autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How To: Finish Wheels With Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel, Detailer's Wheel Coating & CG Bare Bones.

How To: Finish Wheels With Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel, Detailer's Wheel Coating & CG Bare Bones.

Often people stop detailing their wheels after a simple wash, but to achieve the best results you'll need to take things a bit further. After you've cleaned your wheel wells, rims and tires it's time to add dressing to the wheel wells for a dark, uniform appearance, apply tire dressing to the tires to revive dull rubber and coat the rims with protection to enhance their gloss and help repel brake dust. This extra bit of effort will make all the difference in the end.

Let's get started.

Supplies:

Removing Road Paint From Plastic Wheel Wells.

Road paint or over spray is always a tedious pain to remove on plastic. I ended up using a small, rounded edge pry bar to gently pop off the dots of paint splatter. The rounded edge prevents scratching the plastic well wheel covers.

After removing the paint splatter I wiped the plastic down with a microfiber towel and Detailer's Road Kill. Besides just removing bugs and tar, it is great for heavily soiled areas.

My review and how-to of Detailer's Road Kill: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...g-remover.html

Dressing Wheel Well With CG Bare Bones.

Now that the wheel wells are clean it's time to spray them down with CG Bare Bones.

After soaking the wheel well, take a microfiber towel to evenly distribute the product and buff off any excess.

Looks MUCH better.

Dressing Tire with Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel.

Now it's time to dress and protect these dull looking tires.

Put a bead of product on the tire applicator pad and prime it with your finger. Then add another bead of product and begin applying the dressing to the tire.

Let the dressing cure for a couple minutes then come back and buff off any excess with a microfiber towel.

Everything is starting to come together.

Applying Detailer's Wheel Coating.

Detailer's Wheel Coating is easiest applied with a foam applicator pad. Spray the product directly onto the applicator and not the wheel so you have better control of were the coating goes.

For the first wheel spray the applicator pad twice. Once to prime the pad and again to ensure you have enough product to work onto the wheel's surface. You only need one spray per wheel, a little goes a long way.

After applying a thin, even coat, you can instantly buff the wheel to remove any excess product and to help level the coating.

Let's Check Out The Results.

Before:

After:

Pictures without the 1400 watt halogen light.

Final Thoughts:

I am a huge fan of all these products. Chemical Guys Bare Bones deepens well wheels like no other dressing I've ever used. The only down side is the price and it can't be diluted.

Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel is the perfect amount of shine I like from a tire dressing in just one coat. I didn't have to use a ton of product to cover the large Honda Pilot tire. The tire applicator pad is excellent compared to the microfiber applicator I was previously using, it definitely helps to save product and makes application a breeze.

Detailer's Wheel Coating simply makes well cleaned and prepped wheels look better than new. I had also used this product once before on a 2006 Nissan Altima with stellar results. My client could not believe they were the same wheels, they looked brand new.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Finish Wheels With Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel, Detailer's Wheel Coating & CG Bare Bones.

Excellent write-up.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Finish Wheels With Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel, Detailer's Wheel Coating & CG Bare Bones.

always a joy to read your write ups

Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for a great report.
    I applied Detailer’s Wheel Coating to my steel rims and wheel covers. This winter will be a good test.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review Scott. Enjoyed the read.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post
    Excellent write-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebamboo23 View Post
    always a joy to read your write ups

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Very nice review Scott. Enjoyed the read.
    Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHen View Post
    Thanks for a great report.
    I applied Detailer’s Wheel Coating to my steel rims and wheel covers. This winter will be a good test.
    Uncoated steel? I'll be interesting to see how it holds up as well. I've been very impressed with Detailer's Paint Coating, but we will see how long it really lasts.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are more pictures from when it finally stopped raining and I could pull the car outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work! What did you use to clean & prep the wheels before coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Challynger View Post
    Nice work! What did you use to clean & prep the wheels before coating?
    My normal wash method is CG El Diablo on the wheel, tire and wheel wells. If that's not strong enough I mix in some APC.

I used 3M adhesive remover on the wheels to make sure all road grim and tar was removed from the surface before applying the coating.

My wash method minus wheel wells: How To Clean Wheels & Tires Like A Pro | Incredibly Detailed