autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Battery Tender Plus Review

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Thank you Dave for this advice. I will try this tomorrow, and see what results I get?

I did contact my local Viper Dealer today, the people who installed the Alarm, and gave them the code readings from the Valet Device-Remote Start Antenna on the Windshield.

I was getting two flashes, and then a pause,, over and over endlessly. Could have stood there all day watching the two flashes, then a pause.

He said this code was related to the Micro-Sensor that detects Bumps, or hits to the vehicle? Hmm, that sounds awful strange to me, but he said he would make a call to his factory techs tuesday, and get back to me ASAP.

In the meantime, I'll try your little tip, and it sure would be really sweet if your little tip cures this issue once and for all!

Everytime a seem to turn around, Batteries seem to skyrocket in price. And those Optimas, which is what I'm using aren't getting any cheaper either. Mark
    Hope it solves the problem

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Ray!

I faithfully use a Battery Tender on my Z06 when I put it to bed for the winter...

My Z06 Corvette is a 2004 and it still has the original battery so I think you have some idea of the importance of having one of these little babies!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Nice review Ray!

I faithfully use a Battery Tender on my Z06 when I put it to bed for the winter...

My Z06 Corvette is a 2004 and it still has the original battery so I think you have some idea of the importance of having one of these little babies!!
    Bobby,

Any chance you would throw together a check list of your storage prep for your car? I have never stored a vehicle. I have been reading a lot and have a plan but more info is good. I just bought this battery tender from AG, be here Monday...of course with some other goodies I DON'T NEED as Michigan's winter approaches!

Thanks
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

While I have privately PM'd our great forum member David about some really great news, I also wanted to share this news with all you folks, so this information was made public, and will reside here for a long time to come, just in case some future member can possibly benefit from such information down the road.

I did this morning as David had suggested, I again hooked up my Battery Tender, the positive Alligator Clip to the Positive Terminal of my Optima Red Top Battery, and hooked the Negative Alligator Clip to a Bolt on the Exhaust Manifold.

All works flawlessly now, no more tripping of my Viper 5701 Alarm while it is armed. Thus, I can now leave the Battery Tender hooked up indefinitely, without the PITA need of unhooking the Battery from the Truck to charge.

Bravo David, and again, a great big thanks! I am one very happy man right now!

Now, I got another little problem with my Tahoe. Seems my 1 month old Covercraft NOAH Cover is turning into a pissing-spraying post, and a scratching post for the neighborhood Cats.

I just cleaned-wiped the cover with a solution of Woolite, and warm water, and am going to go around the cover with a little Febreeze.

I'm also going to check the local Petsmart for what they have, to perhaps spray a repellent product around the ground perimeter.

If that doesn't work, next plan of attack, I'll spray gasoline around the ground of the truck, and if that fails, out comes the Browning .22 Rifle as a last resort! LOL

No, not really, just kidding, too big an animal lover I'm afraid,but I just cannot continue to tolerate these cats slowly destroying this expensive Car Cover. Last resort might be calling animal control here. Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Now, I got another little problem with my Tahoe. Seems my 1 month old Covercraft NOAH Cover is turning into a pissing-spraying post, and a scratching post for the neighborhood Cats.

No, not really, just kidding, too big an animal lover I'm afraid,but I just cannot continue to tolerate these cats slowly destroying this expensive Car Cover. Last resort might be calling animal control here. Mark
    You must realize that rightfully, your Tahoe's-Noah-Cover no longer belongs to you.

Animal lover or not...
    The owners of these cat-pests, evidently, are not!!

I would take whatever actions I deemed necessary to be rid of (and to paraphrase Sheldon):

"Soft Kitty; Once-Warm Kitty.
    Little ball of Dead-Cold-Fur"

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I just cleaned-wiped the cover with a solution of Woolite, and warm water, and am going to go around the cover with a little Febreeze.

I'm also going to check the local Petsmart for what they have, to perhaps spray a repellent product around the ground perimeter.

If that doesn't work, next plan of attack, I'll spray gasoline around the ground of the truck, and if that fails, out comes the Browning .22 Rifle as a last resort! LOL

If you come up with a solution let us know. I get putty prints on both the Wife's and Daughter's vehicles now and then. Being an electrician by trade I have often thought of buying some metal screening (2 pieces) and putting it around the vehicle with an extension cord. The hot on one screen and the neutral on the other. When you cross the two, well you know the rest. If people would contain cats like dog owners have to it would not come to these ideas and I don't want to hear anything about free roaming crap. When something starts destroying my property something is going to change. Mark, glad to have helped with your dilemma.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ray@Autogeek View Post
    I realized I had an underlying problem in my charging system.
    That is why I have a voltmeter installed in my car and on my motorcycle. It tells me what state my battery is in while parked and what my charging system is doing while running.

As for Battery Tender products, they are not very forthcoming in their specifications. I've tested quite a few battery chargers/maintainers in our lab at work and most of them are substandard. The best charger we tested, and it is damn good, is the Xantrex TrueCharge 2, available in a various amp outputs (10, 20, 40, 60). Unfortunately they do not go for $59.99 and start at about $130. They are a charger that can be set to the actual battery type, temperature, etc.

And another thing, I have found batteries to last much longer using the two-stage algorithm (does not have a float mode).

Post Thanks / Like

I customarily get 6 years out of a Harley (Ultra Classic) battery by keeping it hooked up to a Battery Tender. I put the quick disconnects on the battery comming out just in front of the seat. Just hook up the tender each night and never worry about it again. My buddies would normally only get 3 years out of their battery without using a charger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    I customarily get 6 years out of a Harley (Ultra Classic) battery by keeping it hooked up to a Battery Tender. My buddies would normally only get 3 years out of their battery without using a charger.
    I get 8 full years out of my motorcycle batteries with them quitting somewhere in the 9th. This on a motorcycle with no or little electrical drain on the battery. It gets no additional charging during the riding season. During winter storage, the battery is removed and charged using a manual charger that gets disconnected when the battery reaches into the upper 14 V range. When battery voltage drops back down to the mid 12s (usually 2 months later), I'll charge it again.

On my other motorcycles that have electrical drain due to their on-board electronics, I'll use either my Optimate III or CTEK 3300. But even those have not been connected during the riding season and I'll lose 0.1V (12.90 V to 12.80 V) in battery voltage in 3 weeks.

The trick is to measure your battery voltage while the motorcycle is cruising. You hope to see 14.2 V to 14.4 V at 25C or 77F. Lower if hotter and higher if colder.

My car battery is now into its 14th year being charged solely by the car's alternator that is spot on voltage regulator-wise. Its also a maintenance battery (luckily) that I can top up every couple of years. The battery in the last car was 16 years old when the car was sold.

Its all about the correct voltages for the particular type of battery.

There are some good easy to understand technical manuals on battery care if anyone is interested.

YUASA Technical Manual

East Penn Technical Manual
    (discusses GEL and AGM batteries)

As for the "well my battery charger works". Of course it does, but some do a better job of charging/maintaining a battery. Its sort of like comparing an adjustable wrench to using a 6-point socket; they both loosen or tighten a nut, but the socket does a better job.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Battery Tender installed on my HD V-Rod and it worked really well. The battery was always ready to go when I needed it. If I am fortunate enough to get a garage queen car or bike again, it will have one. They are cheap insurance.
    2003 Ford Lightning #3836
    2011 BMW 335i coupe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast