autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Glass coating cool effect

Glass coating cool effect

I applied McKee's glass coating two weeks ago, I really like the beading and how the water rolls off at anything above 40 mph. The first real test was this past weekend during a snow/ice storm

My wife and I went to Hershey for our yearly trip to see TSO play and go to chocolate world. On the way home we had 80 miles of snow, freezing rain, sleet, you name it. The road grime from the highway mixed with water from the road flew right off. Other drivers had their wipers at the highest speed, I had mine at the slowest setting. On the occasion an 18 wheeler passed me and threw up dirty water a quick spray of wiper fluid cleared everything up. I was very pleased with the coating.

Prior to leaving the hotel I noticed a cool effect, I'm not sure if the coating was to blame as it prevented the water from freezing to the glass, but it was cool nonetheless...

The rest of my car is coated with Uber, the grime and salt didn't really stick I was very impressed. After the 80 miles drive this is what my hood looked like....

All other cars on the road were white from the salt. Today I sprayed the car down with water from the coin wash and all the grime that did get stuck came right off. The timer at the coin op was for 2 minutes, the car looked just washed in that short time. Coatings are the way to go, especially for those Northeast winters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Glass coating cool effect

Hydro on glass is pretty solid product.spray and wipe don't rinse major hydrophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Hydro on glass is pretty solid product.spray and wipe don't rinse major hydrophobic.
    Thanks for the tip, I use hydro on my wife's car, but have always rinsed never wiped. What dilution do you use to wipe? What are the advantages of wiping over rinsing?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

DMB -

Curious on that vid.
    Was that ice sitting from gathering overnight and was that effect just by rolling the windows with no heat on the interior of the car...
    Or was the blowers on the car, defrosting them and that was the said effect.
    Just kurious

Meanwhile in Maryland...[

Had a bit of icy weather in Maryland.

(could not upload preview)
    oneheadlite likes this.

Nice. I don't dare messing with the windows, especially during the winter. Damm pesky german cars and the window regulators.....

Cool! Once you have good protection on your windshield, driving without seems almost dangerous.

No coating on my car, but I do use Uber rinseless at detail dilution on the glass or Meg's D156. I would like to try a coating, but those two work so well and are so economical.

Is that your home in the background? If so, I love the style.

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    DMB -

Curious on that vid.
    Was that ice sitting from gathering overnight and was that effect just by rolling the windows with no heat on the interior of the car...
    Or was the blowers on the car, defrosting them and that was the said effect.
    Just kurious
    The video was from ice gathering on the car. We got out of the hotel, I turned the car on and started scraping off the ice. When I started the whole sheet of ice seemed to move not stick to the glass. I got the idea to roll the window down and see what would happen. The ice stayed in the shape of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Cool! Once you have good protection on your windshield, driving without seems almost dangerous.

No coating on my car, but I do use Uber rinseless at detail dilution on the glass or Meg's D156. I would like to try a coating, but those two work so well and are so economical.

Is that your home in the background? If so, I love the style.
    I completely agree, I will never have a protection free windshield as long as I live. My brother never washes his car. When he was home over thanksgiving I washed, clayed, and added protection to his windows. He called me and said whatever I did to make the water bead and roll off the window was so helpful. I realized I take the benefits for granted anymore.

The building in the back ground is a wood working business/ fire extinguisher business. My house is facing the other way.

Got it. Working the windshield 1st. Could the heat *front blasting* could have helped/aided in melting the ice off the door windows. Just trying to see if was the product that literally kept the ice off and was it aided by some heat ...nevertheleast, kewl vid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast