autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What would you do

Well I have not had a customer in 2 weeks. Not even a call. I have seen a flood of $20 "detailers" in my area, I've counted up to 6 now.
    Some customers I've even seen use them and comment how great the car looks and gold of a job the person did inside AND out for $20. Thing is I haven had any new customers and the ones I did have whos paint I corrected are going there now.

Of course a basic wash will look great after your paint has been corrected they are doing the easy part. So now I'm not sure if I should drop my rates from making $60 a hr down to the idk, say $30 to try and stay in the game or just keep waiting for the one higher end car( not many in my area). What would you guys do? I've not been this long without a car in over a year and it's starting to worry me

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What would you do

How fast will they trash those corrected vehicles?

Wash & shine is a lot different than a real "detail". It may take time for your old customers to figure it out, but most will.

Post Thanks / Like

you should carry a led light and flash it on the paint and then show them they get what they pay for and also mention that they are damaging the paint every time they touch it which will require more paint to be removed sooner than later...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure they will be it's a struggle in the meantime. Or they are skilled and are just under valuing themselves.. idk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    I'm sure they will be it's a struggle in the meantime. Or they are skilled and are just under valuing themselves.. idk

Undervaluing...?

wash wax and inside ??

Even a 20.00 wash dry and inside is what the scratch and shine gets, so they will trash the cars just as fast......

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a full time gig for you? What city/state? Just curious.

I do this part time as a fun hobby side deal and all of my customers come from referrals. Car clubs, groups, networking, etc. Don't be afraid to ask for referrals and offer a finders fee. I give$25 and $50 visa cards depending on what level of detail my referral brings me.

Network, network, network. In the evenings I'm all over message boards and groups, especially local ones. I get brought in by 1 or 2 members to provide me as a reference. So for example the local FJ club....my customer with the one I just did got me in there. I picked up a referral from him and now those two members were kind enough after me asking to support my lead-in. Most of the groups have minor sponsorship fees per year. The local F-body, mustang and others for me are stand-by's as I get lots of leads.

Don't be bashful on your pricing. I tend to be a bit lower than most of the places that are larger and have local shops/locations but then it's just me out of my home. Keep a good portfolio online or that you can provide a link to. I also get written follow up from my customers as reference letters to.

Hope some of these ideas pan out.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Can you try to seek more business in other ways? Go door-to-door in subdivisions, lawyer's offices, banks - whatever is in your area. Drop off business cards. If you're mobile, set up shop in a parking lot with high visibility and take a long time with a detail (even if it's just a friend or family member's car).

As far as going down on your prices, I think that's something you have to evaluate yourself - how strong your need is, whether it will end up being profitable.

Just some ideas. Good luck to you!
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007
    Green 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 & Silver 2007 Honda ST1300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post

This is why I tell new comers all the time about washing cars.Those people don't care about loyalty and it's the ole mighty dollar over quality.I say start marketing like crazy or start in the next town closest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    Undervaluing...?

wash wax and inside ??

Even a 20.00 wash dry and inside is what the scratch and shine gets, so they will trash the cars just as fast......
    Yes as in maybe MAYBE the detailer is highly skilled and is doing everything right and worth more but doesn't know the business side of things so is undervaluing himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaGP View Post
    Can you try to seek more business in other ways? Go door-to-door in subdivisions, lawyer's offices, banks - whatever is in your area. Drop off business cards. If you're mobile, set up shop in a parking lot with high visibility and take a long time with a detail (even if it's just a friend or family member's car).

As far as going down on your prices, I think that's something you have to evaluate yourself - how strong your need is, whether it will end up being profitable.

Just some ideas. Good luck to you!
    There is one lawyer and no doctors in the area. The nearest town is 45 mins away. The best thing going is rite aid and McDonald's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.