autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads to mechanically decontaminate your car's paint

Does Autozone, Advance Autoparts or O'Reilly's Auto Parts stock Nanoskin products?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads to mechanically decontaminate your car's paint

Quote Originally Posted by marki61701 View Post
    Does Autozone, Advance Autoparts or O'Reilly's Auto Parts stock Nanoskin products?

A guy named Google might now that.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by marki61701 View Post

I don't think so. It's too unique of a product and most of the sales staff at what are called,

Hard Parts Store

Wouldn't know how to use it or sell it so it would likely sit on the shelf. It cost a lot of money to get a product on a retail shelf and unless there's a lot of rotation it won't stay there very long.

The good news is you can get it here on Autogeek.com and the real benefit besides the tool is this forum where you can read articles like this one we're talking to each other in because to my knowledge, retail auto part stores don't offer support via a detailing discussion forum.

On Autogeek.com

Nanoskin products

Post Thanks / Like

Hey @Mike.Phillips@Autogeek,

I tried using a medium grade Nanoskin 6" pad on my 2005 BMW 530i last weekend, and I got very confused by what speed to run on my Flex 3401 and how many passes to make on a particular spot. I know of your baggie test and tried it every now and then, but I feel I spend a lot of time on the process. The surface did feel very smooth in the end. The car has not been clayed in the past, so I really want to bring it up.

I found it difficult to rely on baggie test alone, and would prefer to know some general guidelines. Is there a rule of thumb regarding my confusions?
    -Babar MUGHAL
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I am leaning new things everyday.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bym007 View Post

Hey @Mike.Phillips@Autogeek,

I tried using a medium grade Nanoskin 6" pad on my 2005 BMW 530i last weekend, and I got very confused by what speed to run on my Flex 3401 and how many passes to make on a particular spot.

As for speed? With the gear-driven FLEX 3401 speed 2-3 is fine. The 1 setting is too slow but there's no need to buzz her up past 3.

Quote Originally Posted by bym007 View Post

I know of your baggie test and tried it every now and then, but I feel I spend a lot of time on the process. The surface did feel very smooth in the end. The car has not been clayed in the past, so I really want to bring it up.

I found it difficult to rely on baggie test alone, and would prefer to know some general guidelines. Is there a rule of thumb regarding my confusions?

Different contaminants abrade off differently and of course technique plays a factor as does the condition of the Nanoskin disc.

I'd make 4-6 section passes and then inspect. IF the paint feels flat then repeat this over the rest of the panels.

Sorry to say there's no universal answer as there are too many variables. The only way to really now if all or most of the contaminants are removed is via the baggie test.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    As for speed? With the gear-driven FLEX 3401 speed 2-3 is fine. The 1 setting is too slow but there's no need to buzz her up past 3.

Different contaminants abrade off differently and of course technique plays a factor as does the condition of the Nanoskin disc.

I'd make 4-6 section passes and then inspect. IF the paint feels flat then repeat this over the rest of the panels.

Sorry to say there's no universal answer as there are too many variables. The only way to really now if all or most of the contaminants are removed is via the baggie test.

Thanks, I will try again.

Flex 3401 available for sale in Jeddah
    -Babar MUGHAL
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I am leaning new things everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

this now has me thinking should i buy into. I currently use clay on customer cars and use the Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge on my car or other cars i have kept up with. How do you go about cleaning the pad, is it similar to cleaning the sponge?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

What speed would you recommend on rupes 15 Mk II?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BMWNoob View Post
    What speed would you recommend on rupes 15 Mk II?

The lowest speed setting or whatever is required to maintain pad rotation.

The lowest RPM/OPM for the BigFoot 15mm orbital polisher is 2000 on the 1 speed setting. So test this and if you're able to maintain pad rotation stay there. If not start bumping up until you are able to maintain pad rotation.

In order for the Nanoskin pad to WORK it must both rotate and oscillate. If it's NOT rotating then all it's doing is VIBRATING and you cannot remove above surface contaminants off paint from pad vibration just like you cannot remove swirls and scratches from ONLY pad vibration although I've seen and heard a few detailing gurus in our industry claim this does work.

:laughing?

Post Thanks / Like

These are such a time saver when using them by machine.

PSA:

I think Mike stated this in another thread but these are not recommended to use with the Rupes Duetto.

The lowest RPM the Duetto runs at is around 4000 RPMs which is just too much for the pads to handle. I bought two off brand disks to use and quickly destroyed them before I found this information. Part of this may have been because of the cheaper product that I bought.

I now have a PC style machine that I use for this and to keep my Duetto away from water.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast