autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Website makeover. Opinions please (and a question on HTML for the geeks)

Just completely overhauled my website design and layout to something a little more sleek. Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully images don't take too long to load (like with my older design).

OKC Headlights

So here's my question: I used the "logo" option which places the OKC Headlights pic at top. In the editor, it stays fixed on the background and scrolls with the page. However, if I pull it up on IE or Firefox, it scrolls with the page and covers the text.
    Does it do it for you guys as well? I assume it would. So how can I keep the logo pic in a fixed position? I'm not very tech savvy but can copy/paste some HTML like no other. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/input.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Website makeover. Opinions please (and a question on HTML for the geeks)

I like it. I like the top picture/logo. Gets your attention. Good job.

Can't help ya out with the tech question...
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great.

I would center the page, rather than have it left-justified. So the gap on either side of the content is equal. Contact weebly and see if they can help you figure out why the header logo isn't fixed when you select it to be.

Your gallery page is also a loading nightmare. Maybe simplify it a bit, or use smaller file size images.

Why are additional lenses significantly cheaper than the first? I would put the price for a pair and cut out the extra stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it looks great! Sharp, well layer out. Pics do load a bit slow but I thought it was my connection, lol. I was also surprised my your pricing, your website looks high end, and the pricing looks cheap. I agree with the previous post, seeing pricing by the pair/set seems more logical.
    I'm a Professional, Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

looks good. Clean and functional.

for the logo to stay in one place, you'll have to use CSS with "position:absolute". PM me if you need more help.

Good job though man!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@IncrediblyDetailed View Post
    Looks great.

I would center the page, rather than have it left-justified. So the gap on either side of the content is equal. Contact weebly and see if they can help you figure out why the header logo isn't fixed when you select it to be.

Your gallery page is also a loading nightmare. Maybe simplify it a bit, or use smaller file size images.

Why are additional lenses significantly cheaper than the first? I would put the price for a pair and cut out the extra stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by MshawnBauer View Post
    I think it looks great! Sharp, well layer out. Pics do load a bit slow but I thought it was my connection, lol. I was also surprised my your pricing, your website looks high end, and the pricing looks cheap. I agree with the previous post, seeing pricing by the pair/set seems more logical.
    Thanks. I did go through and compress the file sizes down some time ago. There's about 60 images and they total about 12MB. Maybe I should go smaller and cut it down to about 30 images.

The prices I set were to give a discount on a 2nd or 3rd vehicle although most customers only have a pair of lenses. Setting prices "per pair" and do half price for a single lens does have a downside. Let's say a customer wanted me to do a polish job on just one lens and live 20 minutes away. Price is $50/pair with price for a single lens is 35. If I just priced it at half of $50, I'd be doing it forty minutes of commute for $25 less overhead/cost--makes it almost not worth it. So I set single lens pricing a little more than half to help with my initial cost. Subsequent lenses would take less material and prep/clean-up time since I'm already at the job site and I don't have to spend extra time or money in acquiring a customer, so I pass some savings onto them. Does that make sense? Thoughts on that?
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the template you chose intends for you to use a smaller logo in the left column/sidebar above the navigation. That column has a fixed width of 250px. However, your logo is 606px wide (plus the 396px left margin that is added to center it on the page) causing it to come out of its fixed width container and flow over top of your other content.

The left column/sidebar also has a fixed position on the page, meaning it "sticks" to the side of the page and stays within your browser's viewport while the rest of the page's content scrolls.

Without changing a bunch of code and hacking up the template, the only thing you can really do is eliminate the fixed positioning of the left column. This will stop the left column from sticking and keeping the navigation always in view but will fix your issue.

Not sure if you can edit the stylesheets for Weebly's templates. If you can, in main_styles.css, look for the following:
    #sidebar { width: 250px; position:fixed; height:100%; top: 0; left: 0; }

Change position: fixed; to position: absolute;

If you can't edit the stylesheet, drop the following HTML in the header.
    <style>
    #sidebar { position: absolute!important; }
    </style>

If having the left column stay within the viewport at all times is a must have, the other option is to make your logo smaller to fit within that left column.

Post Thanks / Like

Loser, thank you very much for the info and I will look into it tomorrow when I have more time. I just removed my logo for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, did some fiddling around for a bit and FINALLY got it working exactly how I want. HTML and CSS code looks like a calculus book to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, glad you got things fixed.