autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Detail Class Training Cars for January 2015

Detail Class Training Cars for January 2015

I'll be posting pictures of the cars we'll be using for the first Detailing Boot Camp Class in the year 2015.

This January class is already full. The next classes are,

• May
    • July
    • September
    The classes always fill up so be sure to make your arrangements and get signed up early.

Cool Cars
    For all my classes I have a dedicated car for each tool set so everyone has plenty of hands-on learning time. If you'll notice, the cars tend to be huge so there's plenty of real estate which gives everyone lots of room to work. For paint correction most of the cars are classics, muscle cars and streetrods because my experience shows me that cool cars are more fun and more memorable for the class.

Daily Drivers
    I also have 2-3 modern daily drivers to teach,

• Interior Detailing - Extractors and Steam Cleaners.

• Production Detailing - This is the majority of the detailing consumer market.

With the above all said, here's the first two vehicles I've confirmed for the January 2015 Detailing Boot Camp Class. As I confirm more cars I'll post their pictures to this thread.

1971 Chevy Pickup Truck
    This car is completely contaminated and the exterior feels like #40 Grit Sandpaper!

It's also been buffed out with a wool pad on a rotary buffer so all the paint is filled with swirls and holograms. Our job will be to restore a show car finish.

Paint looks pretty good in this shot....

Light em up!
    Here's what it looks like with the Swirl Finder Light lighting up the paint...

This swirl pattern is called holograms, it's caused by the wrong use of a rotary buffer.

Same thing over the rest of the truck, here's the passenger side truck bed.

Trust
    We earned Orlando's trust to work on this truck after we removed the hologram swirls out of his very cool 1964 Impala Convertible.

Pictures: Detailing Classes at Autogeek - May 2014

Mike Phillips

Re: Detail Class Training Cars for January 2015

First to try new products!

Just a reminder, a lot of new tools, products, pads etc are introduced at SEMA in November and historically Autogeek is the first to have all the cool new stuff and this means the people attending our January class get to be some of the first in the country to test out all the new products!

Mike Phillips

1962 Impala

I was scheduled to use this car in my September class but instead I used Luc's 1956 Dodge Royal Lancer and saved the Impala for this class.

It's been a while since the paint on this beautiful red Impala has had a proper detail so if you're reading this and attending my January Detailing Boot Camp Class this is one of the cars you'll be working on.

So far... so good....

Post Thanks / Like

G'day Mike.

Awesome! I can't wait! Its like having the Christmas tree up six months from Christmas & a present with your name on it sitting under there & you have to wait until Christmas day to open it . . . As much as i want to be there today - the build up just makes this more exciting!!!

Aaryn NZ!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to see what else you can round up.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Mike Phillips

Here's another car for our January Detailing Boot Camp Class

This is a Triple Black 1963 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible. Triple black means it has a black interior, black top and black exterior.

I met the owner at the Palm City Fall Fest car show after about a half a dozen guys told me about the horrible swirls in the paint. Sad thing is he just had his car "detailed".

1963 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible

We'll be using this car to go over one of the major tool categories, perhaps Rupes, perhaps Flex, perhaps?

We'll also go over how to steam clean the interior as well as clean and waterproof the convertible top.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!

That Pontiac looks arrow straight too Mike.

Sooo can't wait!!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Wow!

That Pontiac looks arrow straight too Mike.

Sooo can't wait!!!

We have some surprises for the people attending the January class, can't spill the beans but it's going to be very cool.

Also, I'm going to check and see if Mike Stowe will let me have his 1949 Pontiac Road Chief Convertible for this class too. It's been a few years since it was polished and like the 1956 Dodge Royal Lancer we had at the last class, it's a true show car and would make a great learning car for learning show car paint polishing using Porter Cable style polishers. A good warm up on the first day of class. Plus it's HUGE!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,
    I was curious of the cost to attend your May class?

Mike Phillips

Met my friend Tad at the Tuesday night CarSpa Car Show and he asked me if I'd like to have his car for this detailing boot camp class and I said....

Heck Yeah!

Tad's 1972 Nova

Looks good in this picture but the sun is going down. In reality the paint is filled with swirls and scratches and needs to be clayed badly.

Plus it has a vinyl top so we'll be using this for how to clean and protect vinyl tops .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast