autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ducati Satin Paint Care??

So I'm putting this in the moto section on the chance someone may be familiar with the Ducati satin white paint finish on the 848 and the fourthcoming 899 (899 will be the same color/finish as the current white 848's).

What's the typical care recipe for this (or any satin finish as far as that goes) paint? Are you guys pretty much treating it like you would any other gloss clear coated paint job? I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming it's a base coat clear coat finish, just that the clear coat isn't gloss. But like I said, not sure on that.

Regardless, if you guys are treating it like any other paint job, what effect is your favorite LSP having on the finish?

Welcome any other tips or info available on this subject...thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ducati Satin Paint Care??

for that finish i would use opti-seal
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

What every you do, DO NOT USE ANYTING WITH AN ABRASIVE IN IT. That means an AIO (cleaner wax), polish, compound. A polish or AIO will burnish the matte finish to a polished/glossy finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    What every you do, DO NOT USE ANYTING WITH AN ABRASIVE IN IT. That means an AIO (cleaner wax), polish, compound. A polish or AIO will burnish the matte finish to a polished/glossy finish.
    Rreeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy?? Interesting! So to hit that paint/finish up with some 105 will make it shiney? Does it completely polish it out to a perfectly normal finish? Guess that's what I'm trying to learn is how you'd "finish" the surface to make it LSP ready.

I ask that question cause I'm still debating how happy I'll be with a bike/vehicle with that type of finish??

So your comment leads me to another question...(even though the LSP question is still there) How do you take care of any blemishes or other normal wear and tear finish items when they come up?? Or do you not get norma marring, swirls, and light marks on this type of finish?

Post Thanks / Like

Ducati Satin Paint Care??

Larry from AMMO NYC has a video about matte finishes, and in it he visits BMW where they go into detail about what exactly is involved in creating the finish, and how to care for it. Check it out, it's pretty cool! They even show an example of what happens when you polish it.

These finishes are a basecoat/clearcoat finish, they just have an additive that reduces the gloss.

Opti-Coat would be a good option, IMO, as it doesn't add gloss to the surface.

As far as blemishes, scratches, etc... They can't be polished out. The panel, according to the video, would have to be repainted.
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Did some searching and watched some videos, etc. WOW…don't know if I'm ready for that or not?!?! I don't know how I'd handle not being able to wax and polish on my stuff,LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    Did some searching and watched some videos, etc. WOW…don't know if I'm ready for that or not?!?! I don't know how I'd handle not being able to wax and polish on my stuff,LOL.
    That was exactly my thought when I was looking at new bikes, Couldn't handle not being able to polish the paint..

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Almost painted my CBR matte black. I decided against it when my painter told me it might cost more than a typical gloss paint job because defects cannot be wet sanded and polished and it'll be a PIA to maintain and keep perfect. This was 6-7 years ago before the idea of plasti-dip became mainstream.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to work for the Ducati dealer here in town as their parts manger and what everyone else has said is absolutely true. We even sometimes had problems with customers using spray wax on their bikes and it leaving a streaky residue. Also the Ducati matte paint is different some other manufactures like Triumph, in that their matte finish is still very smooth where as some others are as you would expect are a little rough.

However Ducati does sell the panels pre painted and typically are around 500 dollars or so for a panel. On most modern Ducati bikes there is an upper and a lower fairing on each side and then your typical front cowling and tail section. So if you do drop the bike or something you can replace the panel for usually what a body shop would charge to professionally repair and repaint it.

By the way the matte arctic white with red wheels is sick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Easiest way, clean and decon with a wax and grease remover (bodyshop product) and seal with a high quality LSP. Best deal with this paint is to avoid touching it as much as possible. I have a client with a matte SLS. Where they grab the paint shut the door, it's been "polished" glossy just by their hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast