autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

How to Apply Dodo Pastes Waxes by Machine

How to Apply Dodo Pastes Waxes by Machine

Copyright ©PBMA - AutogeekOnline.net® All Rights Reserved

You'll need a DA Polisher like this Porter Cable 7424XP with a 5.5" Flat Gray Finishing Pad, Dodo Juice Banana Armour Hard Waxand some Microfiber Gloves. For this step you could substitute any quality finishing wax or paint sealant. Here's a list of finishing waxes, sealants and hybrids.

How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project

For this procedure I'm going to place a microfiber glove over one hand in order to hold the wax without contaminating it or without it slipping out of my hand.

To get the wax out of the plastic jar you just have to carefully knock it out using inertia by holding the jar upside down and then knocking it against your other hand with a Microfiber Glove on it.

Then hold the polisher in one hand and the wax in your other hand with the glove on it and blip the on/off button of the polisher while holding the wax against the face of the pad and you can quickly transfer wax to the pad.

The Microfiber Gloves keep the wax clean until you place it back into the jar and enable you to grip the wax so it doesn't slip out of your hand and onto the floor...

Ready to start laying down some Banana Armour...

It takes a little muscle to do this because in one hand you're holding the wax and the other hand is holding the polisher for the duration of time it takes to run the polisher over every square inch of the car. If you had a helper they could hold the wax with microfiber gloves on and you could use both hands to hold the polisher, then as you needed more wax your helper could apply the wax while you hold the polisher, otherwise hit the gym.

If you look carefully you can see I spelled out Dodo on the hood in my wax pattern...

In the forum world you'll often read people talking about getting the "Sun Shot" , that's where they pull their project car out into the sun to show there are no swirls in the paint.

The below shot is kind of like the "Sun Shot", but I call it the "Fun Shot" because I was just having some fun with the Dodo name in wax.

I used a rubberband to hold a Cobra Indigo Microfiber Bonnet over a 3" Griot's Garage Polishing Pad on a DA Polisher and took the wax off only where the word DODO was spelled out and then pulled the car into the sun for a "Fun Shot".

The Sun Shot Fun Shot

Yep, this is how you get the high overhead shot, you have to get up in the air a little ways...

Removing the wax
    After capturing the fun shot I pulled the car back into our studio and let the hood cool down and then removed the wax by hand using Cobra Indigo Microfiber Towels. Always fold your towels 4 ways to give you 8 sides to wipe with and to provide cushion to spread out the pressure of you hand.

Below is a link to a video and at the end of the video I show how to remove Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 by hand using the Cobra Indigo Microfiber Towels. In this video I share a technique I call "Breaking the Wax Open" and then "Creeping Out". Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is a finishing synthetic paint sealant but the technique shared in the video can be used with any finishing wax, sealant or hybrid.

How to Apply a Synthetic Paint Sealant by Hand using the Straightline Technique

After removing the majority of the wax it's time to give the paint a final wipe. Here's an article on the technique for giving paint a final wipe.

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Apply Dodo Pastes Waxes by Machine

Mike,
    I must say, you have a fun job! LOL
    Dirt-B-Gone Mobile Detailing
    www.HandWashAndWax.com
    facebook.com/DBGMobileDetailing John Wells

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the concept behind the Super Natural Machine Stick.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    Looks like the concept behind the Super Natural Machine Stick.
    Or the Griot's Garage Carnauba Wax Stick...

I often times write article on-the-fly...

The deal is I wasn't using Supernatural Wax Machine Stick , I chose Banana Armour, part of the reason was because it states right on the label it's for "warm colors".

I think I even mentioned this in the full article this was extracted from...

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Post Thanks / Like

I swear I can see Dodo "in" the wax, not just "on" the finish

Scott