autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Autogeek's Show Car Garage New Product Showcase - Optimum Hyper Compound

Autogeek's Show Car Garage New Product Showcase - Optimum Hyper Compound

David Ghodoussi form Optimum Polymer Technologies visited Autogeek's Show Car Garage to introduce and showcase a brand new technology for removing serious below surface paint defects as well as sanding marks after wetsanding or dampsanding paint.

Optimum Hyper Compound

Optimum Hyper Compound
    Paint Perfect in a Spray

Benefits and Features
    This ground-breaking spray compound is fast cutting, ZERO dusting and user friendly. A unique blend of proprietary polymers and abrasives allows for rapid removal of sanding marks and deep paint imperfections and defects like swirls and scratches all while creating the look of a polish.

No chalky residue EVER!

Optimum Hyper Compound is available to Professional Detailers and Car Enthusiasts who want an aggressive compound for restoring a show car finish to neglected paint. This is a pro quality compound designed and formulated to be "Body Shop Safe" for use in body shops for removing sanding marks after sanding paint to remove orange peel and other surface texture.

Optimum Hyper Compound can be used with rotary buffers using both wool and foam pads and dual action polishers with foam pads.
    Optimum Hyper Polish
    After removing sanding marks or other paint defects with Optimum Hyper Compound, follow-up using Optimum Hyper Polish, the perfect tag-team for show car results.

Here's a test truck, a custom 1970 Chevy Truck street rod owned by Rick W.

Rick's truck has a customer paint job that was hand sanded and them buffed out but the finish has zillions of swirls from the buffing step and there are still straightline tracers left everywhere in the paint from the hand wetsanding process.

Thousands of swirls give the paint a dull, hazy look...

Scuffs and scratches throughout the finish...

RIDS or Random Isolated Deeper Scratches throughout the finish...

The straightline scratches you see next to the reflection of the overhead florescent lights are leftover sanding marks from the sanding process commonly called Tracers.

After introducing David Ghodoussi and his brand new Optimum Hyper Compound, we took a lunch break, and I machine damp-sanded the hood starting with #1500 Grit and finishing with #3000 Grit discs.

After David and Yancy returned from lunch that's when we demonstrated the Optimum Hyper Compound to a section of the driver's hood.

This is where we left off after shooting the video so this is where I started to finish the job...

First I'll finish compounding the driver's side of the hood...

Here you can see some very light holograms left in the clear coat and this is normal for a heavy cut compound and an aggressive wool pad, the fibers of the wool pad by themselves will impart holograms like you see here but the good news is they are very shallow and are easily removed with the polishing step.

Mike Phillips

Re: New Product Showcase - Optimum Hyper Compound

Continued...

After compounding I used the new Optimum Hyper Polish with the Optimum Red Foam Polishing Pad with a rotary buffer to remove any remaining holograms and restore a clear, high gloss shine to the paint.

The paint started out dull and haze and now it's crystal clear with all the Tracers, RIDS and Swirls removed. Now you can see the beautiful metallic flake under the clear in the basecoat.

Check out the crisp reflections in the driver's side paint...

Next up I sealed the paint using Optimum Spray Wax. Optimum Spray Wax uses a patented UV system that protects against UVA and UVB rays and provides protection for up to 5 months using a patented blend of Polymers and Carnauba. This is a spray-on, wipe-off product that's very easy to use and creates a clear, reflective shine.

Check it out...

The sun shots...

This is a very well build street rod with lots of attention to details, all it needed was a little show car polishing at Autogeek's Show Car Garage with Optimum's new Hyper Compound and Hyper Polish.

And Rick, the happy owner and builder of the sweet 1970 3/4 ton Chevrolet Custom Truck...

New Products Showcased
    Optimum Hyper Compound
    Optimum Hyper Polish

Mike Phillips

Before

Thousands of swirls give the paint a dull, hazy look...

After

Thanks Rick for letting us use your cool truck and thank you David Ghodoussi for showcasing your new Optimum Hyper Compound and polishing system at Autogeek's Show Car Garage!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW. This could really be a revolution. Do you think you would be able to get the same amount of correction with a DA polisher?
    Very nice work Mike!
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like

spray compound... I think i you did a review of this stuff with the cyclo, I would be sold on both.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks to be an awesome product.............................with a rotary! Little concerning for us Flex 3401/DA users in that there have only been rotaries used in the 2 threads about hyper compound. I wonder if it's it's only effective with a rotary?

Mike, was this clearcoat hard or soft?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Re: Autogeek's Show Car Garage New Product Showcase - Optimum Hyper Compound

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt9123 View Post
    WOW. This could really be a revolution. Do you think you would be able to get the same amount of correction with a DA polisher?
    Very nice work Mike!
    No but only because the rotary buffer is a direct drive tool, at this time with current technology, it offers the most power, ability and effectiveness at removing defects with any type of pad and with any type of polishing product.

I believe you can get close with a DA Polisher but comparing head-on under all situations, the rotary because you cannot stop the pad from spinning offers the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini View Post
    spray compound... I think i you did a review of this stuff with the Cyclo, I would be sold on both.
    I used an early version of the compound with the Cyclo on my black test panel and it worked well. Since the newest version of the compound is light years ahead of the first version of this compound I'm sure performance will be increased also.

Note Hyper-Compound or HC is a true SMAT product, it cuts as long as you run the buffer and because it has such super long buffing cycle or what I like to call "play time", you can cut till you're finished with the defect removal for the section you're working or until decide to stop and inspect your results.

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Looks to be an awesome product.............................with a rotary! Little concerning for us Flex 3401/DA users in that there have only been rotaries used in the 2 threads about hyper compound. I wonder if it's it's only effective with a rotary?
    David Ghodoussi says it will work with all types of tools but as of today I have not used the newest version of Hyper Compound with a Flex 3401.

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Mike, was this clearcoat hard or soft?
    If we use a modern Corvette clear coat as a benchmark because I have not seen much change in hardness or softness in their paint systems over the years, I would say it's not as hard as a Corvette clear but it is pretty close.

It's definitely not what I would call a soft paint. It is a "beautiful" paint and the metallic flake really came to life once we restored clarity to the clear coat.

I did some testing with a PC and the Wolfgang Twins on the hood with the owner when he was here for our April 24th class and with good technique all but the RIDS could be removed using a DA and a single Section Pass.

Mike Phillips

Here's the link to the Honda I buffed out using the Hyper Polish and the YouTube videos for the Hyper Polish.

Show Car Garage Video: Optimum Hyper Polish

Optimum Hyper Polish Part 1

Optimum Hyper Polish Part 2

Mike Phillips

***Update***

YouTube Video has been added to the first post of this thread....

Post Thanks / Like

Does AG not sell the optimum wool and foam pad specific to this system? I didn't see it on the website.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast