autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Finance Tracking Template

Hey everyone.. So, I've been lurking these forums for months now. I'm pretty sure I spent at least 4hours a day almost every day for the first month when I first got into this. Like most, I bought a new car and decided I wanted to learn how to take care of it properly. Learning more and more, It became an addiction. Eventually I thought "hey! I can detail other cars too!" and that pretty much began my mobile detailing business. I've been doing pretty well, learning everything I know from these forums.

As my services and knowledge grew, I noticed my bank account was shrinking and had to put a stop to buying any product I felt like trying and focus on first gaining profits. So, I read a whole lot about tracking finances and what not but never really found something that worked for me.

With that being said.. I may not have much new knowledge to contribute to the forum, but I figure I can at least share this.

I tweaked a template I found to suit my needs, and track only the information I wanted on it.

Its very simple. You just plug in the numbers and it makes up graphs and adds and subtracts for you automatically. Its in Excel so if you wanted to track anything additional, you can obviously add in the extra fields. I use this template to track my month to month finances, along with a duplicate that I have adding up my entire year.

If you would like a copy of it please send me a PM with your email and I'll send it out to you.

For anyone just starting out, I can't stretch the importance of tracking finances. For the first two months, I was so caught up on learning and buying new products to use.. that even after I made about $700 in customers, my detailing business was still at around -$500 and just sinking as my addiction of trying to new products and learning grew. So even though I felt like I was doing well, I was actually doing bad. Now that I keep track, It definitely opens my eyes and allows me to only buy more when my profits are doing really well.

I've attached a screenshot of it below.

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finance Tracking Template

Thanks for taking the time to put this up mate.
    W.O.T Services
    "make her feel Beautiful again"
    www.wotservices.com.au

Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks simple, and I mean that as a compliment. I love detailing cars, I don't really care for paper work and tracking stuff. About to PM you.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done Sir!

That WILL (and should) help a lot of folks here.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

eric04hare you still around? I PM'ed you about this file about a month ago. I would really like it! If you read this you have a PM from me.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a nice template.

For Mac users I use a program called manager, it's free, you can print your invoices in it and it tracks your profits and expenses, I don't have any experience with any other programs but it seems good so for any mac users unsure of which way to go check it out.
    Jared Balfour - Owner Perfect Finish Detailing
    http://www.perfectfinishdetail.ca

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the late replies everyone. Been off the forums awhile and totally forgot about this. I've sent the form to anyone who PM'd me. If anyone else would like a copy just let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

If your in business you have to ditch the product addiction.on production stuff dI51 will do and buy in 5 gallons such as your dressing and apc.The small specialty polishes and pads autogeek has you covered.A comfortable number once you get established should be 300.00 a month on supplies.

Post Thanks / Like

kicking the addiction is hard, I have most of my products down to my must haves but still dip my toe in a bit to see what's the hot item on the streets, and to keep up with the cool kids.

I track my stuff on the fly with an app called money lover. it keeps all your info on your phone and computer. its working great so far to show whats going out and whats coming in and whats going where.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

All pms replied to!

As a side note I've grown to love HD Adapt. Fortunately I was about to pick up a gallon right before they stopped selling it. Whenever that runs out I guess I'll have to find a replacement product that is as cost friendly and works just as well. I pretty much kicked the addiction by just finding what works for me and sticking to it. I actually got a gallon of almost all products I'd need to use often. Small investment up front, but definitely saves on having to constantly re buy anything.
    Eric The Detail Guy
    Automotive Detailer located in Stickney, IL
    http://www.facebook.com/EricTheDetailGuy