autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: mckee's paint coating

mckee's paint coating

These forums will make me broke. So now I am tempted to get a coating.

Mckee's seems to be half the price of other coatings. Can anyone comment on the durability and glossiness?

From the slim reviews, people were saying a small 4oz tube will do 8 cars. Is that correct? For other coats a 4oz will do 1 car, so this seems like a steal.

Also since I have all megs products, I want to ensure the proper steps.

Step 1. D114 Megs express wash
    Step 2. Eagles Clay Mitt
    Step 3. Megs Scratch X if needed followed by Swirlx or maybe just Swirlx alone. Will need to see.
    Step 4. IPA wipedown diluted with water 15% in spray bottle. Spritz and spread lightly with MF towel.
    Step 5. Apply Coating. I was thinking one layer for now unless you think otherwise?

Optional step: At first I was told a glaze will not hold under a coating hence IPA. Now some are saying there are specific products. Is that true for Mckee's and is it even worth it?

Re: mckee's paint coating

I used the original version (dp), did a great job. Over 1 year ago on a vehicle that sits out 24/7 in SwFL and it's still doing well.

Senior Member Mike@DedicatedPerfection's Avatar

Hi Daniel, I have used a bit of the McKee's 37 paint coating.

I would say you can get 4-6 vehicles out of the 4oz bottle.

On step three, I would use either Ultimate Compound & Ultimate polish instead of the ones mentioned.
    With the McKee's coating it would be best to cleanse the paint with the McKee's 37 paint cleansing polish. Always beneficial to follow manufacture recommendations to ensure the products synergistic compatibility.

If you have the time, a second coat would be beneficial to ensure coverage.

What glaze are you talking about? The only glaze that would work would be the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze which is not really a glaze. It is a finishing polish. All others glazes will hinder the bonding of a paint coating.

If I could pile on with a question. Is there a required curing time before the car can be exposed to water?

McKee's 37 Product Support Nick@McKees37's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knozzmoeking View Post
    If I could pile on with a question. Is there a required curing time before the car can be exposed to water?
    Great question! Avoid water for 24 hours; avoid washing the vehicle for 1 week.

Maintain with a high quality shampoo, like McKee's 37 Xtreme Foam Formula. You do NOT want to use a cheapo soap that will leave a film on the surface (the film hinders the beading, sheeting and gloss characteristics of the coating).

Enjoy!

Thanks Nick. It figures that after a 3 or 4 month drought in NE Ohio, we would be expecting some rain on both Saturday and Sunday.
    I guess my sister-in-law's coating job will have to wait until next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Hi Daniel, I have used a bit of the McKee's 37 paint coating.

I would say you can get 4-6 vehicles out of the 4oz bottle.

On step three, I would use either Ultimate Compound & Ultimate polish instead of the ones mentioned.
    With the McKee's coating it would be best to cleanse the paint with the McKee's 37 paint cleansing polish. Always beneficial to follow manufacture recommendations to ensure the products synergistic compatibility.

If you have the time, a second coat would be beneficial to ensure coverage.

What glaze are you talking about? The only glaze that would work would be the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze which is not really a glaze. It is a finishing polish. All others glazes will hinder the bonding of a paint coating.
    Thank you for the timely response.

Any reasoning behind UC and UP over my choices? I was thinking least aggressive but I am also new at this.

So you don't think an IPA wipe would be enough to remove all the oils? I just have way too much stuff as it is =) Mckee's polish is also non abrasive, so it is not a two bird one stone deal either.

Some people are slapping products such as CARPRO ESSENCE: EXTREME GLOSS PRIMER before.

Also I am scratching my head with 4-6 uses. Cquartz which is 30ml and optigloss 10ml can only do 1 car.

Also since I always seem to be one step behind. Is this the newest technology? I don't want to just buy this and then a new thing comes out even better.So this product is half price and has more uses and similiar in all aspects to opti gloss? If so and I mess up no biggie I can do it again.

Senior Member Mike@DedicatedPerfection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
    Thank you for the timely response.

Any reasoning behind UC and UP over my choices? I was thinking least aggressive but I am also new at this.

So you don't think an IPA wipe would be enough to remove all the oils? I just have way too much stuff as it is =) Mckee's polish is also non abrasive, so it is not a two bird one stone deal either.

Some people are slapping products such as CARPRO ESSENCE: EXTREME GLOSS PRIMER before.

Also I am scratching my head with 4-6 uses. Cquartz which is 30ml and optigloss 10ml can only do 1 car.

Also since I always seem to be one step behind. Is this the newest technology? I don't want to just buy this and then a new thing comes out even better.So this product is half price and has more uses and similiar in all aspects to opti gloss? If so and I mess up no biggie I can do it again.
    The Ultimate Compound is a better product IMO/IME compared to the ScratchX. Ultimate Polish is much better than SwrilX. No comparison here. UC/UP are actually derived from M105/M205 and are more formulated for ease of use. These two are incredibly easy to use and produce outstanding results.
    The SMAT PACK - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products...

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

I am sure a proper mixture of IPA will be enough to remove any polishing residues left behind from the compounding/polishing step. I just prefer to use the systematic approach.

The McKee's bottle is 4oz, the CQ is 30ml which is considerably less than McKee's. 1oz=30ml.

Yes many people are using Essence as a prep before other coatings with success. I prefer product synergistic compatibility.

What is the shelf life of the Mckees coating? By the time a new application is required on said vehicle (12-24 months) will the bottle contents still be any good?

I'm currently giving this a run on our personal vehicles. Double coats on a Sliver 325i, Champagne A4 and a white Murano, still have half the bottle or better. Ridiculously easy to apply with no real worries of unevenness or high spots. We're only going on a few months here so durability has yet to be proven. Glossiness is subjective and it def has a bit of that candy coated look to it, but IMO far from glosscoat or similar. Could be the color of vehicles however, have yet to use it on vibrant color. Ill give it to the end of the year and judge from there but I could see this slotting in as my cheaper coating option.
    Knozzmoeking likes this.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast