autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the biggest thing you're struggling with in your business?

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    For me it's always getting new clients.

I have worked on my SEO for a while and will be using ads on Facebook and Google in about a week or two. So hopefully the combination of the 2 will improve the number of calls I get.

So far all the calls I have been getting this week is for things I do not do: One guys wanted me to work on his tramission LOL, an other guys called be because there is rust Inside his headlight??? Then this guy today wanted me to remove the water Inside his headlights. I have watched a few videos and removing water and condensation then sealing the headlight with a silicone product seems pretty easy, so I am thinking of adding that to my service list. My only worry is not being able to remove all the headlights, some might have complicated assembly to the vehicle... any of you guys do this?

Weather is almost ok to start taking clients, just a few more degrees and I will start scheduling. It's frustrating at this time of year when you are pretty much ready to start but can't
    To get more customers have you tried starting a referral program with the customers you already have? That's EASIEST and CHEAPEST way to get new customers.

For the headlights, I'd ask him the make, model, and year of the person's vehicle. Some headlights are easier than others like you said...but being able to look up videos beforehand for that SPECIFIC customer will make them more satisfied and your job much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WashEngineer View Post
    Unfortunately, no one can change the weather...since you're in Canada it's much too cold to wash outdoors during winter...but light rain days perhaps you could use a tent?

Alternatively, you could try to barter with someone who has an autobody shop that isn't doing so well, and propose a revenue sharing rent structure...they way they only make money if you make money...which lowers the risk for you...if you get a lot of customers though, it could be more expensive in the short-term, but will keep your customers more engaged with you in the long run.
    Sharing a garage is a good idea to lower risk and expenses... but an autobody shop is probably not the best place to detail. They constantly sand paint, and body and the air is filled with contaminants in those shops. When I had my truck reprayed last year just sitting there for a few hours it was covered in white dust... you could barelly see the color through it and it's a dark perl blue !

Post Thanks / Like

Im not in auto detailing but in Marine boat detailing. Im super busy all the time and really do need an employee or who and get a crew going but i have a hard time trusting people to do the same work as me.

Post Thanks / Like

Obtaining, training, and retaining quality employees... managing people is my biggest challenge as I never had any experience before starting my business. I'm constantly learning though and I think I've got a good team of 3 people going into summer this year.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coastalf350 View Post
    Im not in auto detailing but in Marine boat detailing. Im super busy all the time and really do need an employee or who and get a crew going but i have a hard time trusting people to do the same work as me.
    Trust is VERY important in a business like this. Perhaps you can bring someone on on a conditional basis for 30-days or so. And you promise them at the end of the 30-days, if they do good work, that you'll give them a raise or some other incentive that excites them. That worked with myself and my employees. I also invested a lot of time in teaching them to do things the right way. Having an employee is no easy feat, but having too many customers is a great problem.

Another tactic, is that you can ONLY have the employee work with you vs. doing vehicles on their own. If they exclusively work with you, you can check their work as you go to avoid mistakes, and do the detail twice as fast and increase the number of appointments you can do in a day. So instead of scheduling 2 cars (or boats) at the same time and sending the employee to 1 of the appointments, you bring them to your appointment and schedule the next one closer to the previous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FinishingTouchA View Post
    Obtaining, training, and retaining quality employees... managing people is my biggest challenge as I never had any experience before starting my business. I'm constantly learning though and I think I've got a good team of 3 people going into summer this year.
    That's awesome that you belive in your team! Have you tried reading any books on management or leadership? Malcom Gladwell is a great author on the leadership and management forefront. I also learned a lot of lessons from the book How to Win Friends and Influence People by Andrew Carnegie. Here's a link to the audiobook on youtube (free of course): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giauKlmDe60

Post Thanks / Like

I love this. As a business owner, employees will be the biggest headache of all. But employees are the only thing that will set you free from being self employed. Recruit them, build them, lead them, and finally develop them into leaders. Looks like you are on the right track FTA.

Post Thanks / Like

Just bumping this thread! I think it's been quite helpful for folks to post problems they're facing without having to create an entirely new thread on here. Keep the problems coming.
    Taylor M. - Shoot me an email or a PM if you have other questions.
    www.WashEngineer.com
    Helping Mobile Detailers MAKE IT BIG

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WashEngineer View Post
    That's awesome that you belive in your team! Have you tried reading any books on management or leadership? Malcom Gladwell is a great author on the leadership and management forefront. I also learned a lot of lessons from the book How to Win Friends and Influence People by Andrew Carnegie. Here's a link to the audiobook on youtube (free of course): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giauKlmDe60
    +1 on Andrew Carnegies book. Amazing book I highly recommend any business owner to read it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12