autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Surface Correction: A Useful Term?

What better place to get an opinion on my terminology?

As my business has evolved I find myself in constant search for a better way to differentiate between the local car wash and detailing. There's even a need to break down the different levels of talent each detailer may have. In my area the latter isn't as much of a problem because we have a shortage of true detailers, plenty car washes though.

A second search of mine is a clear way to communicate pricing to the customer. Here are some common questions:
    • "What's the difference between a $100 detail and a $500 detail?"
    • "What's the difference between a wax job and swirl removal?"
    Lately I've found myself using a new (at least to me) term, Paint Surface Correction. At first I used the common phrase, Paint Correction, but I found half of the customers thought I was a paint shop or did some sort of painting to repair the problem. Paint Surface Correction seemed to help clarify that I worked with the given surface of their car and improvements were done from there. As for pricing, more clarity is gained when I describe the correction in terms of percentages. An example might be:
    • $100 detail = No Paint Surface Correction / just a wax
    • $200 detail = 50% PSC (Paint Surface Correction) / maybe a one step cleaner wax
    • $300 detail = 75% PSC / one pass with a compound - one pass with a swirl remover - final wax
    • $400 detail = 95% PSC (I hesitate to use 100%) / compound until virtually all swirls/scratches are removed - follow with 2nd step polish - final wax
    So what am I accomplishing here? First off, no car wash that I know of will advertise Paint Surface Correction if all they are doing is applying wax. At least not without being guilty of fraudulent advertisement. This will help me separate my business from the corner car wash. Secondly, I feel like there is justification in charging more for cars that may require several passes with a compound in order to get the best result. If the customer only wants to pay the lesser amount their expectations are buffered so they won't be looking for a show car finish, as in the case of a daily driver.

A side benefit is for all of the true detailers out there who may want to show their work but feel like they don't measure up. After all, not everyone gets to do a show quality Lambo at work, me included. Recently I detailed a white Toyota Tundra that hadn't seen much love since it's inception in 2001. It was a boat hauler to boot. Did the customer want to pay for full correction? NO. They opted for PSC of 50%. I chose Meguiar's D151 One Step Cleaner Wax and they were thrilled with the outcome! Sure it still had scratches in it but the improvement over the chalky white finish when they first brought it in was HUGE. So maybe I could post it in the PSC/50% section?

Anyone else see a benefit in using this term? There didn't seem to be anything close to this topic when I did a search. Plenty of conversation about paint correction but unless you're a detailer I think that term is a little misleading. And not much conversation about the degrees of correction, most of my customers so far are not looking to pay for 100% (or 95%) correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I like the term and the article. I like how you described a wash n' wax is not a detail. This was the point in a couple discussions lately but people still try to defend it as being a detail. Thank you.

Sent using Tapatalk
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Surface Correction: A Useful Term?

I agree. Most people would shy away from "paint correction" for the reasons you stated. But Paint Surface Correction, however, would make more since to most clients/customers.

Good idea.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Actually I like the term and the article. I like how you described a wash n' wax is not a detail. This was the point in a couple discussions lately but people still try to defend it as being a detail. Thank you.

I'm with rwright. I like the terminology and how you are then able describe exactly what you do and what sets you apart from the competition. I personally like the term "valeting" for the standard wash and wax. I see this a lot on the the DW forum and think it sound better than sponge jockey. A term that many people think of when thinking of the local "detail shops". Only problem is when you say you will valet a car most people assume you will be wearing a drivers cap and suit and be parking cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the terminology. I throw the word surface in there quite a bit myself when explaining what I will be doing. You would think it's a given to know something like that. But, I've been surprised by the phone calls I get from people. Detailing is in my business name, but it's amazing what people think detailing is. I get the body shop mix up quite a bit.

For some reason, a lot of people think detailing is pin striping, vinyl lettering, or things of that nature. Maybe they mix up decal, and detail? I don't know, ha. Nice write up!

Super Member Pockets@PoorboysWorld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good idea to separate you from the others, like others have said. Like the term
    Chris (a.k.a. Pockets)
    Warehouse Manager

Pockets@poorboysworld.com
    (845)215-9700

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks John,
    This was a Great article. You have simplified the terms and understanding of what a detail is or is not. I don't know if it's ever been done befroe. Mike covers alot of area. But this is the first one I have seen that makes it simple.
    Showroom Shine!
    Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    What better place to get an opinion on my terminology?

As my business has evolved I find myself in constant search for a better way to differentiate between the local car wash and detailing. There's even a need to break down the different levels of talent each detailer may have. In my area the latter isn't as much of a problem because we have a shortage of true detailers, plenty car washes though.

A second search of mine is a clear way to communicate pricing to the customer. Here are some common questions:
    • "What's the difference between a $100 detail and a $500 detail?"
    • "What's the difference between a wax job and swirl removal?"
    Lately I've found myself using a new (at least to me) term, Paint Surface Correction. At first I used the common phrase, Paint Correction, but I found half of the customers thought I was a paint shop or did some sort of painting to repair the problem. Paint Surface Correction seemed to help clarify that I worked with the given surface of their car and improvements were done from there. As for pricing, more clarity is gained when I describe the correction in terms of percentages. An example might be:
    • $100 detail = No Paint Surface Correction / just a wax
    • $200 detail = 50% PSC (Paint Surface Correction) / maybe a one step cleaner wax
    • $300 detail = 75% PSC / one pass with a compound - one pass with a swirl remover - final wax
    • $400 detail = 95% PSC (I hesitate to use 100%) / compound until virtually all swirls/scratches are removed - follow with 2nd step polish - final wax
    So what am I accomplishing here? First off, no car wash that I know of will advertise Paint Surface Correction if all they are doing is applying wax. At least not without being guilty of fraudulent advertisement. This will help me separate my business from the corner car wash. Secondly, I feel like there is justification in charging more for cars that may require several passes with a compound in order to get the best result. If the customer only wants to pay the lesser amount their expectations are buffered so they won't be looking for a show car finish, as in the case of a daily driver.

A side benefit is for all of the true detailers out there who may want to show their work but feel like they don't measure up. After all, not everyone gets to do a show quality Lambo at work, me included. Recently I detailed a white Toyota Tundra that hadn't seen much love since it's inception in 2001. It was a boat hauler to boot. Did the customer want to pay for full correction? NO. They opted for PSC of 50%. I chose Meguiar's D151 One Step Cleaner Wax and they were thrilled with the outcome! Sure it still had scratches in it but the improvement over the chalky white finish when they first brought it in was HUGE. So maybe I could post it in the PSC/50% section?

Anyone else see a benefit in using this term? There didn't seem to be anything close to this topic when I did a search. Plenty of conversation about paint correction but unless you're a detailer I think that term is a little misleading. And not much conversation about the degrees of correction, most of my customers so far are not looking to pay for 100% (or 95%) correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm glad to see some positive comments. Always good to know I'm not overthinking the process. Thank all of you for your thoughts.

I think I'll try a few different additions to my website and see if it helps clarify anything for customers that call. So far it seems to help when I'm explaining the process to people that ask, "What are you doing now?"

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write-up man ..... put some very useful info in there!
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com