autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Matt

Trim & Molding Care

To view this article on our webpage, click here.

Trim & Molding Care

Nearly every vehicle you see on the road has some sort of black plastic or rubber trim on the exterior. As your vehicle ages, this trim fades and dries out if it isn’t protected. The trim is often overlooked because people either don’t know how to properly care for it or they don’t realize what an impact it makes on the overall appearance of the vehicle. This guide will give you some suggestions on how to keep trim and moldings looking like new for the life of your vehicle.

Regular maintenance

Wash the trim and moldings when you wash the rest of the vehicle. On coarse pieces, you may want to use a Pinnacle Detailing Brush, found in the Pinnacle Detailing Brush Kit. For larger pieces of trim, you might find it easier to use the OXO Car Wash Brush. A brush will allow you to pull contaminants out of the pores of the material. These contaminants may be contributing to the discoloration of the rubber or plastic. Avoid using stiff bristle brushes on smooth black plastic; it will scratch.

If you already have a dressing on the trim and molding, clean it off periodically. Layering dressings will eventually result in discoloration because the outermost layers are not curing to the rubber; they are just sitting on top of old layers. Take a moment to clean off old dressings at least every two months using DP Exterior Surface Cleaner. Spray a microfiber towel and wipe down the trim pieces to avoid overspray.

Once your vehicle is clean and dried, you need to protect the trim pieces with a quality rubber, vinyl, and plastic protectant. This will help prevent future UV degradation, which is the primary cause of fading. Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Protectant and 303 Aerospace Protectant are both exceptional products. They both provide excellent UV protection with a non-greasy, satin finish. Use a microfiber applicator pad to spread the protectant over the surface. It will provide an even coat without dripping or running. I apply protectant to my vehicles once a month because the sun is intense in Florida, but once every two months is probably sufficient in most climates.

When applying protectant, don’t skip the wiper cowl (the plastic piece at the bottom of the windshield), the mirrors (if applicable), and window and door moldings. Use a detailing swab to apply protectant in tight spaces. Open your doors and apply protectant to the rubber gaskets, too. If they become dry or brittle, they will not effectively keep out air and road noise. Wurth makes an excellent product for this purpose. Wurth Rubber Care is packaged in a sponge tipped bottle so you can rub it right onto gaskets. It will prevent freezing in winter months and it is silicone-free.

Restoration

If your black trim and molding have already faded, there are options to restore them. Forever Black is a black dye for coarse rubber and plastic pieces. The dye contains UV protectants to prevent future fading and its polymer formula ensures lasting color. Forever Black is a permanent dye so use care when applying it. In fact, test it out on an inconspicuous area before applying to all the trim. Keep in mind that it will not be able to absorb evenly into smooth plastic.

The Forever Black Bumper & Trim Dye Kit comes with a cleaner and a bottle of dye. The dye has a sponge-tip right on the bottle for easy application. Turn the bottle upside down and press it against something to get the dye flowing. Spread a thin, even coat over the surface and allow it to dry for 20 minutes. No buffing is required.

If your trim isn’t quite black or you have smooth plastic surfaces, another option is Black Again. This product is a shiny dressing that significantly darkens the color of the plastic or rubber. The trim will look like its wet. The gloss can be toned down by allowing the dressing to penetrate for a few minutes and then wiping it with a microfiber towel. Terry cloth towels will leave lint so it’s best to stick with microfiber for this job.

Don’t forget the license plate frame

If you have a black plastic license plate frame, it will benefit from a coat of protectant, too. Use a detailing swab or the corner of your microfiber applicator to apply a thin coat. For frames that contain a clear plastic lens, clean and protect it with Plexus to prevent yellowing.

2. Thanks dogMEAT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good info in that little snippit. Some other products for trim & molding care would be: Chemical Guy's Gel-New Look Trim Restorer, Chemical Guy's V.R.T. & Meg's #38.
    I love the CG Gel. It's the first product I've used that lasts for a long time & doesn't run all over your paint during rain or washings.
    Carnauba Geek!

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboy's trim restorer & Adams VRT nuff said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami_Sunset
    Ain't that the truth. Adam's Vrt>PB NL

Post Thanks / Like
    For the rubber door molding I use a silicone spary. Works excellent. Watch for overspray and wipe excess off. Work good for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently started using the Pinnacle protectant mentioned in the first post. Great suff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are 303 ap and Pinnacle V&R Protectant the same type of liquidy product? Once, I finish off my PB NL I am on to another dressing!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami_Sunset
    Does the Poorboy's trim restorer really work that well? Does it really restore faded trim or is it just a very good vinyl dressing? I have used Mother's Back to black and it says it restores the trim, and it does, but after a while it seems like it goes back to being faded again, so I am looking for another trim restoring type product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on that with Back to Black! It make trim look like garbage once it has worn off!!

Post Thanks / Like
    What about when a sealer, or paste wax is applied to the finish, can't you go over those trim plastic, moldings, etc with those protectors?? as long as the plastic trim is not faded, and the black is still black in good condition overall

When I seal and wax my buggy I go over everything with the sealer and souverin except the rubber and glass.

And looks good to me! but thats why im here, i may be missing something and if so?? this is the place to learn........
    Last edited by BILL; 05-03-2006 at 10:49 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast