autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Advertising/Marketing Ideas

Whats up guys. Been detailing for a while and i'm going all in. Got a van and have all my new stuff on the way. Been thinking of ways to really get it going off from the start. Here are some things i intend on doing/have done and im looking for some input if any of you have tried these things and if it was successful and maybe some other ideas. I know that referrals are a huge part of business and thats basically what ive been doing so far along with just craigslist ads, but i quit my job and want to be working atleast full time and leave nothing to chance, and also have the flexibility to turn jobs down without it effecting me.

-Website obviously and work on getting it near the top of a google search(I believe this takes some time, would like some input on this)
    also im about to launch my website and will post a link for input
    -Craigslist ads
    -Email people on craigslist selling nicer cars that could use detail before selling, along with Rv's and boats for sale
    -Facebook Page
    -Instagram account and just start following a ton of people in my area
    -Put flyers on nice cars at a local galleria/mall(very curious if anyone has tried this and if it worked, not sure if people will be offput by having a flyer on there car)
    -Attending car shows and just talking to people/handing out business cards.
    -Networking with local window tinters/body guys/shops and try to get a promote each other kind of thing going on.

Would love to hear what you guys think and what youve experienced. I live in sacramento, and im surrounded by some very nice areas with a lot of money and my goal is to kind of brand myself as a higher end detailer(fancy logo n very professional ect.).

Thanks
    Derek

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advertising/Marketing Ideas

Do whatever it takes and if you fail,then you will pass that idea along to others.Ive been doing this along time and I can tell you that the flyer thing is a waste of time.Stay away from Craigslist it's a crowded space with other detailers that will undercut your pricing.Car shows are a hit or miss,but a least you can hand out some business cards and maybe strike up a conversation and do some networking.Leaving your small business card at different locations are a dime a dozen.So here is how to get work out of the gate and build fast and not to rack up debt on advertising.Start washing cars at a minimum of 45.00 and give them more than a carwash maybe some spraywax etc.Do that as well as up selling some of your customers but don't be agressive.Then every potential client that approaches you and ask for a card,just jump into detailing don't even mention you offer carwashing.Being mobile is such great exposure and you will be handing out 10 cards a day.It takes time to build and most importantly loyal clients.Starting this full time i wouldn't decline any job unless it's a junker with dog hair.Spend your money on nice menu cards and on the pricing just put by estimate only.My cards explain everything about my packages and such the last thing you want to do is spend 20 minutes talking about something that may never happen,so my cards fulfill the questions and I give it to them and there gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Then as you build wean off the carwash deadbeats who will never spend anything more than a carwash.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool good advice thanks!! I kinda had a feeling the flyer thing wouldnt work so i probably wont even mess with that. And with the menu cards, thats a great idea i will definitely do that! thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys have any examples of menu cards or templates to look at? Thanks.

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dno916 View Post
    Whats up guys. Been detailing for a while and i'm going all in. Got a van and have all my new stuff on the way. Been thinking of ways to really get it going off from the start. Here are some things i intend on doing/have done and im looking for some input if any of you have tried these things and if it was successful and maybe some other ideas. I know that referrals are a huge part of business and thats basically what ive been doing so far along with just craigslist ads, but i quit my job and want to be working atleast full time and leave nothing to chance, and also have the flexibility to turn jobs down without it effecting me.

-Website obviously and work on getting it near the top of a google search(I believe this takes some time, would like some input on this)
    also im about to launch my website and will post a link for input
    -Craigslist ads
    -Email people on craigslist selling nicer cars that could use detail before selling, along with Rv's and boats for sale
    -Facebook Page
    -Instagram account and just start following a ton of people in my area
    -Put flyers on nice cars at a local galleria/mall(very curious if anyone has tried this and if it worked, not sure if people will be offput by having a flyer on there car)
    -Attending car shows and just talking to people/handing out business cards.
    -Networking with local window tinters/body guys/shops and try to get a promote each other kind of thing going on.

Would love to hear what you guys think and what youve experienced. I live in sacramento, and im surrounded by some very nice areas with a lot of money and my goal is to kind of brand myself as a higher end detailer(fancy logo n very professional ect.).

Thanks
    Derek
    Hey Derek,

Man i feel like i could write a book in response to this. I was mobile to start out and moved into a shop a year ago (which has been our best business move to date). That being said, mobile is a great way to start your business and build a strong reputation and client base....heres a few things to consider when moving forward that have worked great for me since moving into our shop.

1. Marketing is obviously SUPER important (which i see you realize - thus this post!) The facebook and instagram pages are a great start. Takes time to build followers but stay active in posting and it will grow - the thing is you DO have to stay active in posting...if you get discouraged because you dont have 1000 followers after a month...you'll stop posting and you'll never grow.

2. Website - while a nice looking website is important, a well CODED site is even more important. I spent $1000's of dollars with people/companies promising to boost my SEO (google rankings) blah blah blah. Yeah, never happened. I was finally fortunate enough to meet a local guy who was fairly priced and knew his stuff. Google "Auto detailing gilbert" and you'll find me on the first page a couple of times now. It's a constant fight to stay up there, but it WILL pay for itself (if you need his info i can pass it along to you if you PM me).

3. For me, Yelp has actually been excellent. Great a free business page and get your customers to leave reviews (again, you have to be ACTIVE in doing this.) How many times have you on your own initiative left a review for places? On the other hand, how many times have you left a review when ASKED to do so. People are much more likely to leave reviews if you ASK them to. When you send them an invoice, have a link at the bottom that goes to your Yelp, facebook and google+ pages. 1 click and they're there.

4. KEEP TRACK OF CUSTOMERS! Sorry for the caps but this is SO important. Have a client list. ANY call/email you get you need to fill out a contact sheet getting their name/#/email. ASK how they heard about you so you know what methods are working for you. SAVE these files (keep them organized) and if you don't hear back from a lead, follow up with them. I can promise you most of your competition is not doing this. Do not just be a high end detailer, be a high end business. Its not just about the detail, its more so about the customer service and the connection you make with people.

5. Be sure you have a set price list. I made the mistake my first few years of "winging" it on polishing jobs especially. Sit down, write out all of your services, write down their prices and then see if you need to simplify your services or if you need to fill any service gaps. Once we moved into our shop i had to diversify. Before i was aiming (like you) for high end correction work. That's all well and good...but i do not want to pass up a $150 wash and wax just because im only pushing $500-1500 correction jobs. I still try to get correction jobs - but if the balk at the price you have to have a back up plan. I have a good/better/best price lay out for basically all my services. You don't want a $1000 correction? Ok, how about a $500 1-step? Don't want a 1-step? Ok, how about a $250 all in one polish etc. $100-200 beats $0 all day long.

I'll stop there because i could keep going lol, but these are really essential. If you're full time now its no longer a side gig...it's real and you have to treat it as such. Not just in how good of a detailer you are, but how personable you are. How you talk with customers. How you answer the phone and how quickly you reply to emails. How you handle objections to your prices and complaints about your work (it WILL happen trust me lol). Ive got all 5 star reviews anywhere you look....trust me, some of those 5 star reviews are from customers who had objects or even complaints/issues with the work that was done. How do you handle it...do you get pissed off or do you try to fix it (even if it wasn't your fault) or come up with SOME sort of solution?

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck on the full time gig!
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

7. Likes RiverCityAutoSpa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

" 4. KEEP TRACK OF CUSTOMERS! Sorry for the caps but this is SO important. Have a client list. ANY call/email you get you need to fill out a contact sheet getting their name/#/email. ASK how they heard about you so you know what methods are working for you. SAVE these files (keep them organized) and if you don't hear back from a lead, follow up with them. I can promise you most of your competition is not doing this. Do not just be a high end detailer, be a high end business. Its not just about the detail, its more so about the customer service and the connection you make with people."

Words to live by !

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

An easy and free way is Google's My Business feature. Registering for this is what gets you listed at the top of the search results in that box where other businesses are already listed. It also puts your location on the map when someone googles "*your city* auto detailing"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for all the info. So much great advice. Ill definitely shoot you a PM about the web guy. I just built my site with wix. So it wasnt coded from scratch, but maybe once i get rollin ill have that done.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCs View Post
    An easy and free way is Google's My Business feature. Registering for this is what gets you listed at the top of the search results in that box where other businesses are already listed. It also puts your location on the map when someone googles "*your city* auto detailing"
    Awesome i will definitely look into this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast