autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Working with dealerships?

Hey gang,

I have read through several threads about the pros and cons of working with dealerships for steady income... I understand it is hard work and I understand why some people don't want to get into that type of work. My goal right now is to immediately move into full time work mode with my detailing business so I am going for it... I just have a few questions for the pros who do multiple dealer cars every day.

What I am wondering is what are some tricks you pros use to blow through these volume details so you can actually still turn a profit? I typically spend about 8 hours on a full detail but I need to essentially cut that time in half to have any hope of making a decent living. The dealer only wants to pay about $100 per car... I refuse to do hack work so I am just hoping to learn some pro tips to work quickly and produce a quality turn around.

I know this is sort of a vague question: how to work faster? I guess my main question is how do you change your process to work faster for a dealer car compared to a retail customer's car? Thanks in advance!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Working with dealerships?

I know my questions are vague... I really don't know any other way to ask it.

Let me try to rephrase: How do I turn out a quality detail, quickly, without becoming a dealership hack? I have never worked at a high volume detail shop, nor am I familiar with any special techniques to work "faster" and still produce quality results...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post

I know my questions are vague... I really don't know any other way to ask it.

Let me try to rephrase: How do I turn out a quality detail, quickly, without becoming a dealership hack? I have never worked at a high volume detail shop, nor am I familiar with any special techniques to work "faster" and still produce quality results...

I am not a pro, but I would guess you need to just detail a car vs. paint correction. Use some AIO products, no clay.... Offer paint correction, engine cleaning.... and other options as upgrades to the $100 basic detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Do guys who do dealer work turn a profit? They may use the dealer money just to tread water and keep the lights on.

I wish I could help. Everyone keeps warning me to stay away from dealer work so I do.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming these are mid to lower level dealerships (i.e. NOT Ferrari or Rolls Royce). So these are probably vehicles that were daily drivers run through the water blaster car wash and given the quarter machine vacuum treatment. Here are some best practice tips for knocking these out.

1. Make a list in the order you do things and stick with it: This will prevent you from doing things twice. Also make sure the list makes sense to you and has a definite logical flow to it.

2. Have a set pattern of how you wash the exterior/detail the interior: Again, this will prevent you from doing things twice or standing there for a few seconds wondering if you washed a section or not. If you follow a set pattern for every vehicle you'll always know for sure things are done and if you get distracted by something you know right away where to pick up where you left off.

3. Minimize "down" time: Probably the best example of this is waxing the vehicle. Generally it takes a good 10 to 15 minutes for wax to dry so it comes off clean with the swipe test. This is a perfect time to apply tire dressing, clean the exterior glass, dry off wheels, and anything else you need to do.

4. Organization: This goes along with having a set pattern of doing things. Have your items organized in the order you need to use them so you're not fumbling around looking for the next thing you need.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could help Nick, I've got no clue other than the same things you have thought of probably. All I can think is hustle hustle hustle and all in ones or filler lsp.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer650 View Post
    I am not a pro, but I would guess you need to just detail a car vs. paint correction. Use some AIO products, no clay.... Offer paint correction, engine cleaning.... and other options as upgrades to the $100 basic detail.
    Yeah. I agree. I have been crunching some numbers and that is the only way the math works out is by cutting out steps. Cut out clay, or maybe only clay the hood/roof/trunk. 1-step AIO with MF pads, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rustytruck View Post
    Do guys who do dealer work turn a profit? They may use the dealer money just to tread water and keep the lights on.

I wish I could help. Everyone keeps warning me to stay away from dealer work so I do.
    Yeah, I keep hearing the same. My thought process is if I can lessen the time spent on each car it actually wouldn't cut into my margin so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctgrenade View Post
    I'm assuming these are mid to lower level dealerships (i.e. NOT Ferrari or Rolls Royce). So these are probably vehicles that were daily drivers run through the water blaster car wash and given the quarter machine vacuum treatment. Here are some best practice tips for knocking these out.

1. Make a list in the order you do things and stick with it: This will prevent you from doing things twice. Also make sure the list makes sense to you and has a definite logical flow to it.

2. Have a set pattern of how you wash the exterior/detail the interior: Again, this will prevent you from doing things twice or standing there for a few seconds wondering if you washed a section or not. If you follow a set pattern for every vehicle you'll always know for sure things are done and if you get distracted by something you know right away where to pick up where you left off.

3. Minimize "down" time: Probably the best example of this is waxing the vehicle. Generally it takes a good 10 to 15 minutes for wax to dry so it comes off clean with the swipe test. This is a perfect time to apply tire dressing, clean the exterior glass, dry off wheels, and anything else you need to do.

4. Organization: This goes along with having a set pattern of doing things. Have your items organized in the order you need to use them so you're not fumbling around looking for the next thing you need.

Great tips Number 2 & 4!!! After you have repeated something enough times in the same order your muscle memory will do it faster than your brain thinks it.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

And that's another thing work by machine as much as possible. You'll work faster, get better results and won't use as much elbow grease.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to work at a few dealerships as the used car detailer and I can tell you this. The dealership will want the car back ASAP, the sooner it hits the lot the happier they are. Claying a used car for the lot would be a waste of your time, as would using an expensive finishing wax. The dealership I last worked for actually sent cars out to be detailed as well as doing them in house, and what I found out is that most detail shops would have a couple guys working on one car at a time, which would speed up the process.
    If you are looking for volume, then I say go for it.
    2007 Chevy Equinox
    2008 Saturn Outlook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast