autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11

    Re: The Definitive Guide for LEATHER CARE - Including Dye Transfer Removal

    Great Article Nick, Now my dilemma some customer DO NOT KNOW and sometimes I can't tell which is leather and which is NOT, I prefer products that treat all leather and leather like (vinyl) coated seating dash and consoles. any good ideas or products?
    Leather vs Leatherette in a BMW

  2. #12
    Senior Member BobbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Southeast, MA
    Posts
    13,211

    Re: The Definitive Guide for LEATHER CARE - Including Dye Transfer Removal

    Nick,

    This is another of your stunning tutorials that should be in a section of its own....So very well done and THE complete guide to leather care....

    Outstanding!

    BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

  3. #13
    Administrator Nick@Autogeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,762

    Re: The Definitive Guide for LEATHER CARE - Including Dye Transfer Removal

    Thanks fellas.

    Quote Originally Posted by 10secdream View Post
    How would you compare BL Leather and Vinyl Coating to Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant?
    PBL Leather & Vinyl Coating creates a more substantial barrier of protection, which is one of the reasons it provides such outstanding resistance to dye transfer. It also applies thinner, meaning less is required to do a panel, seat, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Definitive is a strong word to use with this crowd.


    de·fin·i·tive adjective di-ˈfi-nə-tiv

    : not able to be argued about or changed : final and settled

    : complete, accurate, and considered to be the best of its kind
    Thanks Allen - I'll take that as a compliment. A lot goes into one of these threads, and it's not every day I deem something the "definitive" guide. It has to meet a certain criteria to earn that title, and I feel this article does that with flying colors.

    I already have a couple "definitive guides" under my belt, and you can bet I'll be adding more in the future!

    If you haven't already, check them out!

    Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax

    The Definitive How-To Guide for Spray Waxes, Quick Detail Sprays & Waterless Washes



    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@AutoCleanse View Post
    Nick great review, just curious if there is any specific wait time between all the application steps or can you do it one after another especially the conditioner to the coating part. Thanks
    Great question Chris.

    After cleaning the leather with Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner, I went right to Leather Dye Transfer Cleaner. This product has a chemical smell, and left the leather feeling "tacky" for a couple minutes, so I decided to wait about 15 minutes before applying Hide-Soft Leather Conditioner. I like to apply leather conditioners liberally, and because of that I waited another 15-20 minutes before applying Leather & Vinyl Coating, as I wanted to allow adequate time for the oils from the conditioner to be absorbed into the leather.


  4. #14
    Senior Member Desertnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    St Louis metro (Illinois)
    Posts
    2,063

    Re: The Definitive Guide for LEATHER CARE - Including Dye Transfer Removal

    Great article, Nick.

    What is the consensus on use of the conditioner? I have read other places that extended/frequent use of leather conditioner can "over soften" the leather and cause it to start tearing along the stiching. I saw this first hand on a previous car, but was never sure if it was years of leather conditioner use...or the car was 11 years old!

    If I'm hitting the seats with a conditioner 2~3 times a year that's quite a bit of product over the lifespan of the car.

    Also, for those vehicles with the coated leather seats, does the conditioner actually get into the leather itself? The owners manuals of my leather equipped cars say to hit the seats with diluted Woolite and then cover them with a protecant.
    Save the Manuals!!

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    127

    Re: The Definitive Guide for LEATHER CARE - Including Dye Transfer Removal

    I like this write up, nice review

  6. #16
    Senior Member Tato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,157

    Re: The Definitive Guide for LEATHER CARE - Including Dye Transfer Removal

    This is the best leather treatment thread I've seen so far, thanks for taking your time sharing your techniques.

    Would you think a Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt would work like your bonnet? It's cheaper than bonnet and both sides may be used.
    Meguiars X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt

    I'll get the whole line recommended to offer as a premium leather treatment, I'm sure I'll be backed up.

    Thought my leather was doing good... Just thought!

    Thanks for all info,

    Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

    ― Isaac Newton

  7. #17
    Administrator Nick@Autogeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,762

    Re: The Definitive Guide for LEATHER CARE - Including Dye Transfer Removal

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Excellent review and excellent photography Nick! Thanks for the good info.
    Thanks Frank!

    Quote Originally Posted by 215Detailing View Post
    Great Article Nick, Now my dilemma some customer DO NOT KNOW and sometimes I can't tell which is leather and which is NOT, I prefer products that treat all leather and leather like (vinyl) coated seating dash and consoles. any good ideas or products?
    Leather vs Leatherette in a BMW
    All of the featured products in this article are safe AND effective for Leatherette.

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Nick,

    This is another of your stunning tutorials that should be in a section of its own....So very well done and THE complete guide to leather care....

    Outstanding!
    Thanks Bobby!

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Great article, Nick.

    What is the consensus on use of the conditioner? I have read other places that extended/frequent use of leather conditioner can "over soften" the leather and cause it to start tearing along the stiching. I saw this first hand on a previous car, but was never sure if it was years of leather conditioner use...or the car was 11 years old!

    If I'm hitting the seats with a conditioner 2~3 times a year that's quite a bit of product over the lifespan of the car.

    Also, for those vehicles with the coated leather seats, does the conditioner actually get into the leather itself? The owners manuals of my leather equipped cars say to hit the seats with diluted Woolite and then cover them with a protecant.
    It's important to avoid the stitching while using petroleum-based leather products, because that will damage the stitching over time. Pinnacle Black Label and Leather Master leather care products are not petroleum-based, so that's not an issue.

    Any reputable car care manufacturer and their chemists take "coated leather" into account when developing cleaners, conditioners, and other types of protectants. The point is you want to PROTECT the surface, regardless of what it's made of - that holds true for every part of your vehicle including plastic, paint, metal, carpet, leather, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    This is the best leather treatment thread I've seen so far, thanks for taking your time sharing your techniques.

    Would you think a Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt would work like your bonnet? It's cheaper than bonnet and both sides may be used.
    Meguiars X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt

    I'll get the whole line recommended to offer as a premium leather treatment, I'm sure I'll be backed up.

    Thought my leather was doing good... Just thought!

    Thanks for all info,

    Kind Regards.
    Great idea Tato, but I think I'll stick with the microfiber bonnets. I don't think it would be too comfortable to use a wash mitt to clean leather seats.

  8. #18
    Member xabo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    59

    Re: The Definitive Guide for LEATHER CARE - Including Dye Transfer Removal

    Would you recommend use on perforated leather?

  9. #19
    Senior Member Radarryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    778

    Re: The Definitive Guide for LEATHER CARE - Including Dye Transfer Removal

    Quote Originally Posted by xabo View Post
    Would you recommend use on perforated leather?
    SONAX Leather Foam Leather Cleaner & Conditioner, Sonax leather cleaner conditioner, sonax leather care

    I bought it because it says it is designed for heated/ventilated, perforated seats, which is what I have. I will try to post a review as to how I like its performance within the next week or so.

  10. #20
    Senior Member RMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lisboa, Portugal
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: The Definitive Guide for LEATHER CARE - Including Dye Transfer Removal

    Very nice tutorial Nick!

    Step 3, however, is a disputed one: I think leather specialists like judyb won't agree with its necessity.

    The mantra is: Protect from new (sealant) / Clean regularly (vacuum, etc) / Deep clean once or twice a year (use a foam-type of product) / Re-seal / ...

    The only conditioner leather needs is water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax
    By Nick@Autogeek in forum How to Articles
    Replies: 541
    Last Post: 08-11-2016, 01:55 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-07-2016, 01:17 PM
  3. Guide to Leather Care?
    By willowcat11 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 11:38 PM
  4. Help! MF pads, definitive guide?
    By jdmj0 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM
  5. The Definitive Guide to Headlight Restoration Kits
    By Nick@Autogeek in forum How to Articles
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 09:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» August 2016

31 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 123