autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Properly Clean & Maintain a Coated Windshield

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Nope - you can simply mix it with water and make your own.
    It'd be prone to freezing if we did this during winter right? Or does it have antifreeze properties?
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of correlated questions, plus I'm waiting for answers to some of the questions posted above.

What backing plate do I use with my PCXP for the 5" CarPro Rayon pads?

Will FlyBy30 be available as a standalone product without superfluous towels and applicators?

I already have gallons of D120. Shouldn't that work just fine?
    Francesco

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    A couple of thoughts...

- Coatings/sealants - just like with paint products, there are some coatings which are actually sealants. Unlike with paint products, it is harder to identify because it is pretty easy to get a very strong bond to glass. For instance, I have a coating which lasts for 18 months to 2 years. Alternatively I have several sealant type products which will last a year or longer. If it wasn't for me telling the customers, the sealant is more than durable enough to be sold to compete with some coatings, even though it costs about 10 times less to make.

- Use of top up products on a coating. I am uncertain about the wisdom of this. Not all such boosters will be the same but I know that neither of our booster repellents will offer the same water repellency as the longer life products. Perhaps more crucially, they tend to degrade more via contamination 'sticking' than abrasive removal. What that means is that performance drops because they get dirty rather than because they are removed. In other words, put them on top of the coating and the performance is dictated by the booster, not the coating. To rejuvenate, you need more thorough cleaning than the coating alone... Personally, I go with one approach or the other.
    Your input is appreciated.

I refrain from using my windshield washer fluid and wiper blades as often as I can, because the coating (any coating) isn't going to get better from the abrasion created by the windshield wipers...it's going to get worse.

If I absolutely HAVE to clean my windshield in between washes, I use Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner because it is very mild and it boosts the hydrophobic properties of the coating. It's a win win in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by CDot View Post
    It'd be prone to freezing if we did this during winter right? Or does it have antifreeze properties?
    It doesn't have antifreeze properties, so if you live in a northern climate you will still want to use the proper washer fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    I have a couple of correlated questions, plus I'm waiting for answers to some of the questions posted above.

What backing plate do I use with my PCXP for the 5" CarPro Rayon pads?

Will FlyBy30 be available as a standalone product without superfluous towels and applicators?

I already have gallons of D120. Shouldn't that work just fine?
    1. 5 inch backing plate. Reason being, a 5 inch backing plate isn't actually 5 inches. They're usually an 1/8th of an inch or so under 5 inches.

2. That's a great glass cleaner, but not one that I would use to maintain a coated windshield. It is more of an aggressive cleaner, which is not necessary for a coated windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Noted, thanks. I'll save it for inside the car, and in/out on un coated cars.

Max owes you a raise. My Wish list and cart keep growing every time you post.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

And the FlyBy30? Already have Ceriglass and Eraser, applicators, MFs...
    Francesco

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    And the FlyBy30? Already have Ceriglass and Eraser, applicators, MFs...
    It's only available in a "kit" at this time. I've detailed a lot of cars, and I work on my own cars more than I should...one thing I've learned is that you can never have too many microfiber towels or applicators.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't I know it! LOL My wife cringes every time she pulls into the garage and has to face the entire rack shelf unit (six 36"x18" shelves) stacked full of sorted and categorized clean MFs, mitts, sponges and pads... Then she gets out of the car and sees the three-section laundry hamper full of used MFs and pads. Hehehehe
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

What I have found is most 3 stage glass products are relatively the same. You need to adjust your technique to the product in most cases. My combination is Optimum based, but that doesn't make it the best for anyone.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123