autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Preparing surface for CQ or OC

The key to having a successful application of either CQuartz or Opti Coat is proper surface preparation. The obvious thing here is to have the surface as defect-free as possible. It's like your grad picture...it's gonna show that way for a long time so make sure it's the way you want it! As far as using polishes, do not use something that has glaze or sealant in it. Just use a pure polish.

The other important point and a key to success is properly cleaning the surface prior to application. Avi suggests using a 90/10 mix of 90% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol to 10% Alkaline-based cleaner like Dawn or Krud Kutter or any APC that is high on the alkaline scale. The reason for the mix is that IRA will not, by iteself, remove oils on the surface that can be left by oils in the polish. It needs the assistance of the alkaline. Alkaline cuts oils. So, immediately prior to applying either product, spray the surface with the mix and rub it gently (you don't want to scratch your now perfect finish) till you get the surface squeaky clean. Use 2 mf's: one to apply and one to remove. Lastly, check the surface under LED's if you have them or in the sun (if it's available) or both if you can. If it passes inspection, you're good to go. Crank the tunes, grab a beer and have some fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preparing surface for CQ or OC

Great info buddy! It looks like it is going to be a little too cold & wet this weekend to do CQ. Bummer!
    BTW for those new to the forum, IMO Richy has more experience with the coatings than anyone I know!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend that Optimum include a small bottle of the PROPER IPA solution with their kit (or exact instructions therein)...their product is far too radical a step (permanent) for many to be wrong in the surface prep step.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I too will be applying CQ to my hood first!

So looking at all the assistance and advise I can get to get it right the first time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post

The other important point and a key to success is properly cleaning the surface prior to application. Avi suggests using a 90/10 mix of 90% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol to 10% Alkaline-based cleaner like Dawn or Krud Kutter or any APC that is high on the alkaline scale. The reason for the mix is that IRA will not, by iteself, remove oils on the surface that can be left by oils in the polish. It needs the assistance of the alkaline. Alkaline cuts oils. So, immediately prior to applying either product, spray the surface with the mix and rub it gently (you don't want to scratch your now perfect finish) till you get the surface squeaky clean. Use 2 mf's: one to apply and one to remove. Lastly, check the surface under LED's if you have them or in the sun (if it's available) or both if you can. If it passes inspection, you're good to go. Crank the tunes, grab a beer and have some fun.

Can ironX be used to strip?

I Just have IPA and DP cleanse all APC!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I would recommend that Optimum include a small bottle of the PROPER IPA solution with their kit (or exact instructions therein)...their product is far too radical a step (permanent) for many to be wrong in the surface prep step.
    Just apply it to bare paint. Get to that point any way you like: Power Clean wash, IPA 10% for 2-3 passes, dawn wash, prepsol, etc. Till now we only offered it to pros, and as such they should know how to prep paint. Once you guys have used OC you will totally realize how much you've over thought it. It is VERY easy. I'd watch that 90% mixture, some paints will not react well.

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...I saw that 90% IPA solution reply and said wow...we better get a clear answer from optimum on this issue. The 10% IPA is what I would consider "normal" and safe. Thanks for clearing that up. You are right.. Perhaps we are over-thinking this. I will try the product.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Uuumm I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask....

What's Opti-Coat for/do????
    I don't want it to look wet, I want it to look Soaked!

Post Thanks / Like

top secret

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering about both of these products. Would / could they be used as a reasonable substitute for a clear bra? Specifically, could I prep my bumper and mirrors, then apply 3-4 coats of these, adding hardness and resistance to paint chips?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast