autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A Few Tips for Those of You Starting a Detailing Business

I'm in that process right now, this being the 2nd business I have launched, the 1st being very successful and my main source of income. I keep reading threads in this section and see quite a few basic questions being asked and figured I would put my 2 cents into a post to help some of these people. Some aspects of business are the same no matter the type of business you are starting.

1) Before you lay a hand on anyones vehicle for a fee, get insurance, you may need liability only or you may need more it depends where you live and how you do business. 1 lawsuit can ruin your financial stability if you do not have said insurance, the ramifacations of legal actions are far reaching ones that you must protect yourself from. If you can put the large assets like your house in the spouses name doing so is smart (for a sole proprietor as your business is not it's own seperate entity).

2) Write a business plan 1st and foremost. The business plan will answer all of your questions about overhead and if a specific amount of business will create sustainability. A business plan is like a roadmap, a good 1 is invaluable, a poor one is useless so put real effort and time into it.

3) Know how to properly track financials, I use quickbooks because it's easy to give to my CPA, it's also the most common software used for this task by small to medium sized businesses.

4) You can't start a small business with high overhead, you will fail. You don't need every toy under the sun to do a good job but as business grows and profit increases some toys are worth the money. When it comes to equipment it is better to buy great once than crap often. Well designed equipment not only lasts longer and takes more abuse without dying, it saves time and frustration though don't forget price does not always dictate quality so ask any questions you have about specific equipment on this forum, It's been helpful when making such decisions for me.

5) Most of the effort of owning your own business is not put towards the main service offered but instead put towards managing the business it's self and networking with others, trying to get the name out there and get customers. The main service in this case detailing is what I'd call the fun part.

6) Don't start a business doing something you don't enjoy doing. If you end up hating what you do, find something else otherwise you will just complain about how bad it is and how others should look elsewhere...in which case so should you.

7) Competition will come and go, never compete on price. When you drive price lower people start expecting you to work for peanuts (people you usually want to avoid). When dealing with affluent clients they will avoid the cheap guy because they know anything that takes real time is not cheap and people undercharging are more likely to cut corners. You are also able to upsell these clients much easier as the cost in relation to the value of their vehicle is a much lower percentage than the cheaper client with a corolla, the guy with the corolla is a hard upsell.

8) Keeping in mind point #7, you don't make any money sitting on your butt. It's better to take on a horrible interior at your going rate then to sit on your butt waiting for an exotic to pull up looking for a correction. New businesses can't be picky in what they detail but price the job according to the time and products you will be putting in.

9) Your website and promotional material need to be checked for spelling and grammar errors before they are published. Errors on a forum like this are fine, I make typos and gramatical errors in posts often but promotional materials are different.

10) Use social media and network with others in the automotive industry, many people check for a facebook page before a dedicated website these days and sometimes a local body shop or mechanic will either need your services or be able to refer people to you.

11) What will make or break a business is you. The advice of others only goes so far. Get out there and work your craft!

That's it for now, I have a little too much time on my hands while recovering from a broken femur.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Few Tips for Those of You Starting a Detailing Business

Thank you so much for your advice. One thing i would like to add is this business isnt for every one. Just because you know your way around a buffer doesnt mean that owning and running an auto detailing business is right for you. Dont let that dieter you from your dreams but its the reality. Not only do you need a business mindset but a good personality and people skills are a must to succeed. You will need to talk to people on a daily basis and they will ask you questions. If you cant talk back or answer their questions in a friendly professional demeanor then chances are they wont want to work with you.

Post Thanks / Like

First, sad to hear about your femur. Hope you have a great time in recovery, and everything finishes out fine.

Second, Thank you VEEEERY much for this thread.

I'm working my way into my own business, and that's something I enjoy a lot doing - Car Detailing. Actually I'm already working full time, but I already feel the need to sit down and rethink about everything you've said.

My business is working so great I'm afraid not being able to handle all work I have. If I don't start administrating it from the beginning, I don't know how I will survive in the long run.

Your tips are very good, and means very much to me.

You just can't imagine how important it was for me to read a thread like this.

Everything you put into it is compatible with what I believe is correct and true, so I'll use this as a checklist and follow every single step you've stated here.

Again, thank you for this initiative,

Wish you the best,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing this out. As someone new in this craft and as someone doing detailing on the sides, This will be of great help. Although, not everything is really applicable where I am currently based--Philippines. As of the moment, I don't do paint corrections yet. I already have the needed hardware but I'm still into practicing on test panels that I borrow from friends. But I have my dad's car--a really old Toyota Corolla--to start with pain correction.

Post Thanks / Like

excellent tips! i personally need to look more into insurance. So far so good though!

Post Thanks / Like

Great and wise words! I second the lowering prices bit - just don't. In fact, I second the entire post!
    Eco-friendly, Mobile Detailing Services at Your Doorstep! Servicing North Bay Area.
    Like Our Company Facebook Page
    Check Out Our Website for more Information

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdestroyer View Post
    I'm in that process right now, this being the 2nd business I have launched, the 1st being very successful and my main source of income. I keep reading threads in this section and see quite a few basic questions being asked and figured I would put my 2 cents into a post to help some of these people. Some aspects of business are the same no matter the type of business you are starting.

1) Before you lay a hand on anyones vehicle for a fee, get insurance, you may need liability only or you may need more it depends where you live and how you do business. 1 lawsuit can ruin your financial stability if you do not have said insurance, the ramifacations of legal actions are far reaching ones that you must protect yourself from. If you can put the large assets like your house in the spouses name doing so is smart (for a sole proprietor as your business is not it's own seperate entity).

2) Write a business plan 1st and foremost. The business plan will answer all of your questions about overhead and if a specific amount of business will create sustainability. A business plan is like a roadmap, a good 1 is invaluable, a poor one is useless so put real effort and time into it.

3) Know how to properly track financials, I use quickbooks because it's easy to give to my CPA, it's also the most common software used for this task by small to medium sized businesses.

4) You can't start a small business with high overhead, you will fail. You don't need every toy under the sun to do a good job but as business grows and profit increases some toys are worth the money. When it comes to equipment it is better to buy great once than crap often. Well designed equipment not only lasts longer and takes more abuse without dying, it saves time and frustration though don't forget price does not always dictate quality so ask any questions you have about specific equipment on this forum, It's been helpful when making such decisions for me.

5) Most of the effort of owning your own business is not put towards the main service offered but instead put towards managing the business it's self and networking with others, trying to get the name out there and get customers. The main service in this case detailing is what I'd call the fun part.

6) Don't start a business doing something you don't enjoy doing. If you end up hating what you do, find something else otherwise you will just complain about how bad it is and how others should look elsewhere...in which case so should you.

7) Competition will come and go, never compete on price. When you drive price lower people start expecting you to work for peanuts (people you usually want to avoid). When dealing with affluent clients they will avoid the cheap guy because they know anything that takes real time is not cheap and people undercharging are more likely to cut corners. You are also able to upsell these clients much easier as the cost in relation to the value of their vehicle is a much lower percentage than the cheaper client with a corolla, the guy with the corolla is a hard upsell.

8) Keeping in mind point #7, you don't make any money sitting on your butt. It's better to take on a horrible interior at your going rate then to sit on your butt waiting for an exotic to pull up looking for a correction. New businesses can't be picky in what they detail but price the job according to the time and products you will be putting in.

9) Your website and promotional material need to be checked for spelling and grammar errors before they are published. Errors on a forum like this are fine, I make typos and gramatical errors in posts often but promotional materials are different.

10) Use social media and network with others in the automotive industry, many people check for a facebook page before a dedicated website these days and sometimes a local body shop or mechanic will either need your services or be able to refer people to you.

11) What will make or break a business is you. The advice of others only goes so far. Get out there and work your craft!

That's it for now, I have a little too much time on my hands while recovering from a broken femur.
    Quote Originally Posted by fmahmad88 View Post
    Great and wise words! I second the lowering prices bit - just don't. In fact, I second the entire post!
    #7 for the win. Good thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice! Most of the new guys don't under stand building a customer base can car years and to do only paint correction can take even longer. This is age of entitlement and these young kids starting detail business want it all now! Building a business is very hard work and long long hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice!! So many people in this business fall in love with the detailing aspect and the products and greatly neglect the business side.

Not the end of the world if you are a part timer but if you ever want to make this a career you have to be a business person first and a detailer second.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably the most helpful thread i've read so far. Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast