autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on really what is a "detail"

Okay the title may sound stupid but my question came as more of like a shower thought. I am not a business with a business license or insurance or anything like that but just on the side as a hobby that gets paid. I have alot of family and friends and some I dont know asking me to do their car. I will charge a fair price being that im not in business.

So people asked to get their car detailed and then im expected to do the work. My issue is that I really dont know what a detail is to them. To me it would be at least up until paint correction which I try to think about but people really dont ask about as they dont understand that you cant really get a perfect finish without paint correction.

How do you all have a plan of attack set up so the customer is educated and gets what they want instead of just dropping the car off at you and saying work on it?
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on really what is a "detail"

Bill, that's kind of up to you to manage the customer's expectations, and to understand from them what the expectations are.

You need to ask THEM the question "what is a detail to you?", and then manage their expectations based on what is feasible and how much they want to pay (and how much time they have because it seems like a lot of your customers are friends who hang around while you are working).

Maybe part of this is thinking about what a detail is to YOU, because it seems to me that you're not really clear on that.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what a detail is to me and what I would want for a basic detail. However customers who are not always friends have stated they want their car detailed but they just say it, there has to be something exactly they are looking for too
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Ask them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    I understand what a detail is to me and what I would want for a basic detail. However customers who are not always friends have stated they want their car detailed but they just say it, there has to be something exactly they are looking for too
    Very cheap prices is what they want to hear.

Post Thanks / Like

"IF" you ever want to do this as a business then don't ever have the mindset of "What's a detail to me?"

A "detail" is subjective to each person, what one client with a Porsche 911 Turbo S deems a "detail" may differ greatly from a person with a Toyota Corolla. So our method is to explain to the client or potential client what we can do for their car based on what they feel it needs or their areas of concern. This will almost always lead them to ask, "Well what would you recommend?" to which you can then add your input but never try to force sell them on something, just make suggestions.

We can do a 1 step, 2 step or a total paint correction. After the paint polishing we can seal it with a wax, a polymer or a paint coating.....and you explain what each one is. They then decide what "detail" level they want.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

I never have that mindset, I have the mindset of what do I know and what can I do for them?

As I said, a detail is subjective,however its technically possible to give a detail to give a detail to multiple customers and get all happy responses. However, I think im trying to meet needs without actually being told what the needs are. In a way, this...I would like my car detailed response is what they want, its up to me to know and deliver
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

The customer defines the service..
    What you think is irrelevent...
    Ask them what they want, confirm you can deliver and or over deliver...
    Do what you say....

Happy...

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, a detail is:

Exterior:
    - Complete decontamination.
    - Complete paint correction.
    - Complete protection.

Interior:
    - Complete decontamination
    - Complete protection.

From there, any service performed is a designated level of a detail based on the customers budget, and the needs of the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I have people asking me all the time how much to detail their vehicle. And i tell them it depends on what they want done. They say they want it detailed. I then tell them there are many different levels of details. I ask do they want a wash and wax, do they want an AIO polish, 1 step polish, compound and polish etc..... and explain to them what each different level is. Even doing this as a hobby set a price menu with all you want to offer.
    Hi my name is Steve and I am a Griotsaholic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast