autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Exterior Detail Timing Analysis

It's All about repetition.I can go on vacation for 3 weeks and come back to work rusty as heck.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a full detail including leather cleaning and conditioning on a Town & Country last week in 4 hours. This included 2 bucket, dried, iron X, clayed, AIO, Collinite 845. Windows decontaminated and sealed. Wheels sealed and tires dressed. Entire interior wiped down with Megs APC and then coated with CG Silk Shine. And like I mentioned above, leather cleaned and conditioned. Quality is still the same but I have become much more efficient. It was a $250 job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    I did a full detail including leather cleaning and conditioning on a Town & Country last week in 4 hours. This included 2 bucket, dried, iron X, clayed, AIO, Collinite 845. Windows decontaminated and sealed. Wheels sealed and tires dressed. Entire interior wiped down with Megs APC and then coated with CG Silk Shine. And like I mentioned above, leather cleaned and conditioned. Quality is still the same but I have become much more efficient. It was a $250 job.
    That's moving at a pretty good pace and realistic assuming you don't run into problems.

I read this thread and keep thinking many are trying to over deliver. Everyone here gets caught up in full paint correction hen in reality only a small percentage of enthusiasts will want this. Hell if you do it for most customers they will ruin it in the first rain storm by running the car through an auto wash with rotating brushes.

I always try to deliver something extra but not a full paint correction when a simple wash and AIO wax is requested. I commend you all in the thread. Earning $40-$60 per hour doing non speciality detailing is about as good as it gets. I may have to try the Nanoskin method for decontamination. I've always used clay. It's quick and I include Windows as it makes cleaning them easier in the end. I usually don't break out the pressure washer unless it's really needed. Two bucket method or waterless wash works fine. An AIO isn't going to remove all scratches and swirls will be pretty much eliminated.

4 hours from start to finish with setup and packup on a full AIO and interior is moving right along but you really can't spend too much more time than that. In the end make the customer happy and get repeat business.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    Nice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    That's moving at a pretty good pace and realistic assuming you don't run into problems.

I read this thread and keep thinking many are trying to over deliver. Everyone here gets caught up in full paint correction hen in reality only a small percentage of enthusiasts will want this. Hell if you do it for most customers they will ruin it in the first rain storm by running the car through an auto wash with rotating brushes.

I always try to deliver something extra but not a full paint correction when a simple wash and AIO wax is requested. I commend you all in the thread. Earning $40-$60 per hour doing non speciality detailing is about as good as it gets. I may have to try the Nanoskin method for decontamination. I've always used clay. It's quick and I include Windows as it makes cleaning them easier in the end. I usually don't break out the pressure washer unless it's really needed. Two bucket method or waterless wash works fine. An AIO isn't going to remove all scratches and swirls will be pretty much eliminated.

4 hours from start to finish with setup and packup on a full AIO and interior is moving right along but you really can't spend too much more time than that. In the end make the customer happy and get repeat business.
    I am not on a time limit and quality and making the customer happy is my priority. I just do this part time on the side and have 2 little ones ages 3 and 1. My ultimate priority is my family and spending time with them. So 2 vehicles a week is all I do.

I will never compromise quality for time. I have just learned to work continuously and I have a good routine.

I did not hand clay just to clarify. I used the Nanoskin auto scrub on my Flex 3401.

The 3 things that have made me much much more efficient this year is the Flex, the Nanoskin, and Iron X. All 3 are amazing and have made the jobs much easier.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So it seems that iron decontamination makes a significant difference when it comes to saving time during the claying process?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfast detailing View Post
    So it seems that iron decontamination makes a significant difference when it comes to saving time during the claying process?
    Huge difference bud. Before I used Iron X there were vehicles that I spent 3 plus hours just claying to remove the orange iron spots. In Wisconsin here the vehicles are peppered with them. It has been a life saver for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the inspiration. I did a Porsche Panamera today and the result was a big improvement.
    • Wheels - 30 minutes - I have no idea how I got them done so much faster today.
    • Wash & decontaminate - 1 hour - I got some Nanoskin and used the recommended technique of combining the wash and decontamination. Wow, what a savings.
    • Polish - 1.5 hours - The Panamera is a much simpler car than the Mercedes I used for the example. I credit that for the 30 minute time savings.
    • Dressing, windows, and other stuff - 40 minutes.

3:40 is a big reduction over 5 hours. I can see saving another 30 minutes by getting better organized.

Thanks again,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waelwell View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration. I did a Porsche Panamera today and the result was a big improvement.
    • Wheels - 30 minutes - I have no idea how I got them done so much faster today.
    • Wash & decontaminate - 1 hour - I got some Nanoskin and used the recommended technique of combining the wash and decontamination. Wow, what a savings.
    • Polish - 1.5 hours - The Panamera is a much simpler car than the Mercedes I used for the example. I credit that for the 30 minute time savings.
    • Dressing, windows, and other stuff - 40 minutes.

3:40 is a big reduction over 5 hours. I can see saving another 30 minutes by getting better organized.

Thanks again,

Bill
    Did you use an AIO?
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Jomax - I shouldn't have said "polish". I should have said "wax". The car is fairly new and well maintained so it didn't need any abrasive. I just put a coat of wax on it.

Bill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast