autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Started Detailing Business help/tips etc

Hello all,

I would like to start by saying that I have started a detailing business and I'm really excited about it. I decided to start it after many years of working on my own vehicles and discovered that not only do I believe to be good at it, but it also makes me very happy to detail vehicles. On Friday my LLC was approved and I'm ready to start finding customers.

I currently have a full time job and plan to do this on the side which I believe should work since my phone isn't being knocked down with customers asking for services.

I've done my homework and have seen all the posts about how important a web site is, I have created one with all my services and pricing. I also have seen the posts about networking and even going door to door. I have a question about networking and going door to door, my question what is, what is a good thing to say when you call/walk into those businesses/homeowners? When I vision myself speaking with those individuals I see myself introducing myself, then .....? What would be a good thing to say after introducing myself? Would I go into talking about my services? Discounting customers they send my way? Would you offer discounted trail?

I also have created postcards and business cards. I have been leaving the postcards, which have a coupon on them for my services on vehicles that I believe would potentially pay for mobile detailing. Is that a good idea? would you recommend continuing to leave those on vehicles?

Is there anything else you could recommend to help find some business? Any info/advice would be much appreciated.

Sam,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Started Detailing Business help/tips etc

I can give you a customer's point of view. I get kind of grumpy about people leaving advertising junk on my car. Sorry, but you get someone thats particular about their car and they may not appreciate it.

I'm not sure about door to door. I generally brush them off, but it worked for a pdr scammer with my mother-in-law and her neighbors. He saw a neighbors dented car and talked to them. They negotiated a price, others saw him tinkering around and got him to do their cars too. Except he didn't really do anything but smear some polish over the spots to hide them and tell them to leave it on over night.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question about networking and going door to door, my question what is, what is a good thing to say when you call/walk into those businesses/homeowners?

Figure out who your target customer is. Will it be businesses or homeowners? What kind of businesses? What kind of homeowners? You need to be AS NARROW as possible. You can't be good for the masses if you can't be amazing to a few.

Once you've figure out who your customer is, find out what their real need or pain associated with your service is. This will help you figure out your pitch-what you'll say when you go "door to door." For example, let's say you're going to target households with 2 or more cars with a median income of $75,000+ year. What else do you know about these people? Well they're busy...many of them have jobs...they have kids...the have other obligations and priorites outside of getting their car detailed. They don't even have time to go to the car wash. So what do you offer them? TIME...YOU SELL TIME. Why? Because you go directly to them. While they're at home or at work doing what they do, you detail their car. Your solving the pain of GIVING them more time while still getting the benefit of a clean car unlike alternatives. Try something like this:
    Some sort of greeting (hello, hi, hey, etc.) I'm with Delicate Touch Auto and I offer time-extending detailing services. Then your customer will say, "what do you mean by that?" You say: Well, when you want a clean car, you have to either give you car to detail shop for x number of hours, get a ride...or go to the car wash and wait in line...or do it yourself which takes 2 plus hours...(or whatever you decide their main method of solving their issue of a clean car is currently.) With my service, you only use 1 minute of your own time to schedule an appointment with me. Imagine you walk into work, house, school, etc. with a dirty car, and come out to a nice clean ride...see this pitch focuses ON THE PROBLEM for which you offer a solution to.

NOW, if your customers main problem is that they can't afford a new car, but want to feel like they're in a new car, you'd need a new angle. You would explain how expensive a new car is and how it depreciates and how much cheaper you can restore their interior and exterior to be like new (depending on what services you're offering). It's EXTREMELY important to REALLY KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER(s). KNOW who they are, what they do, where they eat, etc. Now if you go through this whole thing at explaining why your service is of value and they're not totally convinced offer them a discount.

I also have created postcards and business cards. I have been leaving the postcards, which have a coupon on them for my services on vehicles that I believe would potentially pay for mobile detailing. Is that a good idea? would you recommend continuing to leave those on vehicles?
    Check the laws in your area to make sure you're allowed to leave flyers on people's cars like that. Where my business is, I'm not and could be fined $5,000 for doing so. Your flyers might be a good idea if they have a good compelling headline on them...a coupon isn't always enough to get someone to use your service. Does your flyer show how much better you are then the many competitors in your area (car wash tunnels, doing it themselves, detail shops, other mobile detailers, having a dirty car? Think about this.

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Why a website for mobile.Its a waste of money,your out detailing cars and people see and inquire about your services.once you get a revolving 20 clients you will have a good base and grow from there for free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Why a website for mobile.Its a waste of money,your out detailing cars and people see and inquire about your services.once you get a revolving 20 clients you will have a good base and grow from there for free.
    It depends on what your goals are. I use my website to advertise and to schedule appointments. 70% of my new customers find me through my website. A revolving base of 20 clients is great for someone who wants to keep it relatively small, but I'm shooting for the starts. It also depends on your target market and where you live. For me, since my website gives me 70% of my business and I pay less than $30/year (including designing and building it since I use wordpress) I received over a 200% return on my investment after my first customer. The key is to know HOW to use the web for a mobile business. The other GREAT thing about websites, is that they never need a break, blow away in the wind, go to sleep, get lost, lose their charge, show up late, don't require food, and are easy to make better and advance with your business.

Post Thanks / Like

I would find the reputable mechanic in town and go in and talk to him/her. People trust a mechanic (where I live anyway) and they see A LOT of cars every day. All you have to do is walk in and ask to leave some cards. Tell him/her that you have clients asking about reputable mechanics in town and that you would love some of his/her cards. I have done this and have gotten 5 clients in the last two weeks from him ALONE.

Also, I asked around to find out who the best tint and dent guys were. I went to them with the same schtick. They are always looking to expand their business (as am I) and we are happy to help eachother out. I have gotten a few referrals through them already and just yesterday referred a nice Porsche 911 to my dent guy. He is happier than a pig in sh*t!

Facebook has been gold for me. My name has been brought up (a few times by the mechanic!) in a buy and sell and free stuff group on Facebook. Just on those recommendations, I have been quoting and booking like crazy. Keep in mind I have not spent a dollar on that advertising. I do have a website and business cards. When I am on a job, I have at least 2-3 people come up out of curiosity and they always take a card. I am really pushing the fact that I go to them. People are AMAZED that this service exists and love it. The convenience is really the selling point in my market (about 150,000 residents).

My next step is to narrow down the customers I am looking to serve. The mom-mini vans are decent dough, but not the most fun (you can imagine). Read what you can on this forum. I am amazed at how fellow detailers are willing to help you out. Its a tough but fun business and these people actually WANT to see you succeed. Follow their advice and you will be successful!
    Pete's Pro Mobile Detailing
    "Keepin' the Shine in the 519"
    519-546-9277 | www.petesprodetailing.ca | www.facebook.com/petesprodetailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I been out the past couple of days going door to door and haven't found anyone yet that has taken my services on the spot but definitely ran into some people that were interested in my services and more than likely will call me back, so that's exciting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Delicate Touch Auto View Post
    I been out the past couple of days going door to door and haven't found anyone yet that has taken my services on the spot but definitely ran into some people that were interested in my services and more than likely will call me back, so that's exciting.
    That is exciting! Congrats on making that first leap and knocking on doors. There are SOO many people out there who don't even get that far. Plus, the more you do it, the better you'll get, the easier it'll be. Eventually you'll never have to do it ever again.
    Taylor M. - Shoot me an email or a PM if you have other questions.
    www.WashEngineer.com
    Helping Mobile Detailers MAKE IT BIG