autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you attend car shows in an attempt for new business?

Hi All,

In my area there is a weekly car show where people bring there vehicles and show them off for the night, its completely free and open to the public. I had the idea of attending the car show in an attempt to find new business. Curious if any of you attend car shows to find new business and if you do also curious how you approach car owners or what the approach is in general. Thanks for any input.

Sam,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you attend car shows in an attempt for new business?

Just start talking to them. In my area people will go around and place flyers for other shows in the cars. Few years ago I would drop a business card in the car
    Hi my name is Steve and I am a Griotsaholic

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day i tried, waste of time..people don't know what a difference between a swirl and squirrel is and think they take the best care of their scratched up car.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisCoupe View Post
    Back in the day i tried, waste of time..people don't know what a difference between a swirl and squirrel is and think they take the best care of their scratched up car.
    This, and even if people are interested if you have a booth or a tent, they are more then likely embarrassed to come and ask questions, cause they are "car care masters" because they have detail spray and a 1 year old terry cloth towel that they never washed.

The majority of them all think they are 2 cool for school though, these are the same people that think you have to wetsand an entire car just to get out basic swirl marks and automatic car wash scratches.

Even though 99 cars out of 100 at those shows need paint correction, like GenesisCoupe stated above they think they take the best care of there cars.

The scratches i can accept, but not only are the cars filled with scratches, you will seriously not find any car streak free of detail spray or left over wax.

Also the glass cleaning is poor, again dirty old rags used and just smudged streaks all over the glass.

My advice to be a success at a car show, is to do a car at the show, and have a sign right infront, saying you offer that service at that show.

Have a sign that says Wash + Showcarwax
    You can do a rinseless wash and wax to generate business at the show. This will make you easier to approach for other car show participants , and then you can show them there car flaws. And make later appointments for paint correction etc.

A booth and a tent , you get interest but no where near if you have a car at the show your working on.

Post Thanks / Like

I am actually hitting 2 car shows todays. Just watch the cars pull in cause most people will get out and start wiping car off. Thats when you can approach them compliment their car then politely explain by wiping the car while hot and in the sun they are gonna leave the paint with a haze cause thier product is drying to fast. Apologies for being "rude" and just drop a line saying you are a detailer and it's just an uncontrollable response to help people keep their investments looking their best. Alot may get mad but be as polite and helpful as they will allow you to be. Somebody standing by may hear you and start to ask questions.
    Hi my name is Steve and I am a Griotsaholic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisCoupe View Post
    Yup, exactly. I just attended a Concours Car Show with million dollar + cars all over the place and a few hundred drive in attendees and I saw many buckets with bath towels, cheap Wallyworld micro fibers etc. But all of the car owners were proud of their rides. I wouldn't and didn't approach any of them.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday me and my work partner when to Cars and Coffee here in Jacksonville NC. We cleaned his car up nice which is pretty perfect to begin with and we parked it and had some of our flyers and business cards under the windshield wipers. About half of the ones that put out we're gone by the end of the show. Closer to the end of the show they did this free raffle giveaway. There was only a couple prizes so the guy that runs it ask anyone that own a business if they have anything they want to give away to kind of promote what they do. One guy went up that owns a performance shop and he gave away a free dyno /tuned session. So I was like screw it and I went up and decided to give away a free quick detail. After that about 15 people approached us and want their cars done. So it worked out pretty good

Post Thanks / Like

not to be negative on this topic,but it's a waste of time to try a earn business at a show.I use to belong to the treasure coast Chevy classics and paid a yearly fee to be a vendor and all proceeds went to the veterans.I was able to park my mobile truck right into the mix of cars.I left the door cracked on my transit just to show my inventory of neatly supplies and left cards on my windshield under each wiper in a fan design.It couldn't get any better than that.for three years maybe got 4 cars from that,you could talk the walk once the show was done you are forgotten.my biggest break was from a restoration shop that restored or quick repairs on classic cars,from that alone within 2 years probably did 40 cars.car shows is like cold calling there is so much little time to talk to someone about there car and how nice it is,then bam you whip out a card to solicit business.There are probably better ways to promote yourself in those gatherings.I think a lot of it is trust and the cost.They immediately want to know how much for a destroyed swirled out belair ,you tell them the steps and time and they think you're nuts.so to wrap this up car shows can be a hit or miss,but you won't find out till you try it.I think it's much easier to sell a 19.95 wipe on wipe off swirl concealer type product then a 500 one step polish detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by precisionmobile85 View Post
    Yesterday me and my work partner when to Cars and Coffee here in Jacksonville NC. We cleaned his car up nice which is pretty perfect to begin with and we parked it and had some of our flyers and business cards under the windshield wipers. About half of the ones that put out we're gone by the end of the show. Closer to the end of the show they did this free raffle giveaway. There was only a couple prizes so the guy that runs it ask anyone that own a business if they have anything they want to give away to kind of promote what they do. One guy went up that owns a performance shop and he gave away a free dyno /tuned session. So I was like screw it and I went up and decided to give away a free quick detail. After that about 15 people approached us and want their cars done. So it worked out pretty good
    Let me clarify my post. I kinda made it sound like that was the only reason we went to cars and coffee was to promote our business....it wasnt at all. We go to everyone they have and many other car shows cause we love cars . i only posted that to show that we simply left some flyers on a car and were just curious to see if anyone would even take a quick second to notice them. I guess what im saying is guys that clean their own cars for a car show mostly do it as a pride thing for themselves. I wouldnt approach anyone at a car show and try and sell them a detail.

Post Thanks / Like

OP if ur talking about the Pavilions , good luck....like was said above, those ppl there think they take the best care of their cars despite the swirls and scratches projected by the bright white lights in the parking lot....plus a lot of them are tight a$$es .... I've been there and sort of tried it, just the populous there doesn't really care for a REAL detail, they're satisfied with their $2 coin op wash and detail spray.
    2010 Candy White Volkswagen CC - 170k and counting DD
    2006 DSOM C6 z06 - 22k miles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast