autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: mckee's paint coating

Re: mckee's paint coating

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    The Ultimate Compound is a better product IMO/IME compared to the ScratchX. Ultimate Polish is much better than SwrilX. No comparison here. UC/UP are actually derived from M105/M205 and are more formulated for ease of use. These two are incredibly easy to use and produce outstanding results.
    The SMAT PACK - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products...

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

I am sure a proper mixture of IPA will be enough to remove any polishing residues left behind from the compounding/polishing step. I just prefer to use the systematic approach.

The McKee's bottle is 4oz, the CQ is 30ml which is considerably less than McKee's. 1oz=30ml.

Yes many people are using Essence as a prep before other coatings with success. I prefer product synergistic compatibility.
    Again thank you for taking the time.

Lol you made me feel stupid there. I kept thinking 4ml not ounces. Seems like an incredible bargain. Am I missing something? How do compare this to say gloss coat?

I hear you on the systematic approach. If Megs had a seal, I would be all on that to avoid issues. Since nothing in the auto industry is standardized, it can get confusing.

I last spoke with someone and said I like sealants because you can use a glaze beforehand. He said coating's don't need glaze. Do you think something like Essence will enhance Mckee's?

Also can a coating be applied by a DA for enhanced appearance or by hand only?

This coating is super easy and foolproof. Not all coatings are, but this one is. For the price, its a tremendous value considering how long it will last.
    Misterpaul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoAppeal View Post
    I'm currently giving this a run on our personal vehicles. Double coats on a Sliver 325i, Champagne A4 and a white Murano, still have half the bottle or better. Ridiculously easy to apply with no real worries of unevenness or high spots. We're only going on a few months here so durability has yet to be proven. Glossiness is subjective and it def has a bit of that candy coated look to it, but IMO far from glosscoat or similar. Could be the color of vehicles however, have yet to use it on vibrant color. Ill give it to the end of the year and judge from there but I could see this slotting in as my cheaper coating option.
    Thank you for the comment. Can anyone else comment on how they believe this holds up compared to the favorites Glosscoat and Cquartz?

You touched on something that always bothered me. Do some paints and tires just gloss better? Every time I see a blue Subaru WRX, they always seem to glow and mirror like nothing I have ever seen. Coincidence?

It does depend on the paint. Some colours just pop and some colours give you that high gloss and mirror sheen. My car is a 2016 Mazda 3 sport in the deep crystal blue mica which is a very dark blue. My buddy's Mazda 3 is a 2007 in what I believe is called aurora blue mica, which is a lighter shade of blue but a very intense blue. My car after it was polished was a mirror sheen to the point of having a difficult time seeing what colour it was when you looked at the car from an angle. His is still reflective but it was much more of a shinier blue than anything else. It's reflective but doesn't provide the mirror sheen that darker colours give.

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    What is the shelf life of the Mckees coating? By the time a new application is required on said vehicle (12-24 months) will the bottle contents still be any good?
    I am certain Nick had mentioned 10 years in a previous post before.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielM View Post

Lol you made me feel stupid there. I kept thinking 4ml not ounces. Seems like an incredible bargain. Am I missing something? How do compare this to say gloss coat?

I hear you on the systematic approach. If Megs had a seal, I would be all on that to avoid issues. Since nothing in the auto industry is standardized, it can get confusing.

I last spoke with someone and said I like sealants because you can use a glaze beforehand. He said coating's don't need glaze. Do you think something like Essence will enhance Mckee's?

In my opinion, Gloss Coat is a better coating. My personal opinion. But McKee's is a good place to start due to it's ease of use.

Essence was intended to be used as a prep for Cqaurtz coatings as it saves the need for an Eraser wipedown and allowing it's fillers to do exactly what they are supposed to do. Some have been using essence with other coatings but not all coating manufacturers are going to say they are compatible. Why would they? They would be liable for something if something went wrong mixing different product families.

If you are looking to avoid another polishing step prior to using McKee's, look into some paint prep products such as Wolfgang, Blackfire and Optimum Paint Prep. I would recommend paint prep. You have my PM answer on the reason why.

Thank you for the comment. Can anyone else comment on how they believe this holds up compared to the favorites Glosscoat and Cquartz?

You touched on something that always bothered me. Do some paints and tires just gloss better? Every time I see a blue Subaru WRX, they always seem to glow and mirror like nothing I have ever seen. Coincidence?
    I'd give the edge to gloss coat and cquartz. Again personal opinion.

Some paints just pop more as previously stated. Much of the gloss comes from properly prepping the surface.
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

Senior Member Mike@DedicatedPerfection's Avatar

No problem.

Missing? I haven't used gloss coat so I can't comment there. I have however used the McKee's, BlackFire, Wolfgang, and CQuartz products. The McKee's coating is a great place to start as it is incredibly user friendly and offers great value with decent performance. If you are after the looks and durability expected from a coating with ease of use in mind I suggest Wolfgang Über.

Using a glaze before a coating is not an option. Either glaze and seal/wax or strip the polishing oils away with IPA/Eraser/Paint Prep and then coat it. Coatings need a clean bare surface to adhere to.

I know Essence will enhance the look of McKee's. Just keep in mind the synergistic compatibility.

Coatings are applied by hand only.

Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar

Re: McKee's paint coating

I hear you on the systematic approach.
    The exact term is,

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

That is the chemist that created the first products in a system best knows how to make all the follow-up products in the system because they formulated the initial use or first step products in the system.

This can also have to do with miscible oils when NOT use coatings.

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding

If Megs had a seal, I would be all on that to avoid issues.
    Technically they do have a seal or synthetic paint sealant. What they don't offer in their line as of today is a paint coating, either ceramic or quartz.

Since nothing in the auto industry is standardized, it can get confusing.
    You're not the first one to notice this and you won't be the last. I guess it has to do with no regulations or as I like to say it, no "Wax Police". That's where forums like this can come in real handy as with a couple of questions you can get clarity to the issue.

I last spoke with someone and said I like sealants because you can use a glaze beforehand.
    A glaze is a non-abrasive filling oil that is used to mask defects and/or temporarily make the paint look wet or shiny. The person you spoke with is correct but there's more to the story. You can use a wax or a synthetic paint sealant after any product, i.e. compound, polish or glaze. It has to do with miscible oils and I shared a link to an article on that topic above.

He said coating's don't need glaze.
    He's kind of right... coatings don't need a glaze and should NOT have a glaze as the polishing oils will hinder the coating from making a proper bond to the paint.

Do you think something like Essence will enhance Mckee's?
    It wouldn't enhance McKee's 37 Paint Coating any more than doing a proper job of polishing the paint first with a dedicated polish. There may or may not be a bonding issue between McKee's 37 and CarPro Essence because very different chemists made the products and thus very different chemistry.

As already stated, at this time, coatings are all applied by hand and not machine. Once you use a coating for the first time it will make complete sense.

Great questions Daniel.

I would highly recommend McKee's 37 for your first paint coating. Not only is it super easy to use it's also a great value for your money and in the real world you really don't need a product to last more than a year if the car in question is a daily driver.

Plus, if you like your paint to look glossy but also feel slick then you'll love McKee's 37 Paint Coating. Not all coatings leave a slick or slippery finish behind and in fact some make the paint feel rubbery.

Misterpaul likes this.
    Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

Click on a book to get your own copy.

Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post

This coating is super easy and foolproof. Not all coatings are, but this one is.

For the price, its a tremendous value considering how long it will last.

Well said.

Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

Click on a book to get your own copy.

If Megs had a seal, I would be all on that to avoid issues. Since nothing in the auto industry is standardized, it can get confusing.
    Meguiars does make a sealer-- it's called "Ultimate Liquid wax". It is, in fact, a sealer and not a wax.
    The Guz likes this.

How long after the first coat can a second coat be applied? Is a second coat suggested?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast