autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick DIY: Make your favorite spray bottle work upside down

First, I want to say that I was just playing with this idea; I definitely used the wrong material for the tubing. You really need some latex tubing and I found some online being sold as "surgical tubing." My local Lowes has some, but it's in the 3/8'' sizing: too big for this application. If you use latex tubing, this will be a very nice addition to your spray bottles, and you won't have to use a $4 part as the "weight." On to the good stuff:

" and yet a true creator is necessity, which is the mother of our invention. " -Plato

Using my interior cleaner this weekend, I got pretty annoyed when trying to reach the bottle upside down under certain spots. To get the coverage that I wanted. I needed an aerosol-style bottle that would spray upside down. This is what I came up with.

My favorite spray bottle:

These are the parts that you'll need. Note the aside above: you'll need to use latex tubing for this. I happened to have a piece of Poly tubing that was the same size as the original, 3/16 ID. You can trim the original tube if you'd like; I prefer to preserve the original in case of a return to factory form. The vinyl that I used is not quite flexible enough. The weight that I used is a 1/8" hose barb. Using latex tubing, you'll be able to substitute this for just about anything, glass beads come to mind, possibly even the original strainer from the GG sprayer.

Trim the tubing to match the length of the original tube.

Remove the factory tubing from the sprayer.

Insert a small piece of the new tubing, preferably latex, into your original (or original sized) piece.

Trim the original or original sized tubing to an inch or two, and apply the weight. I used a hose barb on this one.

Gently push the poly tubing back into the sprayer.

This is the final result. This is what you're looking for. The ability for the "draw tube" to react to gravity- the same way product inside your spray bottle will. This will help with any presoak applications on lower panels of cars, interior cleaning in tough to reach spots, pretty much anything that you may need a spray bottle to work upside down.

Hope it helps!

Scott

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick DIY: Make your favorite spray bottle work upside down

Does anyone have a Kwazar 360 ?

Please take a few pictures of the innards.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool trick. I don't really see a need for it myself but I won't forget it if I ever do.
    PCB Reflections LLC
    Specializing in Corrections and Protection
    Servicing Greenville SC & Surrounding Areas

Post Thanks / Like

You, sir, should win a Nobel prize

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just remove the tubing all together and keep it simple if you are only going to be using it upside-down?

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyrider View Post
    Why not just remove the tubing all together and keep it simple if you are only going to be using it upside-down?
    +1 couldn't you just remove the tube all together? I mean yes a tiny tiny bit wouldn't get sucked up but at that point you just refill it.
    2014 Mercedes-Benz C250

Post Thanks / Like

Quite inventive. Nice effort. Don't want to be a buzzkill here, but there is an SM Arnold yellow "upside down" trigger sprayer that works at any angle. They work really well and cost $1.50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up yeah you can buy one but making one yourself and putting into your arsenal shows that you can make what you have work in many ways then just intended also it shows that you care about detailing too...good luck, and keep inventing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. I definitely know of some that are available to purchase, but I had these parts in the tool bag already. I've seen those SM Arnold mechanisms on some sprayer before, but didn't know what it was called. Thanks for the info. If you're curious, they have a "BB" in the chamber that seals off the tube if sprayed upright; but, as soon as you turn it upside down, the BB releases and uses the chamber at the top of the sprayer.

Removing the tube all together would work spraying upside down, but the point of this one is that if you used latex or other extremely flexible tubing- you could use the spray bottle in any direction. I see the confusion that my last pic caused. The weight will draw the tube back to the bottom if you are spraying upright. Sorry for the lack of an upright pic.

My initial problem was when I wanted to spray upside down it wouldn't spray. I use the bottle upright 95% of the time. Removing the tube would only help me in the 5% of the time that I need to spray upside down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast