autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Not judging a book by it's cover

I am guilty of this and always try not to but when it comes to owning a business in which you clean things for people its hard not to judge cars (people) before you get to them.

I recently got a call from a gentleman who picked up my business card from a local coffee shop. He called and wanted to schedule an older, early 90's, 4Runner to have a one step done. As we discussed options he went on to say if I had time he had some other SUVs that could probably use a wash/wax. So at this point I am thinking I will end up with several dirty, old SUVs that will be a headache to clean up.

When I get to his house,turns out he lives in one of the nicest areas around me. His back yard (body of water) overlooks Ono Island. After getting his 4Runner done, and even had time to do a Jeep Wrangler, and Toyota LandCruiser, he opens up his garage. Just a small 3 car garage but it is all done up with checkered flooring, and Porsche flags throughout.

After talking with him when his cars were finished, he goes on to tell me that this is a little vacation home for him. He races Porsches and has been doing so for 20+ years. At his real home he built a warehouse style garage that houses 25+ cars from GT3s to Ford GT to classic muscle and classic Porsche.

Moral of the story is do your best work, every car, every time. You NEVER know what other cars your client may own. I made the mistake of passing judgement just based off of the cars he wanted cleaned and never should have. I have just landed my best client yet though.

Just wanted to share.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Mike Phillips

Re: Not judging a book by it's cover

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryMobile View Post
    I am guilty of this and always try not to but when it comes to owning a business in which you clean things for people its hard not to judge cars (people) before you get to them.

I recently got a call from a gentleman who picked up my business card from a local coffee shop. He called and wanted to schedule an older, early 90's, 4Runner to have a one step done. As we discussed options he went on to say if I had time he had some other SUVs that could probably use a wash/wax. So at this point I am thinking I will end up with several dirty, old SUVs that will be a headache to clean up.

When I get to his house,turns out he lives in one of the nicest areas around me. His back yard (body of water) overlooks Ono Island. After getting his 4Runner done, and even had time to do a Jeep Wrangler, and Toyota LandCruiser, he opens up his garage. Just a small 3 car garage but it is all done up with checkered flooring, and Porsche flags throughout.

After talking with him when his cars were finished, he goes on to tell me that this is a little vacation home for him. He races Porsches and has been doing so for 20+ years. At his real home he built a warehouse style garage that houses 25+ cars from GT3s to Ford GT to classic muscle and classic Porsche.

Moral of the story is do your best work, every car, every time. You NEVER know what other cars your client may own. I made the mistake of passing judgement just based off of the cars he wanted cleaned and never should have. I have just landed my best client yet though.

Just wanted to share.

Great story and even better lesson shared with everyone...

Thanks for taking the time to post your recent experience...

Post Thanks / Like

Great story and even though i don't have a "legit" business per say, I always say this, the coolest car I've worked on is the one I'm currently doing for someone, everyone is important!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Stephan! When do Brett and I fly out to the real home? Great story and the point you made is excellent.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic story, congrats on landing that client, and a great life lesson for everyone. No matter what you are doing, try to be the best at it...

Glad you didn't let your initial impression affect your work!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you guys enjoyed it.

Ed, I am going to see what I can set up. 25-30 incredible cars could make for a fun week!
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryMobile View Post
    Glad you guys enjoyed it.

Ed, I am going to see what I can set up. 25-30 incredible cars could make for a fun week!
    I have plenty of sick leave and annual leave on the books. I am ready anytime.

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously a great point. I have caught myself guilty of the same experience.