autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Anyone every heard of Joseph D. Walters Insurance for detailers insurance???

Heard this place specializes mainly in auto detailers insurance but never heard of them till recently.

Have any of you ever heard of them or are currently using them for your detailers insurance?

I want to find an insurance company that is legit and is well known so I figure if anyone would know of a good place they could send me to, it would be the guys at autogeek!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone every heard of Joseph D. Walters Insurance for detailers insurance???

I have a policy through Farm Bureau but its actually written by another company I believe (in other words, if there is a claim, you deal with Farm Bureau) . I could give you the guys number if you want. he is a friend of a friend and I just recently met him and got this policy. about $85 a month, not cheap, not expensive. or you could always get lower coverage and lower the payment.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone every heard of Joseph D. Walters Insurance for detailers insurance???

Yes that would be great I would appreciate it, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I got quoted from Joseph D. Walters: $3,228.00

Seems a bit expensive right?

Here are all the details they sent me... Not even sure how this is all broken down I thought all I needed was general and garage keepers???

COMMERCIAL INSURANCE PROPOSAL - PREMIUM RECAP

TOTAL CUSTOM PROTECTOR PREMIUM
    $1,607.00
    TOTAL BUSINESS AUTO PREMIUM
    $1,003.00 ($60,000 garagekeepers limit)
    TOTAL UMBRELLA PREMIUM
    $618.00 (optional)
    TOTAL PROPOSED PREMIUM
    $3,228.00

COMMERCIAL INLAND MARINE PROPOSAL
    COMMERCIAL GENERAL LIABILITY PROPOSAL
    COMMERCIAL LINES CONTRACTORS EQUIPMENT INSURANCE:

LIMITS
    Coverage: Broad Form IM 7000

Misc Unscheduled Equipment

$

Valuation "Actual Cash Value"

Deductible (Applies to all items)

$

COVERAGE PROVIDED  LIMIT OF INSURANCE
    EACH OCCURRENCE LIMIT  $1,000,000 Per Occurrence
    GENERAL AGGREGATE LIMIT (OTHER THAN PRODUCTS-COMPLETED $2,000,000 OPERA TIONS)

PRODUCTS-COMPLETED OPERATIONS AGGREGATE LIMIT* $2,000,000
    PERSONAL AND ADVERTISING INJURY LIMIT $1,000,000 Any One Person or Organization

DAMAGES TO PREMISES RENTED TO YOU LIMIT $500,000 (Any One Fire or Explosion)

MEDICAL EXPENSE LIMIT  $15,000 Any One Person

PROPERTY DAMAGE DEDUCTIBLE AMOUNT $ 500 per Claim

Construction Project(s) - General Aggregate Limit (per Project)   Included

Property Damage - Borrowed Equipment ($100,000 Limit) $100,000 occurrence / $100,000 aggregate
    Property Damage - Customers' Goods ($100,000 Limit) $100,000 occurrence / $100,000 aggregate
    Off-Premises Property Damage Including Care, Custody, or Control $25,000 occurrence / $25,000 aggregate, $250 deductible

Voluntary Property Damage Extension $5,000 occurrence / $25,000 aggregate, $250 deductible

Additional Insureds - By Contract, Agreement Or Permit   Included

Primary and Non-Contributory - Additional Insured Extension   Included

Waiver Of Transfer Of Rights Of Recovery Against Others To Us - When Required In a

Contract Or Agreement With You   Included

AUTOMOBILE SCHEDULE PROPOSAL
    COVERAGE
    SYMBOL(S)
    LIMIT OF INSURANCE
    Hired/Borrowed Liability
    Hired/Borrowed Auto
    $1,000,000
    Non-Owned Liability Other Than Garage Service Operations
    Liability
    $1,000,000
    Garagekeepers' - Direct Coverage Primary
    $60,000.00 (other limits available)
    $500 Coll and $100 each auto/$500 per Occ OTC All Perils
    For a higher gargekeepers limit of:
    $ 90,000 $120,000 $150,000
    Add: (additional premium)
    $251.00 $476.00 $688.00

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

wish I knew about all those technical numbers. but anything in the millions is probably way more than you would need. depends on type of building and value of vehicles driven.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like over coverage (for a home based business).

And on the Farm Bureau thing. Your agent may have been able to source a policy, AS A BROKER that wasn't something that Farm Bureau writes. That doesn't mean that they'll send out their adjusters in the event of a claim.

As such, (and if it is actually a policy that they did not underwrite) if there is a claim; You WILL deal with whatever company wrote the policy. Your agent may still be able to have some interaction as such, just as he would for any of his clients.... but the paper itself is what counts. And if that paper is written by XYZ company, then XYZ company will handle the claim. Which if they have their own adjusters then they'll send one, or most likely these days it'll be an Independent Adjuster. Doesn't mean it's a bad policy.... (don't want to sound that way at all) just that the claim falls squarely upon the company that holds the paper (not the agent).

(I say this as my experience has shown workings in the industry to hold those truths. At one time or another I did:
    Operating a commercial towing business for 18 years.
    Dealt with multiple insurance companies as clients.
    Held the position of Insurance Committee Chairman for our state towing association (at one time).
    And.... CarMomma still works in the industry (some 32 years now).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info cardaddy.

I plan to do mainly mobile with some cars at home for friends and family mainly but mobile for customers.

I have goals for ferrari priced vehicles so I don't want to limit myself but at the same time I don't want to pay too much either for just getting started.

I work on some older classic cars/muscle cars and it would be very important to have insurance especially with these cars being that of the clear coat condition and amount left.

I also have a friend who wants me to do his Audi RS7 because he is so impressed with my work, but even for that car which is over $100k + I want to have plenty of coverage...

So is it better lets say if I'm in California to get a Broker who is in California you think, or does that not matter?
    This particular place I got my quote from is in Pennsylvania so they are almost as far away as can be.

Just trying to figure it all out so to do it right the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

I use them for pressure washing insurance and they are fantastic. Not sure about detailing, though

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe,

I wouldn't be terribly concerned with where the company is based, there are a LOT of insurance companies in PA. But I would get multiple quotes, from multiple brokers. It's my experience that even the same company can have different prices with different brokers.

The most important part is that your broker/agent have a clear understanding of what you are trying to accomplish. Some don't.... well MOST don't! It is also important to get a policy with a company that writes a lot of the type of insurance you need, and asks the right questions when you are sourcing the policy.

From there it's just choosing the one that best suits your needs. I wouldn't go in with a huge liability and umbrella policy up front if you don't expect to need that much coverage for a while. You can always add coverage later, instead of paying for what you don't need.

Post Thanks / Like

Joseph D Walters is an agency. Your quote should disclose who is actually providing the coverage. (Name of Insurance Company)

You should check AM Best for the rating of the insurance company. Since, I do not know the nature of your business, you should get an additional quote from an independent insurance agency.

Describe the nature of your business and all activities to your agent. He should explain what coverages you need and what they do and do not cover.

Any agency can give a quote....you should hire someone that is your business insurance consultant.

If it helps, I was in the business many years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast