autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My FIRST bad interaction with customer

For all of you who say you will not wash a car without decontaminating it... what happens if you marr the paint? Personallly I am very weary of doing a clay job without a polishing job afterwards. Especially on black cars. Doing a wash and wax job plus claying for 80$? No thank you. It takes me 1.5 hour just to wash the car, add 30 mins to seal it using Reload. If I was to clay it on top of it, it would takes about 30 mins more if I do it quickly. So that doesn't fit in a 80$ job for me. And as I said, what happens if you marr the paint? You are looking at a few more hours to polish it out. Maybe you guys like to work for free but I certainly don't.

I think the important is communication. When you talk to the client and he asks for extra stuff, quote him for the time it will take. For those scuff marks, give him a quote for it. If he doesn't want you to do it, and you want to try taking them out quickly. Then do so. But if you tell him I will try, in his mind that is a yes and if you don't do it he will be disappointed. And I totally agree with you that you should not be doing freebies for things people want you to do to their car. On the other hand if you see something while doing the detail and it takes no time to fix, by all mean do it and tell them... those are the things people will appreciate.

Post Thanks / Like

It's important to remember that every market is different, especially in smaller communities. Pricing and bundled services have to meet the market demand to a certain extent. If there's little demand for paint decon in his area, making it a mandatory part of every package beyond a wash may not be good for business, even if it's part of the proper way to do the job. Waxing without decon is better than no wax - and fewer customers. Of course, if the paint is so contaminated that even hand waxing it could result in adding damage, that needs to be discussed with the customer.

FreshRides, maybe you can become the detailing evangelist for your area. Many people don't see the benefit of a three step process compared to using an AIO product; they just want a shiny car that beads water in the rain. They don't care about the benefits of decontamination because they don't know anything about it. If I were in this business, I'd find a big, flat hood at a salvage yard. Something with darker paint that's intact, but obviously in need of some help. Tape it off into three or four large sections. Leave one section as is, and run through your offered paint processes on the other sections - AIO wax only, decon + AIO wax, decon + 3step, coatings, etc. Walk customers through the processes so that they know the benefits and gain some understanding of what you can do for them. Tell them about the LSP lasting longer when applied to decontaminated paint, and let them do the baggie test on the different sections. That display will make it easy to show the differences, and it'll justify the higher prices for the more labor intensive processes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    I refuse to do a detail job without claying the vehicle. A complete and full detail requires that. I don't offer wash and wax packages.

I keep it simple
    Cars:$150
    Small.and regular sized suv:$200
    Trucks and large Suv:$250.

All my details include:
    Pressure wash, foamed, 2 bucket wash, microfiber towel dried, full clay, paint sealed, then topped with wax. Windows clayed and sealed. Tires dressed, wheels sealed, door jambs clayed and sealed, interior vacuumed and wiped down with an APC, then dash door panels, and steerimg wheel dressed and conditioned.

Engine bay detailing is an extra $50.
    leather cleaning and conditioning extra $50.

Paint correction price would be determined upon size of vehicle and paint condition.

To me a wash and wax is a half ass job. Not to insult anyone. Just my opinion. That is why I refuse to offer that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Don't think the clay/seal is overkill for the door jams for a detail like that? I'd think of doing that only for a car getting a full correction?? I usually just do a spray wax while I wipe down the door jams.

Just an honest opinion. It would save you 30min easy. For sadly something, no one would see the difference, unless they're an OCD nut like all of us here lol.
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scuff View Post
    It's important to remember that every market is different, especially in smaller communities. Pricing and bundled services have to meet the market demand to a certain extent. If there's little demand for paint decon in his area, making it a mandatory part of every package beyond a wash may not be good for business, even if it's part of the proper way to do the job. Waxing without decon is better than no wax - and fewer customers. Of course, if the paint is so contaminated that even hand waxing it could result in adding damage, that needs to be discussed with the customer.

FreshRides, maybe you can become the detailing evangelist for your area. Many people don't see the benefit of a three step process compared to using an AIO product; they just want a shiny car that beads water in the rain. They don't care about the benefits of decontamination because they don't know anything about it. If I were in this business, I'd find a big, flat hood at a salvage yard. Something with darker paint that's intact, but obviously in need of some help. Tape it off into three or four large sections. Leave one section as is, and run through your offered paint processes on the other sections - AIO wax only, decon + AIO wax, decon + 3step, coatings, etc. Walk customers through the processes so that they know the benefits and gain some understanding of what you can do for them. That display will make it easy to show the differences, and it'll justify the higher prices for the more labor intensive processes.
    EXCELLENT idea!!!!
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    Don't think the clay/seal is overkill for the door jams for a detail like that? I'd think of doing that only for a car getting a full correction?? I usually just do a spray wax while I wipe down the door jams.

Just an honest opinion. It would save you 30min easy. For sadly something, no one would see the difference, unless they're an OCD nut like all of us here lol.
    In Wisconsin here the cars get the iron deposits (orange spots) all over them especially in the door jams. I can't let a car leave my shop like that. Hand claying takes me 15 to 20 minutes to do so and then sealant applied with a MF applicator.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

IMO to run the vac through the interior takes only a couple minutes, and makes for a nice gesture. You should consider adding that to your normal process. I'd also allow customers to make 1 special request, such as removing some small scuffs like that. I wouldn't do much more than hitting it with some polish on a microfiber prior to the waxing, but it'd be enough to keep this guy happy. I'm not saying that you're wrong all, but sometimes you have to romance some customers more than others to make them feel special.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you were planning on doing it for 50.00 I think I would have removed the scuffs and charged him the 80.00. I assume we're talking hitting it with the polisher and being done in 2 or 3 minutes. Then when he picked up the car tell him the wash and wax was less so you were able to get the scuffs out and stay at the agreed price. That way he's happy, but he also knows you didn't do any work for free.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago...someone told me...a happy customer tells 2 people...an unhappy one tells 200. If he brought three cars to you, find a way to make him happy, within reason. As another poster said...if the scuffs were from shoes...they come off easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like women, you let them take advantage of you, they will lose respect for you and never stop. Stand your ground.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I've been in the service business for well over 30 years so have run into many, many people like you describe. Most just want a little extra here and there to feel special, while others will push the envelope to see how many no cost extras they can get out of someone, especially a small business owner.

My suggestion is throw in a couple extras and factor it in the next estimate. If he is the type who pushes the envelope and makes what you do for a living unpleasant, just politely suggest he try someone else. After all you are the boss.

Believe me you have not dealt with over the top give it to me for free type until you work with the owners of Bars.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast