autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Video: How to use the Cyclo Polisher

Video: How to use the Cyclo Polisher to remove swirls

This is one of a series of how-to videos we made in the old studio when I first left Meguiar's to come to work for Autogeek.

These were the early days when both Yancy and I were basically learning via on the job training on how to make videos. This video along with the rest from this time period are scheduled to be re-shot ASAP so enjoy it while it's still available.

How to use the Cyclo Polisher to remove swirls
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjGUVWo62Ps&hd=1]How to use the Cyclo Polisher to remove swirls - YouTube[/video]

Mike Phillips

Re: Video: How to use the Cyclo Polisher

Mike Phillips

And here's our brand new Cyclo Commercial you'll see this Sunday and Monday on "What's in Autogeek's Garage"

Cyclo Polisher Commercial
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omBtip8cKxU&hd=1]Cyclo Polisher Commercial with Mike Phillips - YouTube[/video]

2nd episode on this Sunday! - What's in Autogeek's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Uh oh ... i found the Video section of the forum
    There goes a few more hours

Mike, whilst the production quality and format may have changed and improved over the last few years, there's one thing that has always been constant, and that is your ability to transfer such clear & concise information to your audience.

What is inspiring to me, is that even someone as experienced in 'The Art of Polishing Paint' such as yourself, is still motivated to seek out information then package it in an entertaining but professional format for all of us to enjoy.

Keep up the great work

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen 1 Cyclo here in Australia going back a few years now & am curious after watching the video of the new Version 5 featuring an adjustable speed.

Typically i have worked with a PC(non XP) after rotary buffing and always been very happy with the results.
    However as time is money in business and i know very little about this machine i thought something with greater capabilities could be in order.

Mike, I noticed your hand movement was faster than i have seen on the other instructional videos.
    It has me intrigued to know where the Cyclo sits amongst the PC, Flex and Rotary as far as correction capabilities?
    Is the cyclo capable of taking out light sanding marks with its new adjustable fearture?
    I understand there are Microfibre pads out for the PC now? - are there any for the Cyclo? (would be keen to see some literature if you have something to help explain the benefits of MF pads ... its new to me)
    Given the large axis of movement the Cyclo has, does the 3000opm's compare to the higher opm's of a flex and the porter cable?
    How does one tackle the more intricate panels of the vehicle? (particularly where one of the pads may not be completely on the paint surface)

I can live with the slight extra weight of the machine, i was particularly impressed with the balance of the machine in motion.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lonergan View Post
    Uh oh ... i found the Video section of the forum
    There goes a few more hours

Mike, whilst the production quality and format may have changed and improved over the last few years, there's one thing that has always been constant, and that is your ability to transfer such clear & concise information to your audience.

What is inspiring to me, is that even someone as experienced in 'The Art of Polishing Paint' such as yourself, is still motivated to seek out information then package it in an entertaining but professional format for all of us to enjoy.

Keep up the great work

Thank you for the kind words Paul, it's greatly appreciated. For all the talk there was for years on all detailing discussion forums for more and more videos, now that there are some, for whatever reason the video threads rarely get any comments, so I for one appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

Mike Phillips

Mike, I noticed your hand movement was faster than i have seen on the other instructional videos.
    It has me intrigued to know where the Cyclo sits amongst the PC, Flex and Rotary as far as correction capabilities?
    Nothing is ever going to beat a rotary for pure brute power when it comes to removing a lot of paint fast. Their have been advances in pads and chemicals for use the the PC style tools like microfiber pads and SMAT products but still they don't compare to the speed in which you can remove paint using a rotary buffer.

Removing defects in the paint, whether swirls, scratches, water spots or sanding marks after wetsanding is just a matter of removing paint an a direct drive rotary buffer, rotating a wool pad with an aggressive compound is as fast as you can get and as fast as you want to get.

The other tools are capable of abrading paint so they are capable of doing any type of correction work but at this point in time they cannot outperform a rotary buffer when it comes to speed.

Can you wetsand a car and then use only a DA style polisher to remove sanding marks?

You bet. It just the time factor that differentiates the different types of tools.

Is the Cyclo capable of taking out light sanding marks with its new adjustable feature?
    Any tool that can abrade paint, that is remove small particles of the paint in a controlled manner, (compounding and polishing), can remove sanding marks in the same way you can remove swirls and scratches.

The new variable speed feature for the Cyclo doesn't improve the tools ability nor take away from the tools ability to remove sanding marks as you're always going to be on the high speed settings for this type of work.

I understand there are Microfiber pads out for the PC now? - are there any for the Cyclo? (would be keen to see some literature if you have something to help explain the benefits of MF pads ... its new to me)
    I think I've only tried microfiber pads on the Cyclo one time and I would have to revisit this pad/tool combination to refresh my memory as to the how they performed together.

Given the large axis of movement the Cyclo has, does the 3000opm's compare to the higher opm's of a flex and the porter cable?
    I'd say yes, as long as you're using comparable pads and products.

How does one tackle the more intricate panels of the vehicle? (particularly where one of the pads may not be completely on the paint surface)
    Practice.

I can live with the slight extra weight of the machine, i was particularly impressed with the balance of the machine in motion.
    The tool is light weight and well balanced and virtually vibration free, it is truly unique in operation as compared to single buffing head polishers.

Plus it looks cool... I refer to it as the Buck Rogers Polisher, for some reason it just has a cool, metal retro look to it...

Post Thanks / Like

It's us that should be thanking you
    God knows its hard just to post pictures and an explanation of a detail let alone construct an informative video.
    Its a lot easier to take or choose another picture than it is to re-shoot a part of a video for want of forgetting words etc.

I remember the excitement in the MOL days when everyone wanted how-to videos
    I wouldn't fret though - They certainly are being received well though. Some of them have over 100,000 views

I feel i am quite comfortable with tackling different levels of paint correction, & i can honestly say that after watching a few videos my mind was buzzing with all sorts of questions and new ways to improve my technique and efficiency.
    I can only imagine that less experienced people are having information overload and forget to come back to the forum to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thank you for the kind words Paul, it's greatly appreciated. For all the talk there was for years on all detailing discussion forums for more and more videos, now that there are some, for whatever reason the video threads rarely get any comments, so I for one appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info

Perhaps you should host seminars on how to post in forums too.
    I don't think ANY forum i'm part of gives such detailed replies as yourself.

And as for Buck Rogers?