autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: mckee's paint coating

  1. #21
    Senior Member The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    3,624

    Re: mckee's paint coating

    Quote Originally Posted by 01svtL View Post
    How long after the first coat can a second coat be applied? Is a second coat suggested?
    If you get even coverage on the first coat then a second coat is optional. If you decide to apply another coat, I would give it an hour between coats.
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

  2. #22
    Senior Member Misterpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, Il
    Posts
    671

    Re: mckee's paint coating

    I applied DP Paint Coating, now McKee's 37 Paint Coating to my Cadillac and our former Booboo van in early winter. All I wanted was for the coating to last the Chicago winter which it did, easily. My wife drives the Stevenson Expressway 5-6 days a week exposing her vehicle to the usual road chemicals plus who knows what else and the coating made it through with flying colors. The day we traded in the Booboo van on the Beast I gave it a quick wash. The coating was still exhibiting excellent hydrophobic properties, i.e., it was beading water like crazy.

    My ATS 4 would still have had DP Paint Coating on it but I polished it off to use the ******* paint coating ever. After numerous failures attempting to get that **** to work I returned to the DP Paint Coating and am pleased as can be. It's replacement, McKee's 37 is stupid easy to use, and I would heartily recommend it to noob and experienced alike.

    BTW: The wife's Beast has OptiGloss on it. That is another coating that is simple to use. You can't go wrong with either, IMHO.
    2014 Cadillac ATS AWD 2.0 White Diamond Tricoat WeatherTech floor liners.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Desertnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    St Louis metro (Illinois)
    Posts
    2,297

    Re: mckee's paint coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterpaul View Post
    BTW: The wife's Beast has OptiGloss on it. That is another coating that is simple to use. You can't go wrong with either, IMHO.
    I'm not finding an OptiGloss anywhere. Do you mean Optimum Gloss Coat? I'm ready to jump into coatings and researching all of my options.
    Save the Manuals!!

  4. #24
    Senior Member Misterpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, Il
    Posts
    671

    Re: mckee's paint coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'm not finding an OptiGloss anywhere. Do you mean Optimum Gloss Coat? I'm ready to jump into coatings and researching all of my options.
    Yes, Optimum Gloss Coat.
    2014 Cadillac ATS AWD 2.0 White Diamond Tricoat WeatherTech floor liners.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Pristine Image's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    183

    Re: mckee's paint coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Avoid water for 24 hours; avoid washing the vehicle for 1 week.
    Does the length of the cure time increase in high humidity? I'm concerned that due to its size I cannot put my truck in the garage or anywhere else covered so I'd be applying the McKee's paint coating outdoors. What would happen if by chance a surprise summer sprinkle shower would pass through during the curing phase?

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    178

    Re: mckee's paint coating

    Does McKee's coating apply like Gloss-Coat or more like the gtechniq coatings? Gloss coat apply and just wait for it to flash and come back after couple min and remove high spots. Gtechniq coatings have to apply, wipe off pretty much right away other wise it gets super grabby and hard to remove.

  7. #27
    Senior Member The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    3,624

    Re: mckee's paint coating

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwgeek View Post
    Does McKee's coating apply like Gloss-Coat or more like the gtechniq coatings? Gloss coat apply and just wait for it to flash and come back after couple min and remove high spots. Gtechniq coatings have to apply, wipe off pretty much right away other wise it gets super grabby and hard to remove.
    Same as this

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flwBh6zz_5M
    Hantra likes this.
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

  8. #28

    Re: mckee's paint coating

    Here's a half and half of sonax NPS (left) and McKees coating (right)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mckee's paint coating-1472140563569.jpg  

  9. #29

    Re: mckee's paint coating

    pricing question, so ive now coated a few clients cars with 37, really love the stuff. my question to everyone is what would you suggest that one charges for a partial coat? for example my current price for a compact car for wash/clay/quick polish (60%ish) improvement, coat prep and then coat is $300 but ive now just this week have had 4 or so clients ask how much for just the front end? hood, bumper, both front fenders. I was thinking half the price for just the front end, what do you guys think?


    PS, yes im well aware that many of you might think that im under pricing but my current prices have been shown to be the best for my area.

  10. #30

    Re: mckee's paint coating

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    pricing question, so ive now coated a few clients cars with 37, really love the stuff. my question to everyone is what would you suggest that one charges for a partial coat? for example my current price for a compact car for wash/clay/quick polish (60%ish) improvement, coat prep and then coat is $300 but ive now just this week have had 4 or so clients ask how much for just the front end? hood, bumper, both front fenders. I was thinking half the price for just the front end, what do you guys think?


    PS, yes im well aware that many of you might think that im under pricing but my current prices have been shown to be the best for my area.
    I don't detail for a living but I'd be very uncomfortable having someone look at my efforts and have it look half completed. I'd be tempted to turn that work down. JMO.
    wolfy likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sneak Peek Review: McKee's 37 Tire Coating
    By Jaretr1 in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-01-2016, 07:35 PM
  2. Question about McKee's Paint Coating
    By Daneen1128 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2016, 01:31 PM
  3. McKee's 37 = Winner BEST PAINT!
    By Mike Phillips in forum Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-10-2016, 10:07 AM
  4. DP Paint Coating vs Black Label Paint Coating
    By expdetailing in forum Hot topics & Frequently Asked Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-16-2015, 11:39 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2013, 04:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» January 2017

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31 1234