autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When you do a detail, do you always claybar the glass in addition to the paint?

Just curious to see how many out there clay bar the glass in addition to the paint when doing a detail job for a customer?

Also do you put any type of protective product or wax over the glass if you are one that does in fact clay it?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When you do a detail, do you always claybar the glass in addition to the paint?

Yes I always clay the glass. It takes so little time and invariably pulls off so much crud that the customer will notice the difference in water behavior.

I will also usually put a water repellent type product on. Over here in South Africa a cheap yet effective product is called Wynns C-Thru and my other alternative is a product called Insta Finish Bead Off.

The water repellent product, especially on the front and rear windows not only improves safety, but is a real WOW factor for most customers....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When you do a detail, do you always claybar the glass in addition to the paint?

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    Yes I always clay the glass. It takes so little time and invariably pulls off so much crud that the customer will notice the difference in water behavior.

I will also usually put a water repellent type product on. Over here in South Africa a cheap yet effective product is called Wynns C-Thru and my other alternative is a product called Insta Finish Bead Off.

The water repellent product, especially on the front and rear windows not only improves safety, but is a real WOW factor for most customers....
    I agree with claying glass when polishing, but are you saying you clay glass with "every" wwash?
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

^ LOL no.... I am saying every time I do a detail on a customers car (almost all of my details are full corrections, and only 1 per weekend) I will clay the glass as well.

On my own car, I will periodically clean/clay/polish/seal the glass, as is needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    ^ LOL no.... I am saying every time I do a detail on a customers car (almost all of my details are full corrections, and only 1 per weekend) I will clay the glass as well.

On my own car, I will periodically clean/clay/polish/seal the glass, as is needed.
    oh thanks
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

I always clay the glass. Hover you ever felt the rear window of an SUV? Loaded with contamination.

I offer glass coatings
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

•Just like auto-paint...auto-glass also gets "The Baggie Test" prior to ever being clayed by me.

•When auto-glass claying is needed, I usually opt for one
    of the many differently-"branded": Rubberized-clay-blocks.
    -IMO: They seem to provide for a more efficient "claying process" on auto-glass than regular auto clays. And:
    -Since auto-glass is much harder than auto-paint:
    There's less trepidation of marring-up their surfaces.

Other auto-glass "decontaminators" I'll use:
    •Meguiar's M04
    •Bon Ami
    •Barkeeper's Friend
    •Glass stovetop cleaners. Note: These glass stovetop cleaning products also leave a RainX-type of water repellant on auto-glass...at a much lower price-point!

Keep in mind that:
    •Decontamination of auto-glass will not improve upon, or remove, any existing blemishes that are in the auto-glass surfaces...
    -That usually takes dedicated auto-glass polishes/pads,
    and a polisher.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Generally, I wash them, then just polish without claying them if they are not too bad. This is only because it's glass and not softer paint/clear coat.
    This method is cutting a corner, however sometimes there is a time crunch.

Post Thanks / Like

alway decon the glass and trim. I use Speedy Prep as i wash. I apply a spray wax to glass on all of my details

Post Thanks / Like

I decon glass anytime I decon paint. Only takes a couple minutes with the nanoskin autoscrub pad and the difference in beading is immediately noticable.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast