autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: debating to give McKee's Paint Coating a try but...

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,149

    Re: debating to give McKee's Paint Coating a try but...

    Quote Originally Posted by pjunk View Post
    If I do correction, again prefer not to if possible, and then, use McKee's Prep Polish, too much time. Maybe I'll just use Eraser instead.
    I haven't gotten to use my CarPro Essence yet, but that would seem to be a perfect fit to minimize your steps, provide correction/filling/gloss, and provide a durable base for the McKee's coating which has gotten a few hits lately for not being that durable. That's presuming the two would be considered compatible.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    192

    Re: debating to give McKee's Paint Coating a try but...

    Quote Originally Posted by pjunk View Post
    Bob, you're adding more to the list. Haha! If I do correction, again prefer not to if possible, and then, use McKee's Prep Polish, too much time. Maybe I'll just use Eraser instead.
    Just FYI, Eraser won't do anything for the scratches.

    To answer your original question, if you coat it without doing paint correction it will look exactly the same - any defects will still be visible. It will have so gloss and will be easier to clean. I would suggest at lease claying it if you haven't done so recently. Unless it's badly contaminated you can clay a car using a mitt or towel in 30 mins or less. Of course, then you'll want rinse or wash off the clay lube and then do some surface prep using Eraser or whatever else you like.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2015 4Runner Attitude Black (blue flake) // 2012 Sentra Blue Onyx

  3. #13
    Senior Member FUNX650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    20,611

    Re: debating to give McKee's Paint Coating a try but...

    Quote Originally Posted by pjunk View Post
    Bob, you're adding more to the list. Haha!
    If I do correction, again prefer not to if
    possible, and then, use McKee's Prep Polish,

    too much time. Maybe I'll just use Eraser instead.

    Curious to know why you like PP so much.
    •Use whatever you want for the paint-prep prior
    to applying McKee's Paint Coating...but you just
    may be faced with the following assessment:
    -So...you came back...only to complain...that
    things didn't work out according to everything
    the Coating manufacturer promised; what was
    your "prep"?

    {Yes...I've seen this happen
    waaay too many times!}



    Quote Originally Posted by pjunk View Post
    ...any filling.




    Bob
    Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk~Joaquin de Setanti

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17

    Re: debating to give McKee's Paint Coating a try but...

    Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Just FYI, Eraser won't do anything for the scratches.

    To answer your original question, if you coat it without doing paint correction it will look exactly the same - any defects will still be visible. It will have so gloss and will be easier to clean. I would suggest at lease claying it if you haven't done so recently. Unless it's badly contaminated you can clay a car using a mitt or towel in 30 mins or less. Of course, then you'll want rinse or wash off the clay lube and then do some surface prep using Eraser or whatever else you like.
    Eraser, totally understand. I was saying maybe I'll use it after correction since it might be an easier/less time consuming step compared to McKee's Coating Prep Polish.

    Even though my paint is in pretty good shape and furthermore, white, the more I think about it the more I think I’ll just spend the time to correct prior to application.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17

    Re: debating to give McKee's Paint Coating a try but...

    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Use whatever you want for the paint-prep prior
    to applying McKee's Paint Coating...but you just
    may be faced with the following assessment:
    -So...you came back...only to complain...that
    things didn't work out according to everything
    the Coating manufacturer promised; what was
    your "prep"?

    {Yes...I've seen this happen
    waaay too many times!}









    Bob
    Nahhhh, I wouldn't expect too much from my lack of prep. Given the amount of praise of the product, I'd assume any short comings to be on me.

    Yes, I've read the instructions and seen a few videos. But, maybe I should read more carefully, missed the part about filling in light scratches, pores, etc. Haha!

    Thanks Bob!

  6. #16
    Senior Member The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    3,790

    Re: debating to give McKee's Paint Coating a try but...

    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I haven't gotten to use my CarPro Essence yet, but that would seem to be a perfect fit to minimize your steps, provide correction/filling/gloss, and provide a durable base for the McKee's coating which has gotten a few hits lately for not being that durable. That's presuming the two would be considered compatible.
    Just some interesting things about McKee's and Essence.

    Eldorado had issues with McKee's bonding to essence in this thread.

    Quik question about Mckee's Paint Coating

    I ended up giving him a bottle of the prep polish and all is well.

    Mckee's 37 Paint Coating, revisited

    donbeezy just posted back some feedback recently with the same combination in this thread here. McKee's seems to have degraded before the 1 year mark.

    Autopia Forum - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

    Seems like the common thing here is essence and McKee's not playing well at least with these two applications.

    If I was the op I would stick with the recommended coating prep polish to get the best results.
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17

    Re: debating to give McKee's Paint Coating a try but...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Just some interesting things about McKee's and Essence.

    Eldorado had issues with McKee's bonding to essence in this thread.

    Quik question about Mckee's Paint Coating

    I ended up giving him a bottle of the prep polish and all is well.

    Mckee's 37 Paint Coating, revisited

    donbeezy just posted back some feedback recently with the same combination in this thread here. McKee's seems to have degraded before the 1 year mark.

    Autopia Forum - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

    Seems like the common thing here is essence and McKee's not playing well at least with these two applications.

    If I was the op I would stick with the recommended coating prep polish to get the best results.
    Thanks for the info!

    How about I just drive up to Lawndale and drop off my car? It's not too far at all.

  8. #18
    Senior Member The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    3,790

    Re: debating to give McKee's Paint Coating a try but...

    Quote Originally Posted by pjunk View Post
    Thanks for the info!

    How about I just drive up to Lawndale and drop off my car? It's not too far at all.
    Lol don't think you will get off that easy. I'm going to put you to work

    I don't mind showing you how to do things.
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17

    Re: debating to give McKee's Paint Coating a try but...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Lol don't think you will get off that easy. I'm going to put you to work

    I don't mind showing you how to do things.
    Haha! Of course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. McKee's Paint Coating - What topper are you using?
    By spoocobra in forum McKee's 37
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-19-2017, 06:02 PM
  2. McKee's Paint Coating - How to Wash?
    By TJinFL in forum McKee's 37
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2017, 11:10 PM
  3. mckee's paint coating
    By DanielM in forum McKee's 37
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 11-25-2016, 07:11 PM
  4. Review - DP / McKee`s Paint Coating
    By Vegas1 in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2016, 08:03 AM
  5. Question about McKee's Paint Coating
    By Daneen1128 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2016, 01:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» February 2017

293031 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 1234