autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions on starting up?

Now before I go about asking, I need to say that what I have found in searching here seems to be like a golf ball in a tile bathroom. Its all over the place and doesn't really seem to point out certain concerns.

So yes I have been searching and still am, but its sometimes just best to ask as well.

Anyways my thinking was this, I have a few packages that are simple. As I don't have the machines such as a DA polisher or steamer, etc. to get started. So, like I read here K.I.S.S. Keep it simple, simon. Mostly all I have is a shop vac, a orbital buffer for light weight stuff, the products, two buckets and my hands. From what I read, that is how a lot of people started out and grew. As such, I would like to do the same.

However, I am from a small rural town in Georgia, with a few "mom and pop" car wash places. So how can I differ my services from them in order to grow a new business?

I see some people here charge about $50.00 an hour for just basic wash, clay, wax, windows, vacuum, so on and so forth. But how do you convince, say your friends or family, this is worth it?

Honestly can't see most of them wanting to shell out $30 dollars for it either.

Should I, being from a more rural area, and just starting out, maybe have a lower hourly rate to base estimates off of?

These have been my main concern and haven't found a clear answer to it. I have read all the stickies, and done a lot of searching, checked what most offered on this site.

So if any of this sounds like it is repeating what others have asked, I am sorry.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions on starting up?

A lot has to do with how confident you are. My main job is personal training and 4 years ago I only felt comfortable charging $10 bucks per session. Now I charge up to $40 an hour.

Cost of living is a factor too but if you are not confident you will not convince somebody you are worth $50/hour

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes a higher price brings greater perceived value, sometimes it can be too high for your market also.

If there are places in your region that do great work for cheap, you will have an uphill battle. If there are mediocre establishments that your work stands out against, perceptions become reality very quickly and you will build a higher end clientele quickly.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, research those mom and pop shops and see what all they offer and what they're charging for it. When I do details for people I figure $20-25 an hour plus replacement costs for materials so on and so forth. Figure up your costs first off. Then decide what you feel you should charge that will be worth it for you. Yeah your friends might not want to shell that out so figure up somethin that you'll both be happy with. My inlaws are not people that like to spend a lot if money and sometimes have a hard time seeing the value of spending more money for something. I wash, clay and seal their vehicles for $100 a piece. Anyone else would be more than that. But I would rather be the one doing it so I give them a break, plus they're family. Did the same thing for a friend of mine on his Mazda Speed3. Charged him $180. Figure out what you feel you are worth minimum and start there. Give people intro rates too since you're starting up. Your area will greatly determine what you can charge for a service as well. I know I couldn't start off full time charging even $20 an hour where I live. There's too many shops offering "full details" (fast wash with glaze thrown on the vehicle) for $60-90. You can't compete with that when most people are honestly too stupid to know the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Charge what you feel comfortable with making. If you dont youll hate doing it and eventually quit.

There shouldnt have to be any convincing when it comes to selling services. If there is, then youre in the wrong business or youre selling to the wrong customer

You dont have to compare youre services to anyones really.. especially the guys on here. Just do your thing and dont force it. Just have fun and know what youre worth

Dont be a slave.

And i wouldnt charge family. Just have them pay for materials. Whenever i read about other guys charging family i get so damn confused. Its family!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kengo123 View Post
    And i wouldnt charge family. Just have them pay for materials. Whenever i read about other guys charging family i get so damn confused. Its family!
    No, I don't either, except like the cousins way off and aunts and uncles. Even then its just enough to cover the soap and a few supplies.

But otherwise I see what ya'll mean. Back to digging around, also will look into those places next week.

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever someone who doesn't know about detailing is a little on the fence about having their car done, I go through and show them exactly what I'm going to do and explain to them what each step does. I also try and document the stages of some of the bad cars I do. I show them the step by step and they usually will realize that the higher price is well worth it over a basic car wash "Detail".

Also as others have said, if I detail family cars, I do it for a flat $50. Covers my materials and a little beer money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you are in a similar predicament as my self. However, I'm sorta in between. I live in the middle of Reno NV and Carson City NV. Reno is a big city where Carson Citys nicest car is a 2002 Ford f150... But there is an old saying "if you build it they will come". So here is my advice.

First find the "$500 detail business start up" thread on here that will help you a bunch. Get your hands on a harbor freight DA. They are cheap and will be enough to get you started. Once you master that you will realize what sets your abilities apart from those mom and pop shops.

In your position I'd start out very small. Don't quit your day job. Schedule appointments only on the weekend type of thing.

It's a work in progress and it takes time. The avg is about a year before you start to see a steady customer flow. Get educated then educate your potential customers.

I'd highly advise you to read Renny Doyle book.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengo123 View Post

I normally wouldn't either. But it's mainly my wife that makes me do it lol. It's her parents and she deals with it, I just do the work lol. I did her sisters car when she got her license for the cost of some clay. I normally wouldn't charge for it unless I was in a financial spot that I couldn't replace materials if I didn't charge. If I did my moms I wouldn't charge her lol.

Post Thanks / Like

here are a couple things you can do:

You're obviously a car guy.. you posted 2 pics of your TA at a car show.. with other show cars:

a) inspect as many of their cars paint as possible. See if ANYONE has 85% corrected paint. This will let you know SOMEONE is doing more than a regular wash. Find out who the person is doing paint correction and see how that person is doing

b) talk to the owners and see if they have been looking for a high-end/specialized detailer to take care of their pride rides

c) go talk to the owners and TELL THEM you're a high-end detailer, and your BEST packages start off at $550.... See how they react to those prices.. if they say no, ask them why wouldn't they pay for your services.... people usually think its ONLY the price that makes them say no, but a lot of times they just need to tweak a few things here and there to get them to say yes.. if they say yes to your prices, ask what expectations do they have with paying so much

there even more ways to gauge your local market, but these should get things going

Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast