autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Not getting Customers UPDATE and questions about growth

Alright guys a bit of an update from my other thread. "Not getting customers", here in this section.

About an hour after I posted the original thread (not getting customers), I got a call about a truck. I got that Chevy Silverado 2500 extended cab and did the whole thing for 500, full interior, paint decon, compound, polish, and klasse sealant.

That same day I finished the truck I got a Honda pilot dropped off to me with really dirty interior that I did for 250 interior only,

Tomorrow I am getting a truck doing it for 150 maybe 200 after I see it. vacuum, clean panels, dressing, wash tires and wheel wells.

Then on Tuesday I am getting a Jeep SUV for 450, full interior with a polish and klasse sealant, with a possible 150 for C4 trim coating.

I am also talking to another SUV for at least 200 on the interior .. that I havent seen yet.

So just like that it seems like its just kinda rolling in from nowhere, and I like it. But I think this is all just luck and I want to continue this trend and that will probably be by referrals.

Now my reason for this is ... how do I benefit from these people that I have done or am going to do?

does anyone use a referral process? like refer someone and your next detail is 10% off? If you do that .. how do you keep track of it? Do you use a program to organize it?

Is there something different that you would do for recommendations from existing customers?

or maybe advertise new customers get 10% off?

I am just wondering what people do to grow from the existing customer base.

Thanks again for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not getting Customers UPDATE and questions about growth

Sometimes getting busy brings with it the idea we can take liberties with pricing....Set your prices up and stand firmly behind them. No discounts for anyone. When favors surface the work suffers. I'm always clear to anybody working for me (home imp,auto work) I'll be glad to pay top dollar (within reason) for The "BEST"

Sorry for the tangent....You did a 500 dollar truck job in one day? Nice, how long and what did you do? I've got a truck coming up and like yourself, I want to give him the best price, but he's a really smart gear head and understands quality work. When I present him with a price....I'll propose a range of options/extras that allow for adjustments based on wether he wants to purchase or remove them from the estimate.

Best of luck
    Jonathan
    Drive Detailing
    New Jersey

Post Thanks / Like

For me (part timer cause I have a 9-5) when I do finally get one I usually get 3 or 4 more with it and work my butt off for 6 days, then I'll get squat for 2 weeks and it starts all over again when I get one more call lol
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, hate that. i feel like I have to be more of a prick to get more work....maybe unscrupulous is a better word...but I gave up budging on prices. We set the standard for this work, Detailers Domain starts at $600 for most cars. It took me a while to digest that until I realized, most men love their babies! I get that, the key is to be there when they need you and understand my work is worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted house View Post
    Sometimes getting busy brings with it the idea we can take liberties with pricing....Set your prices up and stand firmly behind them. No discounts for anyone. When favors surface the work suffers. I'm always clear to anybody working for me (home imp,auto work) I'll be glad to pay top dollar (within reason) for The "BEST"

Sorry for the tangent....You did a 500 dollar truck job in one day? Nice, how long and what did you do? I've got a truck coming up and like yourself, I want to give him the best price, but he's a really smart gear head and understands quality work. When I present him with a price....I'll propose a range of options/extras that allow for adjustments based on wether he wants to purchase or remove them from the estimate.

Best of luck
    Jonathan
    Drive Detailing
    New Jersey
    Stand firm with your prices. It will be worth it.

Some more side notes:

Referrals and repeat customers.

Here's what I have to say about that.

Do work sooo amazing that not only your clients thinks your Nuts, but other detailers think you nuts.... while maintaining profitable in a timely fashion.

This season has been crazy repeat customers for me so far. Proven knowledgeable got me the repeats. Again this has worked for me.

I did the discount thing ONCE.

NO DISCOUNTS (insert bigger font size here)

I stand firm with the VIF. This is for me only. I found out that people who are willing to walk the VIF form with me as the ones who are more serious about paying my prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Its just going to take time to build a customer base.I agree no discounts.I always stray from friends that are mechanics or family members refer you to someone, like I know a guy because if you go into a established business and say your a friend of Kathy or Joe I feel they will walk over you in pricing or delayed service.its better sometimes not to deal with referrals on some level.But sounds great your doing good.keep at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the work flowing in!

Right now is your time to shine (no pun intended) and prove that you are better than your competition in regards to work quality relative to pricing. Word of mouth will slowly start building you more business.

I agree to the above posts to some extent. You could ask follow up questions to see if they have friends that use detailers. If they do, then tell them that you would love to have their business as well (since you do way better work and you could save their friend some money) and tell them (your current client) that you will give them 5% (or your choice %) of a monthly washing maintenance package, if their friend comes and gives you a try.

This way you get :
    A. A Repeat customer.
    B. A New customer.

The tricky part with this is that you have to try to keep the relationship not becoming a buddy-buddy relationship. That will come and bite you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not getting Customers UPDATE and questions about growth

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    Alright guys a bit of an update from my other thread. "Not getting customers", here in this section.

So just like that it seems like its just kinda rolling in from nowhere, and I like it. But I think this is all just luck and I want to continue this trend and that will probably be by referrals.

Now my reason for this is ... how do I benefit from these people that I have done or am going to do?

does anyone use a referral process? like refer someone and your next detail is 10% off? If you do that .. how do you keep track of it? Do you use a program to organize it?

Is there something different that you would do for recommendations from existing customers?

or maybe advertise new customers get 10% off?

I am just wondering what people do to grow from the existing customer base.

Thanks again for the help

Ask the current customers calling and booking with you how did they hear about you and put some time into exploring that avenue. Whether it's from fb, google, referrals etc. also u can offer maintenance detailing to keep the customer in the loop with you. Whether it's every week or every 3 months. The service you did to the truck you did for 150 could be a maintenance detail. You didn't clean the seats or carpets and you didn't wax it. Even tho you can go as deep as maintaining as you and the customer decide on. After you detail their vehicles Offer them the service of maintaining it. Also ask them do they have social media. take photos before and after ask customers can you tag them in your posts if their vehicle. Their friends and family see it. More exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted house View Post

Sorry for the tangent....You did a 500 dollar truck job in one day? Nice, how long and what did you do? I've got a truck coming up and like yourself, I want to give him the best price, but he's a really smart gear head and understands quality work. When I present him with a price....I'll propose a range of options/extras that allow for adjustments based on whether he wants to purchase or remove them from the estimate.

Best of luck
    Jonathan
    Drive Detailing
    New Jersey
    all in all the truck took about 10 to 12 hours. I got it the night before. I did the wash and paint decontamination as the sun was going down so it wasnt so hot outside. Then the next day I compounded the entire truck with a microfiber pad and meguairs correction compound.. about 3 to 4 passes with that. Then I polsihed it with a foam pad and M205, then went over it with a sealant.

The interior I did the wipe down first to get everything loose and on the carpet.. wiped down the dash and then clean off the seats. Then I vacummed the whole thing.. carpets, seats, cup holders, door panels, etc. I then sprayed down the carpets with folex and used a drill brush to scrub the carpets and used a towel to clean it up.

Cleaned the leather seats with APC and then went over it with leather conditioner. Shined the panels and dash.. some areas inside I used trim shine .. like vents, cup holders, button area on the arm rest and the crevices areas. Dressed the rest with meguiars natural shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Its just going to take time to build a customer base.I agree no discounts.I always stray from friends that are mechanics or family members refer you to someone, like I know a guy because if you go into a established business and say your a friend of Kathy or Joe I feel they will walk over you in pricing or delayed service.its better sometimes not to deal with referrals on some level.But sounds great your doing good.keep at it.
    Ya I havent completely decided on the 10 percent referral discount. I have only told a few people and I think that might be it for that.

and thanks Its picking up. I got another truck to do here soon. Wants his wifes car done too. One is a 3500 truck and I said around the 250 mark for the interior only .. same for the car... thats before I see them .. could be more. Think I got another one after this post as well next week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast