autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Marketing and Business Materials.

!- I apologize in advance for my horrible grammar and spelling - !

Ok, so I have been browsing these forums and read several threads and I have noticed that you guys have the talent for detailing but some of you seem to be lacking in the marketing section. I think the reason behind this is your materials. Your business cards and things like that can make a big impression on someone.

Mike has posted some great threads on trying to name your business but he missed a few things. its very easy to just name it for example "Mike the Detailer" as mike explained in his thread. But how memorable is that? Will people see it and think about getting their car detailed.

In our world today image is everything. Modern/Clean design is in. You see it every where. Bold Colors, Large text. the days of Times new roman and text like that are over. So get rid of it.

I am a professional photographer and graphic designer and I am here to help you guys make a lasting impression simply by handing out your business card. Like detailers, Photographers and designers have to SELL their service. I am not trying to sell you anything (unless your interested ) You need to understand the value of good design. The colors you choose, the layout you choose. what separates you from the other guys. This may sound mean but I have been taking business away from people simply because they like my business cards better.

Some of you may ask. "Andrew, if its working so well. What is your business called?"

Good question. My business is called AB Detailing. Professional Automotive maintenance. You are probably saying "thats a bit long and your name isn't in it." You are right. The name of my business is null. It doesn't matter. i've created a brand, with a logo and a symbol and all the materials to go with it. Email, business cards, Invoices, tri-Folds, flyers, facebook page. anything i can think of. its there.

This is what mike didnt touch on in his very helpful threads. which if you havent read them you should.

Here are the LINKS:

Expose yourself for more business...

Brand Yourself, Brand your Forum Nickname and Brand your Business Name

As I was saying, you need decide will your business be remember by its name or some sort of logo or symbol. I will tell you a secret. Humans are visual. They love to see things. especially stuff that catches their eye. they are far more likely to remember a logo simply by glancing at it then they are your name or let alone the name of your detailing business. So this is why i created a symbol. Something to represent my business, no words. the words are just there to remind people of what it is. but once they know the will associate detailing with that symbol. And they will be able to recognize it easier.

Also text unless billboard size does no reproduce well for print. at least not if you are trying to get the point across from a distance. a simple symbol which may or may not include text.

Here is a simple example of my business card.

As you can see, this is very bold. but it can also be reversed if need be. like this

now Ii have a logo that i can use two ways and I can change up my business cards at any point.

I then kept that logo and transferred it to the other side of my business card. as well as on invoices and flyers.

as you can see, the name of my business isn't important. I dont put emphasis on it. I use the symbol or logo to represent my company. This logo is far more memorable then AB Detailing or whatever name you may choose.

Also the logo is very simple and clean. yet attractive and effective in a marketing sense. the colors are bold and powerful.

Now, i have designed my materials in vector formats. I can print my logo the size of a garage floor if i wanted to and it will look exactly as you see it on those business cards. ( i would never do that because. My god! ) This is something to remember if you have someone design you something. ask for a vector file. either a .eps or a .ai which would be an Adobe Illustrator file. This will allow you to use the logo anywhere you wish without having it become pixelated or blurry when blown up to say a t-shirt or even printed on an EZ-UP or a car.

Use this logo on an A frame sign instead of your name and phone number. not only are those thing hard to read but most people just brush them off.

In our world as i said. image is everything and someone with a brand new porsche is not likely to pull call you up about getting his car detailed when he see your A Frame sign on the side of the road with your name and phone number and auto detailing written on it. Take that same sign and put a nice looking logo on it. with your phone number and boom you now have something that looks more like a professional business rather then some guy detailing cars in a parking lot.

If you have any questions, please ask. Remember, this is your business. Give yourself a fighting chance against the competition.

2. Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marketing and Business Materials.

Any help is great! Thank you!