autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting a Youtube series of videos... ?

Hi guys! I'm looking to create a series of videos on YouTube for my business. Some will be of the 'how to' category.

My concern is any liability with the how to videos. I'm asking should I be concerned? Put out a disclaimer on my YouTube page? Etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting a Youtube series of videos... ?

Disclaimer should be fine. "This video is a representation of my results. Carefully read and heed all instructions and warnings that come with the product....etc...."
    I'm not a lawyer, but I produce a lot of these and I do have Errors & Omissions insurance and legal council.
    As far as your videos, I know you already realize--be regular and be consistent. If you produce 3 in a day, release one a week or whatever matches your schedule (not all at once).
    Tease what's coming up and keep them looking for the next one.

Post Thanks / Like

If you think a disclaimer is a good idea, I would put the disclaimer in the videos description not in the video itself, thats just kind of tacky and reminds me of a 3am infomertial for the latest fat burning supplement. The only detailing Youtuber I watch is Larry from Ammo. I just checked one of his videos and he attaches this text pastes this text in the description:

Disclaimer:
    Due to factors beyond the control of AMMO NYC, Larry Kosilla, and Make Rain Productions, we cannot guarantee against improper use or unauthorized modifications of this information. AMMO NYC, Larry Kosilla, and Make Rain Productions assumes no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this video. Use this information at your own risk. AMMO NYC, Larry Kosilla, and Make Rain Productions recommends safe practices when working on vehicles and or with tools seen or implied in this video. Due to factors beyond the control of AMMO NYC, Larry Kosilla, and Make Rain Productions, no information contained in this video shall create any expressed or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. Any injury, damage, or loss that may result from improper use of these tools, equipment, or from the information contained in this video is the sole responsibility of the user and not AMMO NYC, Larry Kosilla, nor Make Rain Productions. Video and Content are owned by Make Rain Productions © 2016
    However, I was curious to see who else adds disclaimers. I checked /drive's "clean" series, featuring Ammo, and they did not have a disclaimer. I also checked a Chemical Guys's video and they did not have one either (but really should, their host is such a tool.) And last I checked eHow, they are probably the largest "how-to" Youtube channel and they did not have a disclaimer either. I would check Youtube's T's & C's, they may have a section stating that because Youtube video's are created by "amateurs" and not professional's that the viewer watches at their own discretion.

Of course whether those check box T&C agreements are enforcable/binding in court is another story. But that same story would also apply to your disclaimer. In short, if by having a disclaimer allows you to sleep better at night, by all means yes, have one. But if said disclaimer requires you to hire an attorney to write and knowing that they are almost never enforeable, no, I wouldn't waste my time with one.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Youtube is free, create a brand account in your business's name. You can get to my youtube account via Wayne Mobile Car Detailing - Mobile Car Wash at your place! - contact me if you need some help getting it setup waynemobiledetail@gmail.com

If you have a website, creating the youtube account gives you more resprectability in google's eyes and will raise your website higher in the search rankings

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is another example

detailing in Edison Nj

Edison Mobile Car Auto Detailing - Truck, Fleet, Car Wash Near Me

Post Thanks / Like

I have 20 videos planed for this summer. I will be making videos to describe everyone of my services for my website. I don't plan on using disclaimers since this will be advertisement type content. If I was to make how to videos, I would most likely put a disclaimer, people can be really stupid and many people will try to find a scapegoat for their idiocy. This is especially true is you plan on making videos about things that are potentially dangerous to the car like wet sanding, polishing or engine cleaning.

Good luck and make sure to post your Youtube channel here when you make those videos.

Post Thanks / Like

My YouTube channel is up and running.

https://youtu.be/iRENybKBsRo

Mirror Reflections Auto Spa LLC