autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you attend car shows in an attempt for new business?

It's just very hard to sell your services there,you are dead on with there mentality.

Post Thanks / Like

You could detail a car there for free just before a show and let the owner help you market your services.But I rather not do stuff for free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I think a lot of it is trust and the cost.They immediately want to know how much for a destroyed swirled out belair ,you tell them the steps and time and they think you're nuts.so to wrap this up car shows can be a hit or miss,but you won't find out till you try it.I think it's much easier to sell a 19.95 wipe on wipe off swirl concealer type product then a 500 one step polish detail.

Jeff pretty much hit it on the head here.... That is exactly my experience when going to cruise nights.
    I actually tried to change my approach, they won't let you touch their old cars, but they have daily drivers... But then again I hit a brick wall.
    As soon as I quote a price, their $7 bottle of new finish, applied with an old terry sock turned inside out (from the 70's) is a better alternative.

I stopped going to the cruise nights except if I want to look at some old cool cars.. and get some ice-cream :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe, go to the car owners, and talk to them about their paint. Tell them what you do, and bring 50/50 shots and a swirl-finder light. A lot of people just don't know any better. There will be that one guy, or two, who will be happy to see you.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

For most of us regular car show attendees it's more about the cause than the cars. I have friends that attend a couple car shows a week. It's tough to maintain a car when your showing that much with work, family, etc also needing your time.

We have a couple local detailers that actually volunteer their time working at the shows, parking cars, working registration, etc. They even come and just hang out at cruise nights. They are always wearing clothing promoting their business and are always keeping an eye on our cars. They don't hand out cards or flyers although they always have cards on hand if asked for one.

If a bird bombs one, they spring into action. They always ask the owners before they touch their cars though!!

I know others that take their show cars to them as well as their daily drivers.

They seam pretty successful by being part of the cause. That's a great way to generate business. Heck, I've met my A/C guy and my electrical guy at car shows.

Don't you do business with a good friend before a stranger?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you'd have better luck advertising at a mom-to-mom sale.

You aren't going to easily convince someone who has put on their own roof, new doors, expanded their garage, and poured their own concrete, to let you do their landscaping for them. If you are persistent and cheap you might get to mow their lawn.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I do great at car shows, usually without even being there. All I do are full paint corrections, and I leave a few cards with each customer. If I know someone is going to a car show I ask if they'll throw a card or two under their wiper blades. They're more than happy to and most have pics on their phones of 50/50 correction shots I sent them during the detail that they LOVE to show off.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow lots of negativity. First off don't set your expectations that you'll walk away with a large contract and you're good. It's a way to refine your skills first and pick up business second.

If the show is free, then why not attend as many as you can? Practice/perfect talking and LISTENING. This will take you far as a business owner.
    Every car enthusiast is going to be a little different. You never know what leads you may get.

So what if their technique isn't the same as yours? Mother freakin educate them!
    If you expect to run into know it all egotistical guys, then that's what you'll find.

Post Thanks / Like

No way in h€!! would I attend Car Shows,
    in an attempt to drum up new business,
    without first contacting the Car Shows'
    coordinators/sponsors---well in advance of
    their events---of my intentions to do so.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best course of action would be just to bring your own car, detail the heck out of it, and have a binder full of pictures that show all the different steps of what you did to the car. Then have business cards to hand out. I think the best course of action is still social media for advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast