autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Restore & Protect Headlights with Detailer's Total Headlight Restoration Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Oceans05 View Post
    So I tried this similar set-up yesterday, except I used meguiars headlight PlastX. I used a craftsman bolt on drill with the setting on the screw drill setting.

It worked out, I would say, pretty good. It took me 2-3 buffs and passes to kind of get it cleaned.

The problem I ran into was - the purple wool pad came ungluged from the hook and loop backing.

I was pretty bummed to have this happened. I constantly kept moving the pad, performing similar motions as with a DA polishes on the car. I felt that I had moderate pressure, but for some reason was not getting the results I was after. Anyone else have the wool part separate from the hook and loop section due to heat build up?

I coated the lens with the meguiars headlight protection liquid.Thank you
    The backing material will separate from the wool pads if they get too hot. I either alternate between two pads or allow a single pad a couple minutes to cool down before polishing another headlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceans05 View Post
    Is there a difference in abrasiveness with the DP all in one cleaner and the meguiars PlastX?
    DP All In One Headlight Restoring Polish is far more abrasive than Meguiars PlastX, which will give it an advantage on headlights that are moderately or severely faded.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Restore & Protect Headlights with Detailer's Total Headlight Restoration Kit

Does the protectant work, eg durable? How long? Is it as good as other products such as Meguiars and opti-lens?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spewking View Post
    Does the protectant work, eg durable? How long? Is it as good as other products such as Meguiars and opti-lens?
    DP Headlight Protectant Spray is something that needs to be regularly applied - like a spray wax. Opti-Lens is considered a permanent coating that only needs to be applied once.

DP Headlight Protectant Spray only takes seconds (literally) to apply so I don't mind applying it every month or two. A little bit goes such a long way that a single 8 ounce bottle will easily last years.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys.

I too was worried about the wool pads falling apart as I read others had experienced. As a result, I ordered some 3" LC foam pads (1.25" thick I think) along with the DP headlight polish. I've not yet received the pads or the polish yet, but wondering if anyone else has used the DP headlight All in One polish with a foam pad?

I ordered the aggressive yellow and orange pads BTW.

Thanks
    ScottH

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I completed a restoration on a 2006 Nissan Murano. The lenses were completely yellow and faded. I used CG VSS and a Porter Cable DA for about 2 min per side. They look brand new. Question is, are those kits necessary or will the process I used last over time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested in the Detailer's Total Headlight Restoration Kit. Is the McKee's 37 Total Headlight Restoration Kit as good as the Detailer's Headlight Restoration? or is it the same product rebranded with McKee's name?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RV08 View Post
    I'm interested in the Detailer's Total Headlight Restoration Kit. Is the McKee's 37 Total Headlight Restoration Kit as good as the Detailer's Headlight Restoration? or is it the same product rebranded with McKee's name?
    IIRC it's just rebranded. Haven't used the McKee's stuff yet as I still have some DP left.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Detailer's Pro Series ("DP") is now known as McKee's 37.

Post Thanks / Like

Will the McKee's 37 Total Headlight Restoration Kit also work on the tail light lens or do you recommend a different product for tail light lens restoration?

Post Thanks / Like

Will the McKee's 37 Total Headlight Restoration Kit also work on the tail light lens or do you recommend a different product for tail light lens restoration?
    you can use it but honestly you can use just about any compound or polish on lights.

I polished the tails on this minivan with HD Adapt as I made my way around the back of the vehicle.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast