autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional

Amazing writeup! I need to get some of those sprayable trim dressings like DP or Chemical guys back to black

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inyadreems View Post
    I do most if not all of the preventive steps in this write up when I detail an engine but I use different products such as APC (switching to OPC) and a different brand dressing.

I also use a power washer hose nozzle that is about 2 feet long to get down into the bay.

My question is it is a good idea to have the engine running when using the hose to rinse? I have noticed that local car washes will pressure wash the engine before going thorugh the tunnel with the engine running.

What I like to do is hose, then start the engine immediately and use a leaf blower to dry while engine is running.
    I personally prefer to do everything while the engine is off, but I have heard of some people doing what you describe.

I'm an advocate of the saying "better safe than sorry." especially when working on something as costly as an engine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks very good, but the imagination of me pouring water over the LT1 engine in my 95 corvette gives me the creeps. The d***ed Optispark is too unforgiving when it comes to fluids and water.
    Any advice what i could do to clean up this engine? Basically any water rinsing is prohibited, because of the Optispark and it's cost to replace it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    I personally prefer to do everything while the engine is off, but I have heard of some people doing what you describe.

I'm an advocate of the saying "better safe than sorry." especially when working on something as costly as an engine.
    Gottchya.

I like to start the engine after hosing and while drying, my reasoning is if if got something vital wet the heat from the engine and combined with the leaf blower will help it dry quicker. Then again running current through an electrical component while wet can fry it.

I might switch to leaving the engine off till done. thanx

Post Thanks / Like

This is another example of one of the finest How-To threads I've seen. Nick takes you step by step through the process and points out some very important things to do "before" you turn on the hose.

Nick always includes the chemicals and tools he uses, sort of like a list of things to have at your disposal before getting started.

The photos are again superb and some of those areas that tend to get overlooked are pointed out and addressed...

Sticky Worthy!!

Nice work Nick!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post

Sticky Worthy!!

Nice work Nick!!
    Already ahead of you Bobby.

One of the featured products, Detailer's Trim Detailer, is actually on BOGO through August 31st.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write-up about an area of the car that is often overlooked!

Post Thanks / Like

Curious what kindof mess this leaves under the car when done?

If someone were to do this on a home driveway, would it leave a greasy mess of gunk that a little rain or hose could not remove. Or is it just a bit of dirt that needs to be hosed away?

I'd like to detail my engine compartment, but not sure where I should attempt it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineMyCar View Post
    Curious what kindof mess this leaves under the car when done?

If someone were to do this on a home driveway, would it leave a greasy mess of gunk that a little rain or hose could not remove. Or is it just a bit of dirt that needs to be hosed away?

I'd like to detail my engine compartment, but not sure where I should attempt it.

I did this on my concrete driveway and had no trouble with it leaving a mess on the concrete. I used DP Degreaser and I'm sure my concrete was not sealed at all. I believe the grease is dissolved enough and with the water it rinses right off the concrete.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a blacktop driveway with a slight slope. If the drive is wet prior to the engine cleaning process and the dirt/oil pieces are small (not using a paint scraper to remove), the dirt will rinse away. Engines take me a long time and I always feel I can do better. But, look great after a few hours effort. I have had the auto mechanic comment what a pleasure to work on my vehicles.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast