autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Garage Detailing Advice

Hey everyone.. I had a few questions hopefully you all can help me with.

Last year I dived into Mobile detailing and love detailing for both my personal car and as a side business. I did strictly mobile detailing since I lived in an apartment at the time and had no where to work from home. This year I just bought a house and now have a garage that I can detail in. With that being said, I'm a bit lost on a few aspects.

Interior details: How do you guys dry interiors? When doing mobile jobs I simply left with the car still wet or damp and told them to roll down the windows and let it sit in the sun for a bit and that'll do the trick. Now they have to leave the car with me/pick it up so I can't really have them drive home in a wet car. Whats a quick way to dry out their interior? Typically how long does this take? Do you guys usually put any paper mats to cover their just washed carpets? I've googled them but don't know what they are called and couldn't find any. If you guys could give me some tricks / best practices that'll be great.

Exterior details: I usually spend anywhere from a few hours to the entire day doing a car at someones house. Theres always a hiccup so my time estimate is usually off by an hour or a lot more. When detailing from home, do you just give people a rough estimate and call them once it is ready? If its a job that'll take me most of the day, is it common for people to drop off their cars and pick up the next day? Personally I think that'll be the best scenario so I don't have to rush through the job to meet the time I said I'd be done.

Lastly, Does anyone get more garage details than mobile? I'd like to head in that direction as mobile can get a bit tiring constantly packing and unpacking. However, I'd assume most of the business is on the mobile side.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Detailing Advice

I open the doors and use blower fans to help dry up cloth seats and carpet after using my extractor. It helps if you can park the car in sunlight too. I mostly do mobile details but some customers will leave their car with me if it's a job like a multi-step correction or coating service.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck no to mobile detailing. My customers bring their cars too me or I don't detail them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
    Heck no to mobile detailing. My customers bring their cars too me or I don't detail them
    This is how I need to approach this.

Post Thanks / Like

For the interior that was super dirty,crank up the heat for 30 minutes and throw the mats under the car as the heat from the engine will dry them fairly quick.Use a exhaust hose if you can't pull car out if it's raining.Kinda hard to get customers to leave there car for a day or more at a garage.This is a promblem for me to build a brick and mortar location people need there car and can't be without it for a day to many promblematic excuses so I stay mobile.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually modified one of the heads from my shop vac which makes it almost as effective as a high quality extractor. I also make it a point to keep the windows (and doors as long as it isn't a tight space) open while I am working. Mist interior jobs are accompanied by the exterior so I knock out the interior first so it can air out as I work on the exterior. Another key here is not to completely saturate everything to the point that it will take forever to dry or is dripping from the bottom of the seats or even worse coming out the drain holes in the underside of the car.
    As for dropping the car off at your home, I have 1 customer who insists on this. While it may seem convenient, it's actually not a great scenario. If you are working on the car at your place and something happens (tree falls on it, dog scratches it, child smashes into it with a wagon) you're on the hook even if it isn't something that YOU did. The last thing you want to do is have to file an insurance claim or even worse, pay out of pocket. Add to this the nosey neighbor factor. Either they are fine with you doing the occasional job in the driveway....or they're not and you end up with compliance officers at your house asking why you don't have a waste water collection system, license to operate at your home, various zoning permits.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garyg7133 View Post
    I actually modified one of the heads from my shop vac which makes it almost as effective as a high quality extractor.
    Would you be kind enough to share this tip? Any pics?
    I'm really into vacuuming and what you said sounds intriguing.

Post Thanks / Like

Currently I am mobile, however next year I am going to buy a house. When I do, I plan on buying a used SUV to be used as a loner. So clients can drop off there cars and leave in my SUV. If they return it like they picked it up great, if it is dirty I will charge them a cleaning fee. I will get garage keepers insurance.

The problem with working out of the house is you need to get along with your neighbors. Running a business from the house can be tricky.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure. Will post a pic when I am back home. It wasn't hard at all. It's basically just reducing the intake area of the head so that you are increasing the suction.

Post Thanks / Like

HAving the loaner is going to be tricky insurance wise I would think. Keep us posted how that goes...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast