autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to clean your foam pad on the fly

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
    Any tips on cleaning your pad while using a Flex? Or pull them off and put them on a GG and clean them on the fly? I have a pad brush but it seems to eat up the pad on flex.

Cotton Terrycloth Towel
    I demonstrated this in my Flex 3401 Class at Detail Fest so while this class was taped live, there were people standing in front of me during the cleaning demo so all you see are their backs.

Basically, fold a towel into a ball and hold it tightly against the pad as it spins. Here's a screenshot from my power point presentation.

Note: You want to use terry cloth towel for this, like a wash cloth or a hand towel as the characteristic of terrycloth is the fibers are more stout than soft gentle microfibers that make-up microfiber towels and you need this stoutness to help clean the gunk off the pad.

Nylon Pad Conditioning Brush
    You can also hold a nylon pad conditioning brush against the face of the pad with the machine turned on but if you push very hard at all it will tend to tear up the foam.

What I do instead is simply brush the face of the pad with the pad conditioning brush with the machine turned OFF. Still does a good job and doesn't tear up your pad.

2. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: How to clean your foam pad on the fly

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thanks alot Mike for your explanation.. i am newbie with detailing things.. i read your article and watch your video everyday. You are my role model.. =) I prefer choose fast method with " on the fly " , because i dont have pad washer and i dont know my toothbrush is made from nylon or not =P. Thanks again Mike, God Bless u and your family.

Post Thanks / Like

I find a toothbrush works fine as long as you don't apply much pressure
    Harrisonburg's #1 Recommended Detailer - RawDetail.com - DetalingAddict.com

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I have used this technique on the PC for some time. I just bought a Rupees (hasn't come yet) and I assume it will work equally well on the Rupees. (The reason I ask is you have mentioned about every DA I have ever heard of except Rupees in this thread!)

Mike Phillips

Just some more fodder..... from this thread,

Pictures & Videos: 2003 Honda Civic Extreme Makeover - Duragloss

Here's Louie cleaning his pad on the fly using a terry cloth towel...

Rub rub rub...

And back to work, it's a fast cleaning process to get you back to what's important and that's keeping that pad buffing on the paint...

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you get quality terry cloth towels anymore? All the ones in stores are so cheap you can see right through them, and Meguiar's terry towels are nowhere to be found.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having real problems with my towels linting while using this technique to clean the pads on the fly. I'm using 100% cotton terry cloth towels, but getting all the "fuzzies" on my pads afterwards!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeast14GT View Post

Where do you get quality terry cloth towels anymore?

All the ones in stores are so cheap you can see right through them, and Meguiar's terry towels are nowhere to be found.

I have Nick looking for a sources for the towels I use.

Terry cloth towels are actually a very important tool. I know everyone always talks microfiber but there's so many times when the stoutness of terry cloth is preferred over the gentleness to microfiber.

I could probably list a dozen topics but here's one...

When doing a multiple step paint polishing process that includes compounding before polishing, a clean, soft terry cloth towel is preferred, (at least by me), for removing the compound residue FAST over microfiber because of the more stout fibers.

If the terry cloth towel induces any scratching the next step. the polishing step will remove it. So it's a non-issue in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

A year and a half later, is the terry cloth still the best method for cleaning the flex on the fly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brunkel View Post
    I'm having real problems with my towels linting while using this technique to clean the pads on the fly. I'm using 100% cotton terry cloth towels, but getting all the "fuzzies" on my pads afterwards!

I have exactly the same problem, even after washing them a few times they still lint when using them to clean on the fly.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast