autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to quickbooks but not to detailing.

Good afternoon everyone.

I'm sure a big majority of the users here are watching the superbowl, but i wanted to ask a few questions. I'm recently started my mobile detail business and I will admit, keeping track of all my records and expenses have been a bit mundane and distracting. I know its important to save everything I've done which i have. My question is for anyone who currently uses quickbooks. i have purchased the plus edition (im sure its more than what i need, but my budget allows it just in case). my question is though, how do you fellow detailers currently utilize this program. I have my square linked to it as well. Havent opened a business account yet, but will be this week. Any info you guys can offer would be highly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to quickbooks but not to detailing.

I used QB for a month or so, long enough to get a few invoices and expenses put into it......I just wasn't impressed. It didn't really do what i needed. One example is you can't enter a manual tax rate per invoice (by location). It gives you one option to set a tax rate, not good for mobile guys. It can't track mileage easily, there is a way but it requires 4 or 5 inputs to add in, then ut doesn't keep a running total. Ended up cancelling sub and going back to excel sheets.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Enterprise Edition that we use for small manufacturing company (needed Enterprise Edition because have so many users).

Previously used the Premiere Edition which is similar to what you have (has multi-currency and larger file sizes).

The secret to QB is the items.

You setup your purchases as items and then enter bills from vendors by product items.

Your detailing packages are the same idea, setup package A (basic wash and wax package for example) and list all the things included.

You can even manage inventory of polishes and waxes using assemblies (but it is a little trickier to set up).

You can keep a lot of history and notes in the Customer Files and assign jobs to that Customer to further organize your database.

Of course it keeps track of income and expense and all accounting functions.

QB has a great forum for questions and there is help menus built into the program.

For what it's worth you can tranfer data to and from exel, but I have only done exporting.

I have used it for over 12 years and could write a book on how to use.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse Mike View Post
    I used QB for a month or so, long enough to get a few invoices and expenses put into it......I just wasn't impressed. It didn't really do what i needed. One example is you can't enter a manual tax rate per invoice (by location). It gives you one option to set a tax rate, not good for mobile guys. It can't track mileage easily, there is a way but it requires 4 or 5 inputs to add in, then ut doesn't keep a running total. Ended up cancelling sub and going back to excel sheets.

Mike
    Just as a point for people reading in the future, there is a trick for adding addition local tax manually. You can add an additional percentage line item at the end of the invoice for the local tax. I believe it can also be assigned to the field or internal QB account so QB tracks it. It's not as easy as identifying a location on the invoice and QB automatically populates, but it's an option.

Your other point is very valid. Would need to keep a separate mileage log, which is good practice anyway to track where the mileage was used (for a job, an inspection/quote, pick up supplies, client pick up/drop off.)
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As for Mileage I would use Mile IQ on the phone. It allows you to log Milage on you Vehicle via GPS. Swipe left for bussiness and Swipe right for personal. All mileage is logged.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk