autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How to use Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads to mechanically decontaminate your car's paint

How to use Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads to mechanically decontaminate your car's paint

Daily drivers need decontamination
    If you car is a daily driver, then chances are very good there are contaminants built-up on the surface of the paint. Common contaminants include,

• Overspray paint
    • Tree sap mist
    • Industrial pollution
    • Airborne dirt and exhaust pollution

Won't wash off
    These contaminants form a strong bond so strong that they will not simply wash off. The only way to remove them through a mechanical process.

The Baggie Test
    A simple and fast way to determine if you need to decontaminate your car's paint is through the baggie test. Simply place your hand in a clean sandwich baggie and feel the horizontal surfaces of your car's paint. Be sure to wash and dry your car first, or wipe the are to be inspected using a spray detailer or waterless wash so you don't rub loose dirt over the paint.

Let the machine do the work
    Nanoskin Autoscrub pads are a substitute for detailing clay except you use them by machine with any dual action polisher including,

• Porter Cable 7424XP
    • Meguiar's G110v2
    • Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher both 3" and 6"
    • Cyclo Polishers
    • Flex 3401

Step by step how to use the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads
    Step 1: Wash and dry car.

Step 2: Move car into a shaded area, work on surface that is cool to the touch.

Step 3: Inspect paint using the baggie test.

Step 4: Spray plenty of clay lubricant onto a section of paint.

Step 5: Attach and center the Nanosking Autoscrub to the backing plate.

Step 6: Using a medium speed setting, just fast enough to maintain pad rotation, move the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad over the paint in slow, overlapping passes. Use a crosshatch pattern for larger sections and a back and forth motion for thin panels.
    After 4-5 section passes, turn polisher off, wipe residue off paint and re-inspect using the baggie test. If paint is smooth and free of contaminants, move onto new territory. If little bumps are felt then repeat.

Here's a local streetrod and 1/4 mile drag car that we worked on recently as a Thursday night project car. We inspected the paint using the baggie test and the test revealed the paint had a heavy accumulation of some type of contaminants.

So before doing any correction or polishing work the first order of business was to decontaminate the paint and get it smooth to the touch.

Mechanical Decontamination

After wiping Thom's car clean using Detailer's Waterless Auto Wash the next thing to do was inspect the paint. To do this we used the Baggie Test.

Results

The paint failed the baggie test horribly. The paint on this car el like sandpaper. So the first point of order would be to remove whatever contaminants were bonded to the paint and for this we chose

Detailer's Universal Clay Lube + Nanosking Autoscrub pads and towels. A few of the guys had never seen these products before so this was a great learning experience.

Den is on the passenger side, Frank is opposite on the driver's side and Annti is working with a Nanoskin Towel on the front of the hood.

This is Sherman, this was his first time to Autogeek's Thursday night Extreme Makeover. Sherman was here doing a Will Call for some products when he saw Thom drive up and into the garage. I greeted Sherman and invited him to stick around and have some fun working on a cool car and so he did.

The owner Thom and his uncle John are in the background testing out the Nanoskin towels. This was the first time they had used this type of product instead of detailing clay.

This is Giacomello, he's a member of our forum but this is his first time to be a part of the AG Extreme Makeover Team.

On Autogeek.net

Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad - 6" Medium Grade (Yellow)

Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad - 4" Medium Grade (Yellow)

Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad - 6" Fine Grade (Blue)

Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad - 4" Fine Grade (Blue)

Detailer's Universal Clay Lube - 32 ounce

Detailer's Universal Clay Lube - 1 gallon

Show car results like these start with a clean, smooth surface. Remember,

Gloss STARTS with a smooth surface - Mike Phillips

See the complete write-up here...

Pictures: 1966 Orange Chevy Nova Super Sport Extreme Makeover

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads to mechanically decontaminate your car's paint

It is a great product and has been talked about often. But can anyone tell how to do a black car without getting any marring from the pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads to mechanically decontaminate your car's paint

Mike, does this work more quickly than by hand? It's already easy enough with the nanoskin towel. What are the advantages of using a machine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengo123 View Post
    Mike, does this work more quickly than by hand? It's already easy enough with the nanoskin towel. What are the advantages of using a machine?
    I say it significantly reduces your actual work time. Especially on a large flat panels like say the hood.

And You can work in very large areas with very minimal effort and most of the elbow grease is done by the machine your just guiding it.

I use the AutoScrub pad on my Rupes 21 and I use the towel for nooks and crannies that the Rupes w/AutoScrub can't get get into.

So I would say using both the towel and the pad increases productivity then just using solely one or the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    I say it significantly reduces your actual work time. Especially on a large flat panels like say the hood.

And You can work in very large areas with very minimal effort and most of the elbow grease is done by the machine your just guiding it.

I use the AutoScrub pad on my Rupes 21 and I use the towel for nooks and crannies that the Rupes w/AutoScrub can't get get into.

So I would say using both the towel and the pad increases productivity then just using solely one or the other.
    I dig it.. Thanks art!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent912 View Post

It is a great product and has been talked about often.

But can anyone tell how to do a black car without getting any marring from the pad?

It's my opinion and experience that you cannot use a Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad by machine and not get inflict some level of marring. That's why I practice, recommend and teach others this rule.

If you're going to use ANY form of mechanical decontamination, then you should already be planning on doing at least one machine polishing step to ensure a defect free finish.

I know some don't like to hear this but thats reality. And here's the bigger picture, if you see marring happening on a clearcoated black car it's happening on any color of car it's just on lighter colors your eyes cannot detect the marring.

Each person can choose their level of perfection. Some people are happy just to have shiny paint and I've met a lot people in my life that want absolute perfection for each square inch and of course a lot of people fall in-between these two extremes.

So if you have a silver metallic Camry and after using any method to mechanically decontaminate the paint, if the paint still looks great to your eyes then sealer her up and move on down the road.

If you have a black Viper and after using a Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel, Mitt or Pad, or if you use detailing clay, if afterwards you see marring, then break out the polisher and a light cutting polish and polish the paint back to perfection having already known this would be the case.

I do think a person can use an ultra fine detailing clay and a soft touch with lots of lube to do maintenance decontamination but paint hardness or softness will also be an uncontrollable factor as it relates to marring or no marring.

Exceptions to the rule

I have personal experience using the Nanoskin Autoscrub Towels by machine on dark and black colored paints and leaving zero visible marring. Here's a recent car I detailed where I used the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad and neither the owner or myself could detect any signs of marring. I find Ceramiclears to be very resistant to this type of marring as well as car washing and drying scratches. Probably my favorite paint to own and work on.

How long to wait before waxing a brand new car?

Process

Jim washed his car beforehand so I wiped the car down using Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash with Carnauba.

Step 1 - Decontaminated using the Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Foam Pad – 6 inch. <--

Step 2 - Machine Polish using Rupes Duetto Orbital Polisher with Rupes Yellow Foam Polishing Pad and Rupes Keramik Gloss Fine Gel Polish

Step 3 - Re-Cleaned paint to remove polishing oils using Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish

Step 4 - Applied Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Step 5 - Sealed tires with TUF Shine Tire Clearcoat

Here's the final results....

A good rule of thumb for ANY paint polishing procedure is to test first, that is do a TEST SPOT. Take the clean surface of the hood or trunk lid and rub whatever it is you're thinking about using over the entire car onto just a section of paint and then inspect. This will give you an idea as to what could potentially happen.

And of course, always use common sense...

Good question asalesagent912

Mike Phillips

Mike, does this work more quickly than by hand?
    Not if you're can move your hand really fast while also doing a really good job.

It's already easy enough with the nanoskin towel.

What are the advantages of using a machine?

Let me use wetsanding paint as a way of sharing the advantages.

When you hand sand, even if you're really good at HAND sanding you still have un-even pressure points on the face of the sand paper and also, controlling downward pressure, that is keeping the downward pressure the same over the paint requires more skill and concentration.

It's easy to push down on a sanding backing pad when your arm and hand is right below your body but the further away you extend your arm and hand from your body the more you have to concentrate on the pressure you're applying during what should be a very fast hand stroke to keep it equal with the pressure you applied with your hand next to your body.

I cover this in one of my wetsanding articles somewhere and also show this in my detailing classes.

Now by machine, that all goes out the window because you're letting the weight of the machine apply the majority of the downward force. You of course must apply some downward pressure for good cutting and also to keep the face of the sanding pad oscillating smoothly over the surface but nothing like hand sanding.

Or more simply, machine sanding is easier and faster than hand sanding. (there are other benefits too).

Like machine sanding, using a dual action polisher to run a Nanosking Autoscrub Pad over the paint surface is easier and for most people faster. Depends on how fast a person can move their hand and still be doing high quality work.

I like what Art said though and that is you really need the towel because there are some panels or areas that you cannot use a Nanosking Autoscrub Pad, not even the 4" version.

Here's the really big pictures.... this is just my personal take on polishing paint in general.... if I'm going to polish out a car I've already made two decisions,

1. I like the owner.

2. I like the project.
    Remember, in my detailing boot camp classes the first thing I teach is,

Evaluate the customer first!

Here's a screenshot of the slide from my Power Point Presentation.

So once those two decisions have been made one of the primary goals is to maximize gloss and gloss comes from a smooth surface. This is why the paint on the above Nova looks so glossy, it starts with getting the paint completely smooth.

If I want to make sure I have the paint surface as smooth as possible then I'm going to opt to machine decontaminate the paint because my hands-on experience shows me that the Nanoskin products outperform detailing clay.

It's an easy test to prove to yourself. All you have to do is clay a section of contaminated paint and then feel the paint with the baggie test. In as many instances as I can remember, I can always feel some residual bumps left on the paint.

When I do the same with the Nanosking Autoscrub Pads, Towels or Mitts I rarely feel anything. At least not enough to be of a concern.

My goal is to get the paint as flat as possible before I start machine polishing and Nanoskin does this consistently.

I can't count how many times in my life someone has asked me,

"Won't machine polishing remove contaminants?"

The answer is yes and no.

It's YES if you're using a compound with a wool pad on a rotary buffer because this combination is going to remove a LOT of paint quickly and while removing the paint it's going to remove any contaminants bonded to the top of the paint.

It's NO if you're using ANY type of FOAM PAD on any tool because the foam is soft and gentle, at least compared to the individual fibers that make up a wool cutting pad and the uniform foam surface with it's ability to contour and compress is going to glide over contaminants, not shear them off.

Sure it will remove some contaminants but the most effective way to remove above surface bonded contaminants, that is contaminants with a bond strong enough to the paint that they won't remove via washing the car, is to use a dedicated mechanical decontamination step to remove them and thus create a flat paint surface perfect for the next step of machine polishing.

At least that's my take....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

I can't count how many times in my life someone has asked me,

"Won't machine polishing remove contaminants?"

The answer is yes and no.

It's YES if you're using a compound with a wool pad on a rotary buffer because this combination is going to remove a LOT of paint quickly and while removing the paint it's going to remove any contaminants bonded to the top of the paint.

It's NO if you're using ANY type of FOAM PAD on any tool because the foam is soft and gentle, at least compared to the individual fibers that make up a wool cutting pad and the uniform foam surface with it's ability to contour and compress is going to glide over contaminants, not shear them off.

Sure it will remove some contaminants but the most effective way to remove above surface bonded contaminants, that is contaminants with a bond strong enough to the paint that they won't remove via washing the car, is to use a dedicated mechanical decontamination step to remove them and thus create a flat paint surface perfect for the next step of machine polishing.

I see this comment often on forums and on group pages. Thanks for addressing this topic Mike.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post

I see this comment often on forums and on group pages.

Thanks for addressing this topic Mike.

No problemo... it's a common point of confusion.

I'm pretty sure I cover this in my ibook on claying....

How to use Detailing Clay on the Apple iBookstore

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to try Nanoskin products out, so I decided to use the sponges first to see if I like it. I've used them on 2 cars now, and it is way faster than clay and it produces great results. I had some marring on cars where I had some serious contamination, but it came out very easy with polishing.

I am able to do cars pretty fast with just the sponge. I'm guessing the pad on the DA would be even faster!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast