autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Stickers From Sun Visors

So I REALLY hate these things but have been afraid to attempt removal for fear of damaging the material-not positive if mine are vinyl or leather but I'm assuming vinyl. In one of the other forums there is an on-going thread about exactly that but I wanted to run these methods by our members to get some feedback prior to giving it a try. Below are the two approaches that seem to get the desired results easily and safely. When I read one of the guys used acetone for removal I cringed but....if it worked it works. What do you think?

Suggested removal techniques:

Method #1
    Even better and easier than removing the visors is this little trick I tried today that worked to perfection.

Simply pull and unsnap the visor from its stowed position and swing it around as if you were trying to block the sun from the side window. Now rotate the visor so that the sticker side is facing up. The visor is now in a perfectly horizontal position.

Now take a kitchen paper towel and fold it such that it will just cover the area of the sticker. Now soak the the paper towel with Denatured Alcohol (that's what I used) and simply set the alcohol soaked paper towel over the sticker. Next, take a thin plastic bag - the kind you get at the produce section - and slip it over the entire visor and twist and tape the open end shut so that you seal everything inside, preventing the alcohol from evaporating.

Take a nap (that's what I did, truth) and after an hour or so remove the plastic wrap and simply peel the now wrinkled sticker off. Voila! It comes off intact! Amazing!

There is, however, some residue remaining that will need to be cleaned up. But I'll wait until tomorrow to do this, just so the vinyl can recover from the sudden shock of fumigation. Seriously, the vinyl needs to rest after this shock treatment.

Method #2
    I put a bit of acetone on a cheap microfiber cloth and rubbed it against the sticker. Less than 10 minutes I had both of them off. It worked perfectly, no marks, scratches, fading, nada.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Stickers From Sun Visors

Even better...IMO:
    Just cover them up with something like these:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be really hesitant to use acetone.

Besides, I like to keep that stuff on, it keeps the car feeling "new" to me. I still have the transit wrap on my car, I just tell people they were out of clear bra, so I have a white bra.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Even better...IMO:
    Just cover them up with something like these:

Bob
    Here's another cover-up option:Carbon Fiber Look Visor Covers / C7 Engine Runners

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the acetone, little scary IMO. Not sure I'm excited about a sticker on top of a sticker. The whole point of the exercise is to get rid of the freak'n sticker, not add to the collection.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 pence worth, if you have a steam cleaner!

It takes the stress and effort of of the task

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romach View Post
    My 2 pence worth, if you have a steam cleaner!

It takes the stress and effort of of the task

actually i do have a steamer - suggestions on how to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Steam should hear up the glue and life it easily if its a sticker then all you need is to clean off the melted glue

Is it a plastic or paper sticker?

Plastic is real easy

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic sticker - I'm assuming that you keep moving the steamer wand over the sticker until the adhesive let's go. After that just wipe dry and good to go?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yip, all you are doing is heating the glue to break the bond then spray with a good interior cleaner and wipe dry with a microfibre and the jobs done!

Steamer is awesome on carpets and seats

Mike has recently done a guide on how he cleaner an old Ferrari interior using a steamer - it's well worth watching!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast