autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show Car Garage Video: How To Clean and Protect a Cloth Convertible Top

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    You might have better responses if you start a thread
    i was thinking about that, but not sure exactly which area to post it on. Was hoping that by posting on an existing thread it might pop to the top but apparently not since i can't even find it. Any suggestions as to where to post it?

thanks,

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Custom1970 View Post

Ok, i know this is an old thread but i need some help. I have a new Camaro convertible with a light tan fabric top. The recent wet weather has caused some mildew spots to form on the top.

How would you recommend removing and "killing" the mildew to prevent it from coming back?

We cleaned it a few weeks ago and thought we'd removed it, however after a week of wet weather it has started coming back.

The top had been treated with Rag top about 4 months ago.

Thanks,

David ('68 firebird)

Hi David,

Here's your picture....

A common recommendation from people is to use something like a weak dilution of household bleach to kill the bacteria but as everyone knows, this is only helpful if you have a white cloth top.

Let me check with a couple of people I know and see if they have a solution to the problem that is also safe for the colorfastness of the cloth top.

Mike Phillips

i was thinking about that, but not sure exactly which area to post it on. Was hoping that by posting on an existing thread it might pop to the top but apparently not since i can't even find it. Any suggestions as to where to post it?

thanks,
    I don't think there's ever a problem with reviving an older thread, sometimes its a good thing.

Other times, starting a new thread with a "title" that tells people what it is you need help with will get you more and better help.

The way people use forums...

Some people click a link at the top of a forum titled,

I don't but some people do. This is very helpful for forums that don't have a CMPS like vBadvanced, like we do here.

When a forum has a "front page" to organize content, then the "newest threads" are listed on the forum homepage in the box for "Recent Threads". This is what I tend to scan to see what's going on.

AutogeekOnline Forum Homepage --> look for the big box or section in the middle where the recent threads are displayed.

But yeah, if you really want to get attention to your topic, then starting what is called a "Dedicated Thread" with a subject title that tells everyone what it is you're working on and need help with is the best way to get the most and best answers to your specific project/thread.

Posting a question onto an existing thread is called tagging. There area also other types of tagging using "tags" on a forum but I digress...

A good general catch-all forum group to post question is the Detailing 101 forum group.

Auto Detailing 101

Mike Phillips

Hey David,

I contacted my buddy Rick Goldstein, the owner and CEO of RaggTopp products and here's his reply...
    (Thanks Rick)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Goldstein

Mildew can be tricky to remove from fabric convertible topping. The HAARTZ Corporation, original equipment manufacturer of convertible topping for virtually every American and European convertible automobile manufactured throughout the world only recommends using RAGGTOPP Cleaner to safely remove stubborn mildew. Welcome to the Haartz Corporation

The first cleaning should be with RAGGTOPP Cleaner only. Wet the top down with cool water, apply RAGGTOPP Cleaner and lightly brush and leave it on the top for about 15 minutes out-of-the-sun.

Tan fabric convertible topping must be throughly dry to see the results. I would repeat the procedure again and make an assessment to move onto the following solution from The Haartz Corporation.

Stubborn Mildew Stain Only That Cannot Be Removed the Traditional Method

Apply a solution of no more than 1/2 cup (4 oz) bleach and 1/4 cup (2 oz) RAGGTOPP Cleaner per gallon of water. Rinse throughly with cool to cold water.

Please note that excessive soaking with bleach solution can weaken seam threads. Rinse the entire top to remove all of the the bleach solution from the vinyl, and rinse the car body to prevent streaking on painted, chrome or other surfaces. Repeated cleanings may be necessary.

Keeping the fabric convertible topping cleaned and protected with RAGGTOPP Cleaner & RAGGTOPP Fabric Protectant adds extra layers of protection against stubborn mildew. (see attached)

Rick Goldstein

Post Thanks / Like

Must be nice to have such contacts Mike
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Must be nice to have such contacts Mike

It is nice and I never abuse my friendship with my friends in this industry. I try to also maintain a professional posting history on any forum I post to, I recommend the same to others as a person's character is revealed through their words via their posting history.

Rick's a good guy... am fortunate to have him as a friend...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help. I'll try this this weekend, unfortunately think i'll end up having to try the bleach route, was hoping there might be something else. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks again, David

Mike Phillips

Thanks for all the help. I'll try this this weekend, unfortunately think i'll end up having to try the bleach route, was hoping there might be something else.

Will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again, David

You're welcome and please do follow-up and let us know how this plays out.

A lot of people will read this thread into the future and your feedback, either positive or negative will be greatly appreciated by those in the same situation.

SPAMMER
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite a helpful vid man, cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Bumping this thread for a question related to the proper order of things when detailing a car with a convertible top.

I am getting ready to do a Porsche Carrera with a black fabric top (I tested it after watching the video above). Typically, I use CG Citrus Wash RED as my initial decon step in a paint detail. This soap can be kind of harsh. I am wondering if it will affect the top or leave spots? So my main question:

What is the best order to detail when dealing with a convertible?

1) Detail the top first (clean and protect)? Then maybe reapply protectant after the full detail is done?

2) Detail the top as you detail the rest of the car (finish with RaggTopp cleaner at the end of the rest of the cleaning to remove any other soap residues)?

3) Detail last. After the sealant is done on the paint and cured for 24 hours, then clean the top, and apply protectant.

The other concern I have is getting polish dust on the top during the paint detail, so this has me thinking that #3 might make the most sense. But I could always cover the top with beach towels as I polish the paint too, so maybe not...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast