autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for Advise on the Dallas Tx Detailing Market

I'm moving to the Carrollton area in a few months due to the Ca Car Wash Bond killing my business here in So. Cal.
    I've contacted a couple of detailers in Dallas and they are all scared of me showing up and have sent some real nice hate mail and messages my way.

I'm friends with a lot detailers around me now, we try to help each other out and are friendly. But I'm getting the feeling Tx isn't like this?

So if you in the Dallas are post what you know about the area or pm me.
    But I don't need anymore hate mail or f off comments.

I"m just trying to start my business over (and it really su cks to do this) and I just want to know the lay of the Dallas land.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for Advise on the Dallas Tx Detailing Market

Sorry my friend I can't help you on the Texas side of things.

Man that sucks about you getting hate mail dude & especially from other detailers. Shows just how insecure they are in their own abilities as detailers. I hope they're not AGO members. I can't imagine what it must be like with environmental issues making you have to move & have to start from scratch but at a guess - pretty darn scary!

I hope it all works out for you mate.

Aaryn NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the 'CA Car Wash Bond' ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    What's the 'CA Car Wash Bond' ?
    Looks like this: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/CarWash/CW-New-EN.pdf

Detailing by M, I only skimmed it but that application looks like pretty standard stuff if you've been running a legit business, and the fee is $300. Are we missing something that this requirement is chasing you out of the state?

The detailer I know of in the Dallas area is Scottwax (who doesn't post on this forum). Just from memory he seemed to have a pretty limited geographic area simply because the traffic apparently sucks down there (hey, can't be worse than CA, right?).

EDIT: Oh, I see, they are requiring a $150,000 bond. How much is it going to cost you for that? I read $1500-7500 a year depending on your credit rating.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the DFW area but am not a pro. AGO member refreshauto works at Nick's custom detailing and is an awesome guy from my interactions with him on here. Nick's does amazing work, maybe send refreshauto a PM. He might be able to help you out
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, to Texas. I've been in the Dallas area for 35+ years and really enjoy it. Dallas should be a good market, for your skills....lots of good cars, lots of money, excellent climate (most of the time). I've mostly gotten out of the hobby, due to health, but used to collect / show vintage Corvettes. Still enjoy tinkering around, and keeping the family car shiny. A couple of suggestions I could make is 1) the Plano, TX BMW dealer does a 'cars & coffee' thing on Saturday mornings.....could be a good place to pass out some cards. 2) the Lone Star Corvette Club (Home - Lone Star Corvette Club), based in Dallas, is one of the largest Corvette groups in the US (over 1000 members). They are a terrific group of people to get involved with...they meet monthly......really, good people. Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure who you talked to, but there are a ton of them around. There is plenty of work to go around especially if you want to do mobile. The shop thing works, but your reputation needs some building in the area in order for it to really work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texasgibby View Post
    Welcome, to Texas. I've been in the Dallas area for 35+ years and really enjoy it. Dallas should be a good market, for your skills....lots of good cars, lots of money, excellent climate (most of the time). I've mostly gotten out of the hobby, due to health, but used to collect / show vintage Corvettes. Still enjoy tinkering around, and keeping the family car shiny. A couple of suggestions I could make is 1) the Plano, TX BMW dealer does a 'cars & coffee' thing on Saturday mornings.....could be a good place to pass out some cards. 2) the Lone Star Corvette Club (Home - Lone Star Corvette Club), based in Dallas, is one of the largest Corvette groups in the US (over 1000 members). They are a terrific group of people to get involved with...they meet monthly......really, good people. Good luck!!
    Cars and coffee is a good idea, but the guy that runs it doesn't mess around with people handing out cards and stuff unless he has given you permission. The car club thing is an option though

Post Thanks / Like

Start carrying and you'll fit in.

As stated, there is a pretty big car/truck scene around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Cars and Coffee is awesome here. Just go out there to look at cars and bring some cards. Try to start some conversations about detailing when you get the chance and just hand one out. You can get a vendor booth, but I don't think they're cheap. I love going out there, and every once in a while I have a nice conversation about detailing
    By the way, it's every first Saturday of the month starting at 8am. Much earlier if you want to show your car though...
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast