autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

how long and how much

I would like to begin in detailing cars and I woul like to advice me in my choice.
    An example how long do take to do this 5 steps and how much do you charge?

I talk about:

#1:wash
    #2:claying
    #3:swirls remover
    #4olishing
    #5:waxing

And how much do you charge for:

#1:vaccum the car
    #2:wash windows
    #3:dusting off all plastic and dashboard
    #4:wash and dry

I think to beginning in mobile detailing.I take my tricks and I go to the client because I don't place to do that.

Can you advice me please?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how long and how much

My best advice is to start out with friends/family members' vehicles. Detailing takes different people different amounts of time. Start out with the vehicles of people you know for essentially tips only and start timing yourself on how long it takes to do each. The big thing is that when you do different vehicles, you will find tips/tricks/trouble areas on each one. I thought it was amazing the first time I detailed someone else's vehicle besides my personal car. It was amazing how much more time it took because I wasn't familiar with it at all.

Generally then once you move on, charge by the hour, not by job. Give clients an estimate on how long it will take to do a job, and do your best do do it within the time given in the estimate. The charging by the hour vs the job helps a lot when you have someone who hasn't done crap to their car since they've bought it except purposefully hit as many mud puddles as they can find and want it to look good etc. People can be vicious and want to take advantage of good people, so it is in your best interest to avoid that.

Mike Phillips

Match your services to your client or market.

Over the years here's the normal trend I see on detailing discussion forums...
    • "Car Guy" or "Car Girl" joins car detailing forum reads, ask questions increases their knowledge.

• Purchases products, often times moves up to machine polishing because clear coats are too hard to work on by hand.

• Sees first hand, phenomenal results from their new found knowledge and skill sets

• Starts part-time detailing business

• Offers "Show Car Detailing" to a customer base that knowingly, or unknowingly wants and will only pay for "Production Detailing".

The above two terms for the purpose of this reply are generally described as...

Show Car Detailing = Multiple Step Process
    Production Detailing = One Step Process

The point is, for most people just starting out the majority of your customers are going to be people with daily drivers and this demographic group are primarily interested in having a shiny car, black tires, clear windows and a vacuumed interior. They won't appreciate a 100% swirl-free finish and generally won't want to pay for it and also won't know how to maintain a swirl free finish after you with all your hard work create these types of results.

This this article,

The difference between a swirl and squirrel

Your goals are noble and I and many on this forum understand your passion as it is explained here,

The Mindset of a Professional Detailer

That said, you need to market or "match" your services to your target market and by this I mean,

Quote Originally Posted by BenSRT View Post

#1: Wash
    #2: Claying
    #3: Swirls remover
    #4: Polishing
    #5: Waxing
    The above is a multiple step approach, it will take you more time than doing a one-step but in most cases you won't be able to charge your demographic market enough to make enough profit to make it worth your time AND enjoyable. Working for free is a fast way to take all the fun out of a hobby turning into a business.

Instead,

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. One-Step Cleaner/Wax
    That is a one step, it's actually 3 steps but washing and claying are accepted normal procedures in this day and age for detailing cars whether you're doing Show Car Detailing or Production Detailing.

If you want to do show car work, that is multiple step processes, then I would recommend to first..

Evaluate your customer

Don't do show car detailing for someone that is going to run the car through a car wash as a normal maintenance procedure. It won't be good for you and it won't be good for them... offer show car work to people that will appreciate your work, the results and are knowledgeable enough to understand that clear coat paints are "Scratch-Sensitive" and require proper care to stay swirl free.

Since the majority of people that will pay to have their car washed and waxed so they don't have to do it themselves will fall into people that own "Daily Drivers", then this larger target market will fall into the category of "Production Detailing" or doing one-steps to the paint.

The general goal of this type of work isn't to remove ALL the swirls, but to simply make the paint shiny again and claying restores smoothness which creates gloss and also enables your choice of wax or paint sealant to bond better to the paint thus last long and thus protect longer PLUS make the paint look clear and shiny again.

Throw in some dark black tires, clear windows, a clean interior that smells clean and that's your basic service package for the majority of car owners and that's what they want, knowingly or unknowingly.

Try to keep things simple, for example offer 4 plans...

1. Interior Detail
    2. Exterior Detail
    3. Interior and Exterior Package
    4. Simple Car Wash - Wash and dry car. Up-sell dressing tires, cleaning inside of windows.
    Go for the show car work if that's what you're interested in but target the Corvette owner, or any owner of what you think of as "Special Interest" cars. Keep in mind that what you think is "Special Interest" may not be the same as your customer, so be sensitive to other's preferences.

For example, not trying to pick on PT Cruiser owners but just as an example, some people would view these cars as just a normal car while the owner may view their PT Cruiser as a "Special Interest Car" and marketing a multi-step process to an owner that will appreciate and take care of your hard work can be a profitable win/win deal.

Also, look at the websites of some of our regular pro detailers, (that have websites listing their services), to get an idea of what they charge for their packages. Don't try to re-invent the wheel.

I just wrote an new article on how to put up a website for about $20.00 a year, here you go...

How to put up a website for about $20.00 a year

Be sure to read these articles before purchasing a domain name...

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I begin with cars of family and friends etc...that's what had tought.But my goal is to let me know and I build a reputation and gain experience.When you talk about plans to offer my clients it is with extras you make profits like:wash the car and 2$ you can dressing tires in extra?

When you talk about of 1 step cleaner/wax you refer at witch products?

Post Thanks / Like

Products like Meguiar's D151 or XMT 360 are 1 step products that both clean and seal.
    Shawn
    Houston Area Mobile Detailing
    www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FinalTouchAuto View Post
    Products like Meguiar's D151 or XMT 360 are 1 step products that both clean and seal.
    other products to advise me?

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I begin with cars of family and friends etc...that's what had tought.But my goal is to let me know and I build a reputation and gain experience.When you talk about plans to offer my clients it is with extras you make profits like:wash the car and 2$ you can dressing tires in extra?
    Do I understand your text Mike?

Mike Phillips

Do I understand your text Mike?
    I thought you wanted to know the names of some more cleaner/waxes?

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to begin in detailing cars and I woul like to advice me in my choice.
    An example how long do take to do this 5 steps and how much do you charge?

I talk about:

#1:wash
    #2:claying
    #3:swirls remover
    #4olishing
    #5:waxing

And how much do you charge for:

#1:vaccum the car
    #2:wash windows
    #3:dusting off all plastic and dashboard
    #4:wash and dry

I think to beginning in mobile detailing.I take my tricks and I go to the client because I don't place to do that.

Can you advice me please?

Yes, I will try to help you
    The amount you charge per job should be an hourly rate, and should be based on your expirence level and demographics. For a profesional detailing in L.A. or Miami they are able to charge $100 an hour or more. For an ameature in a rural area, they may be good to clear $10 an hour

As for the process you describe. Its a bit vague. For example, it usually averages me 2 hrs+ just for the wash/clay cycle and another hour+ for each level of correction. This does not take into account if you are thrown a filthy interior. Having said this, I am very fortunate that 90% of my business are monthly repeats. So on average I spend 3-4 hours per car

Hope this makes sense
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast