autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I got lucky for a great way to get started as a detailer! Opinions?

Real new to forums so quick back story on me and how I got here. Earlier this year I did a garage paint job on my project '90 CRX which I then did the wet-sanding, cut & buff myself. Was my first time wet-sanding but for the buffing I had to dust off the skills from 15 years prior when I detailed. This basically re-ignited the passion for detailing since I finally had a car worth taking care of again.

So from there I did a couple other cars that my buddy had painted which led to being noticed on FB by a guy who ran a local used car lot where they specialize in Hondas. The other partner at the lot was a guy I knew for 20+ years, bought my first 2 CRX's from him long time ago. They reached out because the guy they had helping them out was very unreliable. He was doing for them $50 wash/details and I hate using the word detail because they were in know way a detail but for $50 thats all they expected.

They buy used Honda's with either clean or salvage titles that need repaired, fix them right and sell them. Right know average 20-30 cars a month. This has been the model that the guy I knew has been doing for 20+ years but just in the past couple years at a retail location. So I started helping them out with the $50 washes(1.5-2hrs tops). I showed him what I can offer by doing a '08 Mugen Civic Si in badly need of some TLC(couple pics attached) and of course I did not do it for $50. I did a couple more of his nicer cars he was going to put on the lot that were dire need. So this showed him the value of putting more money into his details on the nicer Hondas.

Wanting to have a career change and start my own business I thought this was perfect opportunity to get started. I met with him and asked for all his detail work, including the $50 ones. I proposed a simple 3 level price point system: Basic level 1 $50, 2-step paint correction level 2 $200 and 3-step paint correction $300 and that I decide which cars get what once their ready for the lot. I also agreed to maintain cars, for no additional cost, that received level 2 & 3 details until they sell. He agreed to this, so I get a steady base to generate income, pay my personal bills, cover supply cost and put profit in my pocket. Even better is I use their shop with no rent as long as I'm doing their cars and I can even do retail jobs there when I have time by just throwing them $25!

So I'm very excited and feel extremely lucky to have stumbled upon this opportunity and wanted to say thank you to this forum for all its info that has helped me thus far.

Here's pics of the Mugen, not good ones but all I had and my CRX

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think I got lucky for a great way to get started as a detailer! Opinions?

Careful about the, "maintain them until they sell" part of the equation

May turn out to be a great deal for you

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful car!!!
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW...what is with the Nazi Avatar?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Careful about the, "maintain them until they sell" part of the equation

May turn out to be a great deal for you
    ?? Did you mean, "may turn out to be a great deal for them?"

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Beautiful car!!!
    Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    BTW...what is with the Nazi Avatar?
    Erwin J. Rommel was & is still a highly respected general who was not a member of the nazi party, period!! I also highly respect him for his military career & accomplishments. It is no way in support for the nazi regime, ok? I go thru this almost every time I join new forum with people who are not versed on WW2.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the MUGEN buddy! Nothing wrong with your avatar, and you don't have to explain to anyone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    ?? Did you mean, "may turn out to be a great deal for them?"

Thank you!!!

Erwin J. Rommel was & is still a highly respected general who was not a member of the nazi party, period!! I also highly respect him for his military career & accomplishments. It is no way in support for the nazi regime, ok? I go thru this almost every time I join new forum with people who are not versed on WW2.
    None the less he fought for and supported Nazi Germany and Adolf Hitler,(consider the fact he was given control of defending France prior to the invasion would show he supported Hitler pal, regardless of the rumors, guilt by association.) Your avatar is in very poor taste. Just because you say he wasn't a member of the nazi party doesn't change the fact that he was responsible for millions of deaths. Maybe you could use George S Patton if your an American citizen. Their is just no defending your position period case closed. You'll just come off sounding like a Nazi fascist.

PS I have a degree in International Studies and a minor in American Military history.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    None the less he fought for and supported Nazi Germany and Adolf Hitler,(consider the fact he was given control of defending France prior to the invasion would show he supported Hitler pal, regardless of the rumors, guilt by association.) Your avatar is in very poor taste. Just because you say he wasn't a member of the nazi party doesn't change the fact that he was responsible for millions of deaths. Maybe you could use George S Patton if your an American citizen. Their is just no defending your position period case closed. You'll just come off sounding like a Nazi fascist.

PS I have a degree in International Studies and a minor in American Military history.
    None the less he fought for and supported Germany in both WW1 & WW2 as a soldier. I respect both your opinion & jaded interpretation of history with your degree. I would rather focus more on the topic of my post but just for you Please go to 44:00 for 45 seconds of my counter to your argument...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqmQUSGLNJs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    ... Your avatar is in very poor taste...
    I have to agree with you.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    None the less he fought for and supported Germany in both WW1 & WW2 as a soldier. I respect both your opinion & jaded interpretation of history with your degree. I would rather focus more on the topic of my post but just for you Please go to 44:00 for 45 seconds of my counter to your argument...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqmQUSGLNJs
    I wouldn't waste that 45 seconds of my life. Their is no defending and undefendable position, and when it comes to Nazi Germany that's what it is. And as far as jaded, I think the history books clearly illustrate the facts. I'd like to see you use that Avatar at a public or private company and see if you don't get some heat for it and most likely lose your job. Nuff said.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast